News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Inside Clint's filmmaking world: new book arrives  (Read 13167 times)
MG

View Profile Email
« on: May 06, 2012, 05:08:44 PM »

If interested in details, methods, techniques, anecdotes, and stories about how Eastwood makes his movies, my new authorized book on Clint's filmmaking methods and techniques is finished. It'll be in stores in October but now in pre-sales:

http://www.amazon.com/Clint-Eastwood-Master-Filmmaker-Work/dp/1419703889/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1336348898&sr=1-1

Publisher's page:
http://www.abramsbooks.com/Books/Clint_Eastwood-9781419703881.html

over 60 interviews--Clint, cast, crew, colleagues, collaborators, friends, etc from over dozens  of movies. preface and foreword by Morgan Freeman and Spielberg.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 05:23:25 PM »

Congratulations! Can't wait to see it. It sounds like it'll be the long-desired updated version of Fuensanta Plaza's Clint Eastwood: Malpaso ... or even better!

It may arrive in stores around the same time as the new edition of Clint Eastwood: Interviews (which I co-edited) ... hopefully they will complement each other, not compete with each other.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 09:43:54 PM by KC » Logged
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 09:21:50 PM »

MG and KC,

Looking forward to seeing both those books on my bookshelf.   :)

I was so interested to read you had finished your book MG.  I like the cover picture very much too.

I have your Clint Eastwood: Interviews, KC, however I will certainly be buying the new edition.

Have just found your book with the new cover on Amazon, KC.  I like that one too.  :)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 09:25:55 PM by Lin. » Logged
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 09:32:56 PM »

Just thought I would let you both know, I have pre-ordered the two books on Amazon UK.  :)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 09:50:49 PM »

Thank  you, Lin!  :)

If you have the first edition of Clint Eastwood: Interviews, hang on to it. Unfortunately, because of space constraints, we've had to drop a few of the older interviews to make room for the new ones. I'll write more about it when our publisher's website has information available.

Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 10:33:09 PM »

Thank  you, Lin!  :)

If you have the first edition of Clint Eastwood: Interviews, hang on to it. Unfortunately, because of space constraints, we've had to drop a few of the older interviews to make room for the new ones. I'll write more about it when our publisher's website has information available.

I certainly wouldn't part with the one I have already.  I keep all my Eastwood books.  Besides that I "know" one of the editors.  ;)
MG

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 10:41:22 PM »

Thx for the kind words.  Our belief is that "Master Filmmaker at Work" will nicely compliment what is out there and the work that came before. We are excited that Clint participated in this book, as did virtually his entire crew, former crew, producers, studio folk, numerous actors who have worked with him over the years, etc---new/modern interviews and first-person accounts, and my first person observations of Clint and his team working on "Hereafter" and "J Edgar," among other elements. we do not go movie-by-movie, rather we examine the stages of filmmaking, clint's philosophies, and his solutions in anecdotal fashion from the various projects over the years. we are very excited about it. feel free to spread the word to Clintphiles everywhere ...
palooka
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 08:08:20 AM »

I'll be ordering both these books.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
exit00

Dying ain't much of a livin'

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 07:40:44 PM »

congrats to both on these books....  they sound very interesting and I like both cover photos of Clint.
MG

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 10:00:20 PM »

Reminder! My new book--Clint Eastwood: Master Filmmaker at Work--is about to hit bookstores October 1--the only authorized, in-depth look at Clint's filmmaking techniques over the course of his entire career, with comments and participation from Clint and his whole team, past and present,  essays from Spielberg and Morgan Freeman, and a whole lot more. Until October 1, Amazon is still offering it on a discount. It's the definitive account of Clint the filmmaker. You can find it here:

http://www.amazon.com/Clint-Eastwood-Master-Filmmaker-Work/dp/1419703889/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1348289919&sr=1-1&keywords=clint+eastwood+master+filmmaker+at+work

Enjoy!!!!

--Michael Goldman (author)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 10:32:42 PM »

I'm really looking forward to MG's book!

Meanwhile, the revised and updated edition of Clint Eastwood: Interviews should be published in December. For information, see the publisher's website:

http://www.upress.state.ms.us/books/1501
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 12:59:40 AM »

I have pre ordered them both,since May.
Can't wait.

