News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Popular Anime Film partially influenced by Eastwood Western?  (Read 1607 times)
Meridico

"The name on the grave is Arch Stanton."

View Profile Email
« on: May 17, 2003, 10:06:19 PM »

Has anyone here seen the Animated film Vampire Hunter D or its sequel, Vampire Hunter D II: Bloodlust?  Although the genre is very different, I see influences in the film from Eastwood's work.  Most notable is probably High Plains Drifter.  

In the these Anime films, the staring character, the Vampire Hunter named "D" rides into town on a horse dressed in black with a hat on.  The people look at him funny and wonder what he is doing there.  

The similarities end there, but I got the same kind of feeling as I did when the Stranger rode into town in High Plains Drifter.  Vampire Hunter D and it's sequel are set in a European transylvania type setting but have a distinct western atmosphere in many scenes.  It is known that many of the Japanese animators are fans of American films.  It would not surprise me in the slightest to find out that at least some of these similar elements were because there was a Eastwood fan on the production staff somewhere.  

Just some interesting observations I noticed that any interested parties are free to discuss further.  
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2003, 11:33:37 PM »

Well according to the IMDB it 'references' A Fistful of Dollars.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T