News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fictional Time Lines-Eastwood's Westerns  (Read 2611 times)
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: June 02, 2003, 09:08:50 PM »

Eastwood's westerns take place from 1882 to what 1903 or somthing?  But if any of you know a specific year of  the movie in question and post up how you know that from somthing tangenable from the movie...

Kind of like "I'll take Eastwood's Spagetti Westerns for $800 Alex..."  

Trying to establish the year each of Eastwood's westerns are:

Fistful of Dollars
For A Few Dollars More
The Good The Bad And The Ugly
Hang 'em High
Two Mules for Sister Sara
Joe Kidd
High Plains Drifter
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Pale Rider
Unforgiven

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2003, 10:14:06 PM »

Good one, D'Amb. Here's what I come up with.

• A Fistful of Dollars ... No earlier than 1873 (date on grave in cemetery scene)
  • For A Few Dollars More ... Probably around the same time as A Fistful of Dollars
  • The Good The Bad And The Ugly ... 1862 (Battle of Glorieta Pass, March 28, 1862)
  • Hang 'em High ... "Year of Our Lord 1889" mentioned by Judge Fenton in his first interview with Cooper
  • Two Mules for Sister Sara ... July 1866? Presumably around Bastille Day (July 14), but before the execution of Emperor Maximilian in June 1867
  • Joe Kidd ... Pediment of the courthouse is dated 1896. It seems to me there may be a later date mentioned or alluded to somewhere, but I don't recall where
  • High Plains Drifter ... No earlier than 1882 (the latest date visible on a grave in the cemetery)
  • The Outlaw Josey Wales ... Just before (precredits sequence), during (opening credits sequence) and immediately after the U.S. Civil War (1860-1865).
  • Pale Rider ... I'd put it after the Civil War ... late 1860s. Admittedly, that's mostly on the basis of the Preacher's revolver ... which we've pretty well established is a .44 caliber Remington Army New Model percussion revolver in production from 1863 to 1875
  • Unforgiven ... The graveside scene at the beginning is dated 1878 in the crawl. The prologue in Big Whiskey takes place in 1880 (this is specified in an on-screen title); most of the action ensues the following July (allusions to the assassination of President Garfield on July 2, 1881).
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2003, 10:18:25 PM »

Will you marry me?   ;)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2003, 10:21:56 PM »

Only if you'll root for the Yankees!  :o  ;)
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2003, 10:30:57 PM »

Well, I guess not then ;)...  The Reds will forever be in my heart but the Yankees will forever be in my soul...   :)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2003, 10:33:43 PM by DAmbrosia » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2003, 10:42:02 PM »

Oh well ... we'll always have Paris! ;)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T