News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eastwood's Longtime Cinematographer Bruce Surtees Dies  (Read 3643 times)
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« on: February 27, 2012, 06:47:30 AM »

Clint Eastwood's longtime collaborator Bruce Surtees has died at the age of 74.

The Oscar-nominated cinematographer passed away last Thursday, according to Variety. No more details about his death were known as WENN went to press.

Surtees was the son of legendary Hollywood cinematographer Robert L. Surtees, who won Oscars for King Solomon's Mines, The Bad and the Beautiful, and the epic Ben Hur, and he is best known for his extensive work with Eastwood.

He made 14 films with the veteran actor/director, including 1971's Dirty Harry, and Eastwood chose Surtees as his director of photography when he made his directorial debut on Play Misty for Me in 1971.

Surtees won an Oscar nomination in 1975 for his work on Bob Fosse's Lenny Bruce biopic Lenny and his other film credits include Risky Business and Beverly Hills Cop. »

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000142/news#ni23492344

sad news...

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 06:52:26 AM »

Bruce Surtees, cinematographer on more than 50 films, including Bob Fosse's "Lenny," for which he Surtees was Oscar nominated, and Clint Eastwood pics "Dirty Harry," "High Plains Drifter," "The Outlaw Josey Wales" and Escape From Alcatraz," died Thursday, Feb. 23. He was 74.

By VARIETY STAFF

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118050726?refCatId=13

Surtees made 14 films starring Eastwood, most of them directed by Eastwood. They began their association on films directed by Don Siegel including "Coogan's Bluff" (1968) and 1970's "Two Mules for Sister Sara," on which Surtees was the camera operator; "The Beguiled" (1971) (Surtees' first credit as d.p.); and "Dirty Harry" (1971). When Eastwood made his directorial debut in 1971 with "Play Misty for Me," he chose Surtees as cinematographer. They also worked together on "Honkytonk Man," "Firefox," Sudden Impact" and "Pale Rider," all directed and starring Eastwood; "Tightrope," starring Eastwood; and 1995's "The Stars Fell on Henrietta," exec produced by Eastwood.

R.I.P. MR. Bruce Surtees.

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
exit00

Dying ain't much of a livin'

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 09:00:12 AM »

So sad to hear this... there was a time back when it seemed everytime I saw a new Clint movie for the first time, Bruce Surtees's name was always in the credits.  It was like a given that his name would be there back then.  RIP Bruce.
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 09:17:26 PM »

By MARGALIT FOX

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/29/arts/bruce-surtees-oscar-nominated-cinematographer-dies-at-74.html?_r=2&adxnnl=1&ref=obituaries&adxnnlx=1330535025-hem5Ph8UTDEmXuXxWP3gmA

“He was fearless,” Mr. Eastwood said in a telephone interview on Tuesday. “He wasn’t afraid to give you sketchy lighting if you asked for it. He didn’t believe in flat light or just bright, ‘Rexall drugstore’ lighting, which a lot of times you can get if you get somebody that isn’t very imaginative.”

“He was perfect for me, because we didn’t have very big budgets in those days,” Mr. Eastwood said on Tuesday, recalling his early directorial outings. “He’d make dollies by towing a blanket across the floor with the cameraman sitting on it.”

Mr. Surtees’s jury-rigged dollies worked spectacularly well, Mr. Eastwood said, provided the floor was smooth enough.

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/news.php?id=94657

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
warren218

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 02:12:00 AM »

Very talented guy...RIP

I don't think it's nice, you laughing
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 11:45:18 AM »

Another of Clint's regulars dies. Very sad.

R.I.P. Bruce.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 10:18:14 AM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/29/arts/bruce-surtees-oscar-nominated-cinematographer-dies-at-74.html

The Times has since published a correction: The above image shows Clint with James Fargo, the assistant director, not Surtees. They blame Getty Images, which supplied incorrect caption information.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T