News: THE MULE, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood: now on disc and streaming!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Clint Eastwood to speak at Republican Convention tonight  (Read 20467 times)
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2012, 10:13:03 AM »

For the most part I agree with you AKA23 and Walt.  Still, don't be so hard on the guy.  He tried, didn't he?  Yes, it could've been much better but it wasn't and now that it's over, let it become history.  Sure, I was a bit confused and disappointed but I'm sure not going to let this affect my opnion of him or his films.  I still plan on seeing Trouble With The Curve and am looking forward to being entertained once again. 

AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2012, 10:16:10 AM »

I'm fine with Eastwood speaking at the Republican convention, and I think it's important to try to keep this thread as politics free as possible, so I think we should refrain from expressing our disappointment, or approval, of Eastwood's decision to speak. What I am not fine with is the way it was done.
Walt
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2012, 10:25:53 AM »

I'm fine with Eastwood speaking at the Republican convention, and I think it's important to try to keep this thread as politics free as possible, so I think we should refrain from expressing our disappointment, or approval, of Eastwood's decision to speak. What I am not fine with is the way it was done.

I fully understand that rule as nothing gets people riled up like politics & religion but when Clint does something like this it's impossible to keep politics out of it. That's his whole reason for being there. It HAS changed my opinion of Clint and not for the better. Considering Clint's very eloquent defense of certain minorities I'm quite frankly stunned at his endorsement of this man.

I'll still enjoy his movies as I always have but that's where it ends. maybe that's just the way it should be.
bwaynef

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2012, 11:42:14 AM »

If I would compare Clint Eastwood's speech to anything, it would be Bob Dylan's performance at the 1991 Grammy Awards where he was honored for his life achievement. Dylan came out with a band so loud you could barely hear him, and when you did, you had no clue what he was singing. It was bizarre, funny, and somehow cool. That's how I felt about The Clint last night: bizarre, funny, but still COOL! But I feel the same way about Eastwood as I do about Dylan. Clint. Eastwood. Can. Do. No. Wrong.
mike siegel

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2012, 12:16:41 PM »

As for myself, I'll try to forget about it. I don't want to lose my respect for one of America's best.

A disaster. Maybe he had a bad day, I mean he is 82 by now.
He shouldn't do things like that. Maybe he is infected by this Romney-comedian virus, introducing
his future Vice as future President etc. etc. ( almost every other week a funny headline):

Clintus said something (about Obama) like:
I never thought it was a good idea for attorneys to be the president...

Maybe I'll mix things up, and not him, but didn't Romney study law and gratuated at Harvard law school ? (????)
Oh boy.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 12:17:43 PM by mike siegel » Logged
El Cigarillo

"Who says I was jokin?"

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2012, 01:33:50 PM »

hey, he was just using the Republicans to promote his new movie.
as wiley as ever! ;)
bruce

The Highlander

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2012, 01:50:13 PM »

The fact that Eastwood might be experiencing dementia or some other kind of cognitive decline was one of the first things I thought of as well. I didn't want to post it, since I didn't want to create any controversy on the board, but since other people have pointed this out, I thought I'd respond. Honestly, it's tough to know what it was that happened with that speech. Did the teleprompter not work? Eastwood was only supposed to be on for about five minutes, but he spoke for 12. What happened there, and why was he out there without prepared remarks? Since by all accounts Eastwood was able to star in "Trouble with the Curve," and seemed very lucid to me when I saw him in October at the Carmel Film Festival, I don't think Eastwood is senile. If he were experiencing dementia, he probably wouldn't be able to memorize his lines for the film, or produce and direct movies, which he is clearly still able to do. I think he was probably nervous, and that something happened with the speech. Yes, he did appear to have some trouble connecting his thoughts together, which may not have happened if he were younger, and he didn't seem to have an overarching message to his presentation, but I don't think it's fair to say that Eastwood is going senile because of this performance.

Clint's age had nothing at all to do with his performance.  He simply was making it up as he went along, no teleprompter or script, etc.  I've been watching Clint's interviews, live TV appearances, etc., since the 1970s -- and this pretty much the same we've always seen from him in such venues.  Clint has a very relaxed, shy, laid-back style of speaking -- so this was nothing new. I thought he was marvelous in his serious moments during the speech and pretty funny during his moments with the chair. 

I recall reading, way back in the late 70s or early 80s, an article in which the author briefly discussed Clint's shy, quiet nature and how he "risked boring an audience" when appearing on talk shows, etc. This is simply his personality and, in reality, illustrates how great an actor he is for playing, so convincingly, characters like Dirty Harry, the Man with No Name, etc.

Not many people could do what he did in front of 40 million viewers without any rehearsing, teleprompters, etc.

I, for one, give him two thumbs up!
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2012, 01:53:05 PM »

Clint's age had nothing at all to do with his performance.  He simply was making it up as he went along, no teleprompter or script, etc.  I've been watching Clint's interviews, live TV appearances, etc., since the 1970s -- and this pretty much the same we've always seen from him in such venues.  Clint has a very relaxed, shy, laid-back style of speaking -- so this was nothing new. I thought he was marvelous in his serious moments during the speech and pretty funny during his moments with the chair.  

