News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Favorite Clint Film Songs:  (Read 8604 times)
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2014, 03:08:12 PM »

One of my favorite songs from a Clint movie has always been Paul Williams's "Where Do I Go From Here?" from Thunderbolt and Lightfoot. I definitely agree with "Burning Bridges" too.
Recently I was listening to various movie songs on youtube, and these were the two I specifically looked up from Eastwood's work. This thread isn't quite two years old yet, but I wasn't for sure if there was a thread dedicated to just the music in Eastwood's movies.
Brian (Jed) Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"I ain't like that anymore, kid."

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2014, 05:53:25 AM »

I don't have a favorite song but like Every Which Way But Loose and Honkytonk Man.  For soundtracks, I love all of the music in the Leone trilogy.

"That don't mean I'm gonna go back to bein' the way I was."
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2014, 01:06:46 PM »

How about I Talk To The Trees from Paint Your Wagon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn8YubD01sk

;)
Brian (Jed) Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2014, 01:15:21 PM »

Don't forget this one...  I Still See Elisa

The Man With No Aim
Member Extraordinaire

"There are two kinds of men in this world"

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2014, 11:31:43 PM »

I really liked his semi-duet with Marty Robbins in Honky Tonk Man. It did pretty good on the music charts. I dont think Elvis ever covered it. Like Peggy Sue. I dont think anybody has ever covered Peggy Sue.

A lot of Clint fans are surprised to learn that he had been singing professionally since an early time in his career.

"In all the excitement I lost count myself'
Brian (Jed) Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2014, 07:42:22 AM »

I really liked his semi-duet with Marty Robbins in Honky Tonk Man. It did pretty good on the music charts. I dont think Elvis ever covered it. Like Peggy Sue. I dont think anybody has ever covered Peggy Sue.

A lot of Clint fans are surprised to learn that he had been singing professionally since an early time in his career.

Elvis did cover a Marty Robbins tune, You Gave Me A Mountain.  The best version is probably the one he did for his satellite broadcast from Hawaii in January, 1973.  I'm not sure if there are others he covered.  As for Buddy Holly, I'm not sure Elvis covered him.  I know of the reverse, for Buddy Holly recorded a version of a song Elvis recorded for his third movie, Jailhouse Rock, a song called (You're So Square) Baby, I Don't Care. 

The Man With No Aim
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2014, 11:18:08 PM »

I watched the Hawaii show on live tv back in the day. Well, urrr, uh, I watched it the first time it was broadcast, although it probably had been taped at some time before.  It was a great show.  At one point in the proceedings the came made it look like El teleported from one stage to another. At the time of that show, I was appreciating El's attitude; he knew he was a great performer and he looked like he enjoyed doing things that his audience would enjoy, simply because he loved his audience and wanted to give them some joy.   

You dont like hot rod racin or drivin late at night
You just wanna go to a movie show
And sit there holdin hands

youre so square! But baby I dont care.

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2014, 01:56:46 AM »

Keep to the topic, please. That is, "Favorite Clint film songs."
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2014, 08:15:17 PM »

Don't forget this one...  I Still See Elisa

In " Paint Your Wagon" Clint sang " I still see Elisa " and " I talk to the Trees " with very soft and tender voice!!  :smitten:  But " Gold Fever " was much different, this song was very amusing !  :D

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
The Man With No Aim
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2014, 10:59:35 PM »

Often I get easily confused. I have guessed it has something to with weak memory or weak intellect or both.

Favorite Clint Film Songs can be taken to mean Favorite Songs In A Clint Film OR Favorite Songs Sung By Clint In A Film. 

I'll pick Fave In A Clint Film.

Call The Wind Maria.

I saw the film several times in regular theater conditions, back in its first run days, including in a drive in drinking beer with buddies. What an enjoyable movie! Especially if the viewer is relaxed enough to access all the humour that was put into it.

In later years I rediscovered Call The Wind Maria while indulging in getting and listening to Kingston Trio music. if I remember correctly, after the KT had recorded it, the decision was made to use other musicians for the film soundtrack.  But I don't remember for sure if the KT version was in the film or not.

Kingston Trio rendition of Call The Wind Maria is among my list of all time favorite music, along with KT rendition of Raspberries, Strawberries.

BTW, it amused me to notice that the movie took place in the (fictional?) Town With No Name. And that Clint's character survived the movie, except for the very last minute, being The Man With No Name.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 11:22:03 PM by The Man With No Aim » Logged

Brian (Jed) Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2014, 05:43:37 AM »

I watched the Hawaii show on live tv back in the day. Well, urrr, uh, I watched it the first time it was broadcast, although it probably had been taped at some time before.  It was a great show.  At one point in the proceedings the came made it look like El teleported from one stage to another. At the time of that show, I was appreciating El's attitude; he knew he was a great performer and he looked like he enjoyed doing things that his audience would enjoy, simply because he loved his audience and wanted to give them some joy.   