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
MalpasoPL

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 01:59:23 PM »

KC and MG, congratulations! I can't wait to buy those books. The Interviews the older version was great and I'm especially interested in Clint's craft in the eyes of his crew and other filmmakers. Hope to get those books soon, I'll be happy to cite them in my updated (in few years) book, which I recently published in Polish, here's a link

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1466244313/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=1466244313&linkCode=as2&tag=malpapolskstr-21

best!
iconfan

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2012, 05:31:14 AM »

I just ordered MG's book    The sneak peek in the amazon "look Inside" section was really cool- lots of pix ( many of which I haven't seen before) as well as what looks to be a good number of interviews

Thanks MG for taking the time to gather all this info up for us fans
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2012, 10:15:08 AM »

I actually received MG's Clint Eastwood: Master Filmmaker at Work a week ago and meant to post a comment before now.

First, it is huge! Amazon lists dimensions of 11.5" (wide) x 10.2" (tall) x 1.2 " (thick), and gives a shipping weight of 4 pounds. You may be needing a bigger coffee table.

More importantly, it does justice to its size. It contains scores of intelligently selected and beautifully reproduced photos, many of which I, for one, have never seen before, and perhaps this would be the place to mention a person whose name does not appear on the title page: Lisa Fitzpatrick. She is credited as responsible for the "packaging" and the "producing" of this book (which really does seem to have been produced like a motion picture), and from the second "Acknowledgements" page, which she signed, I gather she is responsible for research to locate many of the images, in the archives of Warner Bros. and elsewhere.

In his own "Acknowledgements," Michael Goldman (MG) declares, "Lisa believed in this project from the beginning, helped hone the idea, advocated for it across the industry, sold Abrams [the publisher] on it, put disparate pieces together, and oversaw the production over many months." She has worked with Goldman before, and they hope to make this the first of a "Master Filmmaker at Work" series. Best of luck to them both!

The text, as promised, is as authoritative as it gets, including over sixty interviews with "Clint, cast, crew, colleagues, collaborators, friends." I haven't had a chance to do more than skim it so far, but I take it for given that like the photos, it will reveal many previously unknown details about the making of Clint's movies over four decades. I've already found a dozen quotes I'd like to share here, but I'm sure every Eastwood fan will find things to treasure.

Michael Goldman and Ms. Fitzpatrick have done a splendid job, and I congratulate them both.

My only quibble would be the lack of an index. The book isn't arranged chronologically or film by film, but according to themes, so it is hard to find all the information about a given Eastwood film or all the material about a given collaborator. But that is minor!

As Steven Spielberg says in the Introduction, Clint's method has always been to "involve us in his storytelling one heartbeat at a time." Clint Eastwood: Master Filmmaker at Work goes a long way toward explaining just how that process works in the practice of filmmaking.

MG

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2012, 12:38:12 AM »

Thx KC for your kind words. Fans are encouraged to give the book a ringing endorsement on the Amazon page if they are so inclined.

Also, we will be having a few book signings in and around the Los Angeles area in coming weeks, starting with November 11 at Bookstar on Ventura Blvd. in Studio City. Hope you enjoy "Clint Eastwood: Master Filmmaker at Work."

--MG
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2012, 01:25:29 AM »

This sounds great.. and my birthday isn't far off...  :)

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2012, 06:04:19 PM »

From CBS News;

" New book documents Clint Eastwood's career in film "

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-207_162-57526880/new-book-documents-clint-eastwoods-career-in-film/

"Clint is not only the most emotionally invested filmmaker we have today, but also the most eclectic in his openness in considering all genres," says Spielberg in the book.

The coffee table book is illustrated with hundreds of production photos, posters and film frames, some of which have never been published before. Actors, who have worked with Eastwood, provide readers with insight on why he became the filmmaker he is today.

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2012, 01:48:14 AM »

My copy arrived while I was on holiday so only got to look at it last night. What a fantastic book. Will sit down this evening and really look at it properly. Your right KC it is huge. It is a great addition to my Eastwood book collection. MG I will leave favourable feedback on Amazon UK.
MG

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2012, 10:01:41 AM »

Thank you for the feedback, and hoping others will leave favorable reviews on Amazon and B&N pages around the world.

Speaking of Barnes & Noble, for those in the Los Angeles area, we will be having a book signing event Sunday November 11 at 1 pm PST at Bookstar on Ventura Blvd. in Studio City. Eager to have Clint fans show up and learn more and get an autographed copy of the book. Here's their calendar posting on the signing. More to follow soon:

http://store-locator.barnesandnoble.com/event/4015816

Thx! MG  ;)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T