I recall reading, way back in the late 70s or early 80s, an article in which the author briefly discussed Clint's shy, quiet nature and how he "risked boring an audience" when appearing on talk shows, etc. This is simply his personality and, in reality, illustrates how great an actor he is for playing, so convincingly, characters like Dirty Harry, the Man with No Name, etc.

Not many people could do what he did in front of 40 million viewers without any rehearsing, teleprompters, etc.

I, for one, give him two thumbs up!

Glad you liked it, Highlander.  No, I don't think age had to do with his performance.  Not at all.  I just don't think it was very good or effective.  

nobull

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2012, 02:09:10 PM »

Just to say thank you Mr. Eastwood for telling it like it is at the RNC last night. Don't let the whiners bother you. I'm 79 and going strong. The truth will out.  Sincerely, nobull
rr-electricangel

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2012, 02:48:54 PM »

"It is what it is."

Urban Dictionary: Used often in the business world, this incredibly versatile phrase can be literally translated as "[email protected]#k it."  ;D
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 02:51:27 PM by rr-electricangel » Logged

Clint Eastwood's words of wisdom: "Take your profession seriously; don't take yourself seriously. Don't take yourself seriously in the process, because you really only matter to a certain degree in the whole circus out here."
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2012, 04:06:38 PM »

I am wondering what kind of influence Eastwood coming out so publicly for Governor Romney might have on the critical and commercial reception of "Trouble With the Curve." Will the fact that he did this bizarre speech affect its box office, or whether or not he receives recognition for his role in this film?
clint got HOSED

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2012, 04:20:46 PM »

Thank You Clint for not being a liberal POS,  Romney/Ryan has my vote.
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2012, 04:34:38 PM »

No Question about it...The most embarrassing thing I seen Eastwood do since The Gauntlet.
Walt
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2012, 04:36:36 PM »

No Question about it...The most embarrassing thing I seen Eastwood do since The Gauntlet.

Hey, leave The Gauntlet out of this !!             :D
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2012, 04:39:45 PM »

You are absolutley right Walt...... It was worse than The Gauntlet.
Walt
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2012, 04:40:56 PM »

I am wondering what kind of influence Eastwood coming out so publicly for Governor Romney might have on the critical and commercial reception of "Trouble With the Curve." Will the fact that he did this bizarre speech affect its box office, or whether or not he receives recognition for his role in this film?

Interesting question. Regardless of its content, he's certainly diminished his gravitas with such a poor public performance. Hopefully the film can speak for itself. From the trailer it looks pretty lightweight anyway. I suppose it might be more pertinent if it had obvious political undertones. Then again, we've yet to see it. Maybe there's more to it than what's in the trailer.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2012, 05:26:35 PM »

Apparently, the idea to use a chair and do the improvisational comedy routine was something Eastwood himself came up with, and was not something that the Romney campaign approved in advance.  :o

But back to the question I asked earlier. I think that this could have an impact on both the box office and the potential for Eastwood to gain awards recognition for this new film. I'm not sure how large of an impact it might be, but I think his performance could turn some people off. I don't, however, think it in any way tarnishes his legacy as a filmmaker. "Unforgiven," "Million Dollar Baby," "Mystic River," and "Gran Torino" aren't any less good because Eastwood chose to talk to an empty chair  ;)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 05:29:37 PM by AKA23 » Logged
Bibst

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2012, 07:17:54 PM »

Clint was himself; entirely unscripted, and 100% on the  money.
He tells it like it is, and to make something out of it otherwise doesn't
show Mr. Eastwood the respect he has both earned and deserved.
To paraphrase from "Space Cowboys" Flight Director Gene,
"Way to Go Frank!"
dane with no name
Member Extraordinaire

I dont think it's nice you're laughing...

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2012, 02:17:14 AM »

Well. It was not Eastwoods' finest hour, but he meant everything that he said and he even commended the president on the good things he thought that had been done right.
I'm fairly sure it takes some balls to praise the political opponent so openly at a political convention.
The chair thing has been done a lot in other routines and probably would've been pretty good if he hadn't stumbled and rambled as much. It wasn't a great speech by any means, but I enjoyed some of the jokes and it got the crowd riled up which is what it was supposed to do.

A month is a long time in politics...
By the time Trouble with the curve comes out, some other political issue, statement or happening has grabbed the attention of the public, and all of this has been forgotten.
I suppose if the hate goes on for long enough, it might end up like the chick-fil-a boycotting did, where people who are in support of the GOP flock to the cinemas to show their support with their vallets. Some of the meme pictures I've already seen flooding the the web are downright digusting and meanspirited.

All in all he did nothing that changed my view on him as a person; he's been a republican close to 50 years AFAIK but rarely on par with the GOP hardliners, and always on his own terms. 
CNN reporter Carrie Rickey sums it up nicely IMO
http://edition.cnn.com/2012/08/31/opinion/rickey-eastwood-gop/index.html?iid=article_sidebar
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2012, 04:52:43 AM »

Just saw the full speech.
He was cool.Has any of us tried to speak for 10 minutes withought taking notes ?
I suppose you judge him about his performance not for his political views.

The main fact is that he is so huge that president Obama didn't answer to Romney's accusations but to Clint.

All in all : CLINT FOR PRESIDENT......

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T