You dont like hot rod racin or drivin late at night
You just wanna go to a movie show
And sit there holdin hands

youre so square! But baby I dont care.

Keep to the topic, please. That is, "Favorite Clint film songs."

Don't forget, there is an Elvis thread, of which I posted today, TMWNA:  Elvis Presley Appreciation Thread

A couple more I enjoy by Clint in Honkytonk Man are No Sweeter Cheater Than You and When I Sing About You.

The Man With No Aim
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2014, 08:47:59 PM »

And in Honkytonk we got treated to some genuine Clint piano playing, supposedly in a bar on Beale Street in Memphis. Don't remember what song he played. Probably didn't recognize it in the first place. Did you recognize what tune it was?

Brian (Jed) Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2014, 05:44:40 AM »

And in Honkytonk we got treated to some genuine Clint piano playing, supposedly in a bar on Beale Street in Memphis. Don't remember what song he played. Probably didn't recognize it in the first place. Did you recognize what tune it was?

Beale Street in Memphis, you don't say?!  Another Elvis connection.  Of course, Beale Street is more known for it's history of blues music.  B.B. King's Blues Club is there.  I've been to Beale Street twice and ate at the Elvis themed restaurant Elvis Presley's Memphis, which is no longer there.

Getting back on topic, I forgot about In The Jailhouse Now.  This is a fun tune from Honkytonk Man that features Marty Robbins, John Anderson, David Frizzell & Clint Eastwood.  "You mean you only brought one bottle of Gin?" 

The Man With No Aim
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2014, 11:13:02 PM »

Hahaha!

"Only one bottle of Gin" is a great line. It cracked me up when I saw it in the film.  :laugh:

I have only seen Honky Tonk Man on broadcast tv years ago, it was most certainly heavily edited for time reasons as usual, and I don't remember the song you noted, porbly because I never had the pleasure of hearing it in the first place. But I remember, to slightly misquote Bob Dylan, "There ain't nothin about that movie I don't like." So I am sure that if I did see that song, I liked it.

The general plot of the film was the country music singer driving cross country from a TB sanitorum in somewhere way out west where they call the wind Mariah. Porbly in Arizona but I'm guessing. Heading for Nashville to pick up his interrupted music career. There are surprisingly few bridges across the Mighty Mississip, the one closest to his shortest route being in Memphis, Tennosee (As Waylon said it). His big old convertible sedan broke down and the mechanic advised that it would be a day or two for the gasket to get in from Memphis on the bus. Soon after we see him relaxing and singing and playing. Had to be Memphis. And in the 1930s, the only blues bars round here were on Beale Street.

Many times in the 50s I walked on Beale Street whenever I had some reason to take the bus from my truly humble rural abode to downtown Memphis. At that time ALL of the buildings on Beale Street were the originals built back in 1870 or whenever. By now, a great many of them are new, the originals having been demolished years ago. Many times I walked by Lansky Fine Clothing. Never saw El or Clint. Or hear either one of them sing.

In The Jailhouse Now with those singers intrigues me. Was it as good as I can imagine it to be?   
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 11:18:59 PM by The Man With No Aim » Logged

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2014, 12:53:54 AM »

I finally managed to buy the album by Gator Creek that includes the track Dirty Boogie... A fave from the opening sequence to Play Misty For Me.... Cool track.... Unfortunately I can't seem to find a Presley connection ;)

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2014, 02:57:48 AM »

Thank heavens, Gant! ;D
Brian (Jed) Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2014, 06:02:08 AM »

8)  The Presley connection in Play Misty For Me is that Elvis covered The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face.  Like Hey Jude, though, he probably should've left it alone because Presley's rendition wasn't very good (the same can be said for his version of Hey Jude).  Flack's version is unsurpassable.   8)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 11:20:37 PM by Jed Cooper » Logged

Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2014, 04:25:42 PM »

I love "Beers To You" as well SK!  My favorite song though is Shelly West and Davis Frizell "Your the Reason God made Oklahoma."

Music speaks louder then words. It's the only thing that the whole world listens to. (Peter, Paul & Mary)
Smitty1993

Hey there

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2015, 08:17:44 PM »

When I Sing About You  it's on my iPad one of the most played songs on it actually . Gran Torino too
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 06:55:35 PM by Smitty1993 » Logged

Do you feel lucky punk 😀
samcasey

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2015, 06:33:06 AM »

My favorite song about his movies are

This side of forever (Sudden Impact)
Kate's Theme (Absolute Powers)
Blue Morgan (Million Dollar Baby)
The story of a soldier (The good the bad & the ugly)
Mystic river
all the music composed by Michel Legrand in Brezzy
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T