News: In theaters now: THE MULE, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Attn: All Old-timer Newbies  (Read 9201 times)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« on: December 07, 2002, 11:15:19 PM »

I've been getting some e-mails from a few members wanting to know why they're "Newbies" again, although they've been with the board for years, and how come I am a "Member Extraordinaire" with five stars.....

I started with 0 posts and at Newbie status just like everyone else.  Moderators have 5 green stars automatically in the sections we moderate.  In the sections we don't moderate, we start with one star just like everyone else.  I got the five yellow stars based on post counts, and I made 600 posts by bringing over two long threads post by post to this board from the old: The Endless Pointless Thread (400 posts right there) and the Favorite Quotes and One Liners thread.

I know no one likes being a Newbie, so I have a solution!  I have almost all the threads saved from the old board.  I would like a couple of them transferred post by post to this board.  Anyone who really doesn't want to be a Newbie can ask me to e-mail them the threads, and you can do the same work I did.  Howd'ya like that idea?  Anyone wanna complain now?  ;)  Anyone want to take me up on the offer? :)

Just lemme know if ya do.  :D
« Last Edit: December 07, 2002, 11:18:54 PM by Matt » Logged
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2002, 12:41:06 AM »

Sure, Matt.  I could do that.  Better than just making bogus posts just to make us look good.  You know my email.  Send me something and any directions I need.  I was fairly quiet but I think I was up to 125 posts on the old board at least -- and I wasn't called a "newbie."  How degrading! :P

And P.S. I think I'd had the site saved as a favorite for at least two years, if not more, before ever venturing to the board and actually registering.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2002, 01:16:12 AM »

;D Thanks, Doug!  You now have three web pages in your inbox.

Some of those discussions were really great, and it's a shame to have lost them.   So I'm sure everyone here will appreciate your efforts. :)

And there's plenty more where those came from, if anyone else wants to do the same...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2002, 01:24:15 AM by Matt » Logged
allycat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2002, 03:36:07 PM »

Thanks Matt for caring about this! I just don't like being called a 'newbie' (partially because I'm not new, partially because I just don't like the term) as I've been on the board for nearly 3 years now. I'm not quite sure what you mean by transferring posts - what do I have to do again? I'm not sure if I should just sit tight and shut up until I get to 51 posts and become a 'full' member. On the other hand, dearest Cal, perhaps you could get rid of the term 'newbie' altogether? It makes me sound like the class nerd or something, or a character out of a Woody Allen film... ;)

P.S. For the record I had over 170 posts at the last count before I had to re-register. But that's just me being pedantic...

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
little_bill
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2002, 07:30:28 AM »

couldn't care less what i'm called as long as the board is here!
oh and as long as the janitor doesn't pick on me
i'm not superman!!!! ;)

He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot.- Groucho Marx
Agent
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2002, 09:07:25 AM »

Thanks for the offer, Matt, but it's no biggie. I think I had roughly 900 posts or so, but I'll throw dirt & ashes upon myself and humbly start over with the rest of the "noobies."  ;)

I've already worked my way up to "Jr Member!" woohoo

*But I appreciate you & Doug (thanks Doug) reposting the "Steak v Spaghetti" debate. Some good history there! I noticed all the misc. unrelated stuff was edited out!  ;D
« Last Edit: December 09, 2002, 09:09:31 AM by Agent » Logged

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it." - Clint Eastwood
allycat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2002, 05:37:23 PM »

The trouble is, I don't have enough time (or internet access in my room etc) to come on here that often, or for a long period of time, so I can't get my posts up as quickly as people like Agent. I guess I'm doomed to be the 'n'-word for a while longer...

Feels like a kind of class system, particularly with the stars back again...

Sorry Cal I hope you're not too pissed off at my rants!

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2002, 07:29:08 PM »

How many posts does it take before you become a "Full Member"?
allycat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2002, 03:10:53 PM »

Over a hundred I think. I didn't become a full member last time until I reached over 100. It might have been 130 or some weird figure like that.

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2002, 09:40:34 PM »

I just noticed Nightwing became a Full Member at 101 posts.
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2002, 08:04:25 PM »

Unless you can change my title to "Studly Man-beast Extraordinaire", I'm content with being a 'newbie'.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2002, 08:06:01 PM by Conan » Logged

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2002, 09:07:25 PM »

I've always been told that I have an extraordinary member.... nice to know it's actually being presented as a fact here.  But do you think this would work as a pick up line?

"Hello, pleasure to meet you.  I'm Matt, but my friends call me Member Extraordinaire."

"Extraordinaire?"  Glances down, seemingly unimpressed.

"It's ummm... it's a fact.  It's written in black and white.  Honest."  (This isn't going as planned)  "Maybe you'd like to see for yourself?    Hey, where are you........ going?"

Well, it works well here, anyway.  :D
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2002, 09:16:37 PM »

It's a shame there aren't rules for sexual harassment over the web.  ::)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2002, 09:30:38 PM »

It won't be junior-sized for long, AKA.  Cheer up!  ;D
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2002, 09:42:42 PM »

Hmmm.......WHAT????  ???
« Last Edit: December 15, 2002, 09:48:15 PM by AKA23 » Logged
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2002, 09:46:46 PM »

???

Moving on.... ::)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2002, 10:19:31 PM »

Matt, if you get many more posts credited to your account, we'll have to start calling you the Big Unit! ;)

KC
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2002, 11:15:02 PM »

Unlike him, I haven't been eliminated in the first round in..... quite some time.  ;) ;D :-*
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2002, 11:30:04 PM »

I'm guessing your strikeout total is nowhere near as high as his, either?  :P ;) :D
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2002, 11:36:25 PM »

My strikeout total is definitely lower.  My knuckleball, however,  probably quite a bit higher.   :o

:-[  Can't believe I said that!  ;) :D

Wow... back to topic!  ;D
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T