News: THE MULE, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood: now on disc and streaming!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What makes Clint a star?  (Read 3935 times)
female clint

whatever :o)

View Profile Email
« on: May 13, 2003, 10:12:27 AM »

hi, i am new here, but i have one really important question i need to solve for a class i am taking. the class is called "star studies" and i picked clint eastwood as my topic. what i want to know from you all is: what makes clint a star? why is he a star?

please write me all your thoughts - thanx a ton  :D

femaile clint
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2003, 10:32:34 AM »

Hi -

Why don't you pick two or three "stars" in Hollywood, preferably males so that you can compare them to Eastwood?  Then, list what you think makes each of them a star.  Some of the characteristics will probably be the same but not all will.  Compare your lists and see what you think Eastwood has that maybe the others don't have.  And, if you like Eastwood and his movies, list what it is about his acting, directing, and choices of movies that make you a fan. Ask yourself what Eastwood has done throughout his career that has allowed him to stay at the top of the business for 40 or 45 years.  Have the roles he has chosen been appropriate to his age and maturity?  Have his choices of movies been topical and appealing to the public?

You might surprise yourself and be able to answer the question you posed to us.

What level of study is this?  High school? College? Or, ___?
female clint

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2003, 02:34:16 PM »

hi mgk, good thinking, but the professor doesn't want me to concentrate on my own opinion (i know why clint is a star to me) but rather would like to know what the broad audience thinks.

what is it that society believes clint is a star? is it the charakters he plays, his appearance, certain moves or sayings that makes the audience want to be like clint?

i believe i need more than just my own thoughts on this one. and your help would be great. (although i admit, your thoughts were already very helpful) - hope to read more!

btw: the class is for university - it's a free class we could choose and i am in it because of interest. :D
misty71

I'm a guitar player

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2003, 03:17:10 PM »

I'm not real good at this but here it goes ;D

To me, Clint is a star, because he doesn't do movies for the mere purpose of commercial benefit, or because of the trend, he does original movies, with believable characters .
 I like the fact that the action in his movies isn't too over the top - no huge explosions, no robots or nuclear whatever, you know what I mean.It's always something that could happen in real life (this is a little far-fetched for some of his movies, but I'm speaking generally)
 His dry sense of humour adds a certain warmth to his characters and he has a very expressive face -just think of the squint- and a good voice.He doesn't need to talk that much tought- a couple lines is all he needs to get the message trough.
 I think the fact that he directs movies too just goes to show what a variety of stuff he can manage. He also was mayor of carmel, and had his own beer (That doesn't help, but it doesn't hurt), a golf clothinline and it goes on...
 You mentioned his appearance, of course, that helps too, but I think it's mostly his persona and charisma that makes him a true star, both on and off the screen.

I hope this was helpful. It's why he's a star to me.

"I've never had a problem with drugs. I've had problems with the police."
 Keith Richards
female clint

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2003, 02:58:43 AM »

hi everybody,

to be honest, i don't think you guys have any idea what it is that makes clint eastwood a star. i totally get that impression, that you all like him - but why? it seems that nobody actually knows and this sounds - to put it nice - lame to me. there is this great web-site with awesome people who all talk about this great actor, but no one can tell me why he is such a star!?!

give me your opinion about it! i want to hear what you have to say, because it seems you don't have to say anything to this!!

female clint
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2003, 04:11:46 AM »

female Clint,

I've merged your new topic with this one, as it pertains to the same subject.

The reason you're not getting many answers to this question is because most of our members here don't want to take the time to do someone else's homework assignment for them.  That's not what this board is here for.  We even have long-time members who work on projects about Clint Eastwood and don't come here and ask the other members to do their assignments for them.  

If your professor wants to know why the "broad audience thinks Clint Eastwood is a star", I doubt he means to get on an internet board and ask everyone there to answer the question for you.  Try researching this by going to the library and looking through books, or by reading online press reviews, for a start.  If you come back with some reasons you think Clint is a star, then let's hear them, and then you might get some responses.  
Daisy Abigael

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2003, 07:57:26 AM »

hi everybody,

to be honest, i don't think you guys have any idea what it is that makes clint eastwood a star. i totally get that impression, that you all like him - but why? it seems that nobody actually knows and this sounds - to put it nice - lame to me. there is this great web-site with awesome people who all talk about this great actor, but no one can tell me why he is such a star!?!

give me your opinion about it! i want to hear what you have to say, because it seems you don't have to say anything to this!!

female clint

That's a bit of a bleeding cheeky thing to say, Female!

As Matt says - we ain't here to do your homework for you.  But also - it's a very difficult question.

Why is anyone a star? What is a star?

Difficult.

Clint Eastwood is a handsome, manly man.  He has charisma and good bone structure.  But none of these things do it on their own.

His choice of roles is a major part of it.  The fact that he became associated with a type of action character at the right point in history.

He combined basic sex appeal - with an image of masculinity men, especially youngish men, could identify with.  At a point in time when old certainties and values were being challenged - his image represented a cool, detached attitude to conventional morality.

He sure wasn't old hat, man!

But then neither was he counter-culture.  No Easy Rider hippy.  His values may have been harder and more cynical - for a harder and more cynical age - but he never left the true path of the American Way.  he just took a few shortcuts.  

Hard working, ordinary Joes could identify with his no-nonsence go-get it philosophy.  The art-house bunch - when they weren't sneering along with Pauline Kael - could dig his stylish cool and flip black humour.  Women - all women - wanted to sleep with him.

That's a heck of a demographic!

And as he aged, he mostly adapted to the changing times - got a bit rocky in the eighties but then nobody's perfect.

The Man With No Name was cool for the sixties; then Dirty Harry caught the mood of mainstream America in the waning years of flower power.  As his original audience has greyed, he has explored that process in his films.  He hasn't stood still.

What makes him a star then - a combination of extreme attractiveness, personal magnatism, good fortune to be in the right place at the right time, shrewd control of his screen image, the intelligence to appeal to differing audiences within the same movie and uniqueness!

That's probably the most important thing.  There is only one Clint.  Others have copied him, but he goes on being the only Clint.  Just as Wayne and Bogart before him we're one offs.  He is in the trradition of great movie stars - but he is at the same time totally himself.

Daisy Girl!
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2003, 08:09:29 AM »

I have a suggestion, female Clint. Perhaps you should do some investigating yourself about Clint's appeal, find some characteristics that you consider to be important, talk to a few people asking why they consider him a star, and then do some type of survey that would zero in on some of the most important aspects for you. It would help you to focus your project a little bit better, and it may also get you an answer to your question, at least then perhaps if the results are somewhat inconclusive, you could conclude from that that Clint's stardom is somewhat inexplicable, denying classification entirely. At the very least you will be able to identify certain overarching characteristics that seem to be important. You may even want to add a few questions comparing Clint to other actors. By doing this survey and investigating on your own, you'll show us here at the web board, you'll impress your professor by including the survey in your project, and you'll demonstrate to yourself that you're serious about finding out what it is, or at least attempting to find out, that people like about Clint. I would be careful not to just post the survey or questionnaire on the web board and have all of us take it, because we're all a certain type of people here that are die hard Clint fans (more or less) and so by doing it JUST on the web board, and not out there in your own communities as well, it will be more difficult to obtain results with population parameters that can be applied to the general population. Remember, your study aims to find out what Clint's GENERAL appeal is, not just his appeal on places like his web board, where people will already have a somewhat skewed, somewhat biased opinion of him and his works. By having more of a two pronged approach both on the board and at large in the community, you'll get a much more accurate picture. I hope that helps, and I hope you'll take my suggestion into consideration.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2003, 03:32:22 PM »

Daisy, great answer.  If I was the professor, I'd give you an "A".

Female Clint, using Daisy's response will probably get you a good grade too.
misty71

I'm a guitar player

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2003, 04:53:06 PM »

I think daisy put that in very nice words. ;D ;D

as far as
to be honest, i don't think you guys have any idea what it is that makes clint eastwood a star. i totally get that impression, that you all like him - but why? it seems that nobody actually knows and this sounds - to put it nice - lame to me.

We gave you our opinion. We all know what makes clint a star, and you'd do to if you were a fan.
I gave it a shot, sorry if it was lame ::)

"I've never had a problem with drugs. I've had problems with the police."
 Keith Richards
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2003, 07:16:28 PM »

I'd be careful about calling things "lame" around here. The last person who did that...well, it wasn't pretty. :D ;)

Just kidding you there. :)

As Daisy pointed out, it's not an easy question to answer:
Why is anyone a star? What is a star?
Eastwood struck a nerve with the public at the right time and in the right place. I've watched Clint Eastwood nearly my entire life and if someone came up to me and asked me "Why is Eastwood a star?" I can't honestly say I could give an answer. And if someone gives an answer, it's probably not a good idea to tell them that you're not satisfied with that answer. There's no equation to what makes a person a star or not. They are, or they're not. If you wanted to simplify it a lot: Eastwood is a star because he is in movies. That might be a little too basic, though.

There have been some good responses to this thread so far. Good job fellas, or fellettes. ;D
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2003, 08:36:31 PM »

Hey Chris, your lame. Uh-oh... (just ribbing yah)

Seriously though, you are lame. (ah Im only kidding  ;D)

for serious stuff now, it is hard to try and say or find out how Clint is a star. Is it becuase he picked the right roles? He was in the right place at the right time? He makes very good movies with interesting characters and interesting story lines or is it becuase he's just an ordinary guy who came from a hard life and managed to do good?

Who really knows?

Daisy said some good things, and maybe you could 'borrow' those and build on them.

Maybe if you would have come to the board and offered your opinion as to why he is a star and gave thoughts and stuff we would have been more than happy to help you out and agree or disagree with you. But just asking us to say stuff isnt really helping you.

You need to help us, so we can help you. Like Matt said:

The reason you're not getting many answers to this question is because most of our members here don't want to take the time to do someone else's homework assignment for them.  
female clint

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2003, 11:14:42 AM »

i am very impressed. very much so. compliment to this web-discussion. :-*

i get the feeling we started off the wrong foot and i apologize. i don't want you to make my homework - that's my job! :) maybe i approached the subject from the wrong angle, but i am very glad to see where this discussion is going.

i admit, i am not a die hard clint fan, but interested in his person as a star (and for the record - that's not only because of my class). i for myself have the impression that he plays characters that match his apperance, personality, age - he also started with his italo-western movies at the right time. after wayne - the hero - he established a picture of an anti-hero that makes right choices and everybody in an audience can somewhat somewhere relate to. but not only his cowboy-image brought him to where he is now. i mean - you guys don't love him only because of  his western-movies? it's also dirty harry or bird that makes him likeable, isn't it? but how does space cowboys fit the picture? isn't he totally making fun of his own image - referring to the time as cowboy and then this story?

i talked to a clint-fan in my class and he sure thinks that movie was a down point because "it's just ridiculous  - that's not him, what was he thinking?" (quote) is that true? i am still not sure about it, because he did this movie - trying to change his image? makes me think - and then his newest work: blood work? i haven't seen it yet, but my friend had to write a movie critic on it and said, he totally "cemented" his image as the hard guy with the right decission. he has disadvantages and gets betrayed by his "friend", but still is the hero in the end? or did i get that wrong?
these are some thoughts and experiences i wanted to share - not too much for the moment, but i guess pretty ok for the start. i am going to an archive from a newspaper to check out filmcritics and articles on clint. see what the media says, because media reflects public opinion, or is it the other way around? and isn't his website media too?

i hope i was a little more helpful to you - after the motto: i help you so you can help me.  - and btw - no way you guys are lame, 'cause you react to provocing thoughts  ;) i like that
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2003, 03:42:45 PM »

As for Space Cowboys making fun of his image ...  That's part of what has made him such an interesting filmmaker and a gutsy actor.  Because he has such a strong image that he has been able to play with it from almost the beginning.  In The Beguiled he plays a character who is ultimately defeated by a bunch of school girls and their headmaster.  Following that was Play Misty for Me, where he's just an average guy who finds himself tormented and manipulated by an obsessed woman -- but by no means is he totally innocent.  He plays with his image in The Gauntlet ... playing the disenchanted, drunken version of Dirty Harry really, until he finds the motivation to fight back.  

He pokes fun at his image more in Every Which Way But Loose and in Bronco Billy.  But those movies, esp. Bronco Billy, were more than simply him trying to play off his image for laughs, which is why he's so interesting.  He directed Bronco Billy and he has always claimed it's one of his favorite movies, and the movie stands on its own, but is more interesting because it is Clint and he always has the image of Clint to contend with.  You ask the average person about Clint and they'll come up with "Go ahead, make my day!"  He's the ultimate tough guy, but there's so much more to his films and his personality than that.  

Unforgiven, too, can be viewed -- and should be viewed in part to really appreciate the movie -- as further playing with his image.  Here he can be seen as an aged version of the Man With No Name, who no longer can even shoot a tin can with a pistol, who can barely mount his horse -- he's been cured of wickedness by his deseased wife, but he's also a wash up.  And this is why, I think, a lot of people object to the movie.  They don't want to see Clint playing a washed up gunfighter, who allows himself to be beat up so badly he doesn't recover for three days.  In the end, of course, he reverts back to the old days -- but the movie is so rich and deep that there's a mixture of excitement and remorse on our part, because we want to see him kicking ass, but we also feel his torment at going against the wishes of his wife, who has instilled in him a conscience he can no more drink away.

What is great about Clint is that he's a serious filmmaker, who has also proven himself as the ultimate popular icon.  Or rather he was first the huge film star who has proven himself the consumate filmmaker.  He is a brand name, in ad lingo.  "Clint Eastwood" brings to mind in people a very strong image -- yet had he only relied on that image, of playing the ultimate macho hero, he would have faded out long ago.  He's survived because he's always been able to choose roles that deviate from his main image far enough to be new and original and interesting while not totally alienating his core audience.  There's been occassions when the audience didn't follow him, but the audience would always look for the next picture.  The Beguiled sank into oblivion, and I'm sure there were a great number of disappointed fans, but then the movie became an oddity over time, even gaining a cult following.  And the most perspective fans realized the movie had serious themes and on its own, outside the Clint image, was a masterful film.  And Clint, even in his most outrageous films, has always been able to give the audience enough of what they wanted to see in him, that they allowed for his idiosyncrasies.  And by playing characters with deep personal flaws, he has given the audience more to root for.  Dirty Harry in The Gauntlet wouldn't have made for an interesting movie -- but making the character flawed gives the film life.  Same with Tightrope ... same with a bunch of his movies.  It's almost become his trademark, but a little realized trademark to the average filmgoer, who hasn't stopped to analyze his work.

I don't know if my rambling has helped define why he's a star, but I'm glad you're looking critically at him as a filmmaker.  

And by the way, most of us here can equally appreciate the higly popular Dirty Harry and the artistic Bird.  We may watch Dirty Harry a few times more, but when we do watch his artistic films we can appreciate them all the more.  And of course the best of both worlds are films like The Outlaw Josey Wales and Unforgiven (to name the two most mentioned ones) which are both exciting and artistic.  

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2003, 07:41:06 PM »

That's very well put, Doug!  :D
ajay

man with no name

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2003, 01:05:30 AM »

i think clint is a star because of his personality,his style,his screen presence,his facial expressions and his speech delivery.

rowdyyates
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T