News: See SULLY, starring Tom Hanks, now streaming and on DVD and Blu-ray!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New actor debate for a Dirty Harry reboot: Alec Baldwin  (Read 11578 times)
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2013, 09:10:22 AM »

It's interesting people are talking a bout a reboot of Dirty Harry where the sequels werent even worthy as the original movie.
My, that's a bit harsh, I beg to differ ;D

Supporting cast, script, music, location, humor, one-liners... Number 2 and 3 weren't bad at all. Magnum Force's ending will always be one of my favorites.
As Eastwood got older, so did the franchise, that was inevitable -which doesn't mean that the rest isn't enjoyable. Eastwood was still DH. That's good enough for me ;)

Also, I agree with earlier comments: Scott would be perfect as a young Harry, more perfect than any other actor, for obvious reasons. But I honestly hope it never comes to that. Reboots are overrated :P

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for himů" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
macDave

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2013, 02:26:08 AM »

My, that's a bit harsh, I beg to differ ;D

Supporting cast, script, music, location, humor, one-liners... Number 2 and 3 weren't bad at all. Magnum Force's ending will always be one of my favorites.
As Eastwood got older, so did the franchise, that was inevitable -which doesn't mean that the rest isn't enjoyable. Eastwood was still DH. That's good enough for me ;)

Also, I agree with earlier comments: Scott would be perfect as a young Harry, more perfect than any other actor, for obvious reasons. But I honestly hope it never comes to that. Reboots are overrated :P

That's more than a bit harsh, it's very harsh.
I thought there was a drop in standard in 4 & 5 that reflected a general drop in standard in movies during the 80's.  But they are still interesting to Clint fans in a way that a reboot can't be.
It's almost inevitable that the industry will pursue remakes and sequels regardless of quality since they are almost guaranteed earners.  Even fans will see them out of curiosity although invariably to be disappointed.
What would interest me slightly more would be a remake of DH as a genuine period piece, with 70's cars, clothes and accessories, since that is where a lot of the appeal lies.
Whistledixie

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2013, 05:17:22 PM »

What would interest me slightly more would be a remake of DH as a genuine period piece, with 70's cars, clothes and accessories, since that is where a lot of the appeal lies.

And have Tarantino executive produce, to get the look of the clothing, sets, and film right. and inject some appropriate dark humor. But don't turn it into overkill with the gunplay... less is more with the forty-four
B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2013, 06:57:55 AM »

I can't see Alec Baldwin as an effective Dirty Harry.  Hugh Jackman, sure, but not Alec Baldwin.  Baldwin has proven himself to be a humorous comedic actor.  Jim Carrey, in my opinion, has proven to be a decent dramatic actor in The Truman Show and other films.  Then again, as Carrey does a spot-on impersonation of Clint, perhaps he should be chosen for a Dirty Harry reboot.  As for sequels, I consider The Enforcer the best by far.  I'm in agreement that Dirty Harry shouldn't be rebooted.  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  So please, Hollywood, leave well enough alone!  O0
Wirral Writer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2014, 07:01:41 AM »

No, no, no, no, NO! We do NOT want a Dirty Harry reboot. There is only one Dirty Harry and that is Clint.

It would be crazy to remake the Harry franchise. It would never be as good as the original. Nobody can come up to Clint in that role.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 12:05:43 AM by The Schofield Kid » Logged

Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2014, 07:34:26 PM »

No, no, no, no, NO! We do NOT want a Dirty Harry reboot. There is only one Dirty Harry and that is Clint.

It would be crazy to remake the Harry franchise. It would never be as good as the original. Nobody can come up to Clint in that role.

Amen!!!!!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 12:06:04 AM by The Schofield Kid » Logged
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2014, 06:47:58 PM »

I'm not really for rebooting Dirty Harry with another actor, but if they're going to do it, I think I've found someone who would be really good in the role. It's Timothy Olyphant. He's the right age, as he's in his mid 40's, and he has, the looks, the charisma, and the humor necessary for the role. He stars in a series called "Justified" as a small-town U.S. Marshall which is going into its sixth season. The series is on Amazon Prime.

The character reminds me a lot of the character Clint plays in Coogan's Bluff. He plays a character called Raylen Givens who really is kind of a hillbilly Dirty Harry. He would need to be made a little bit more cantankerous and display more of a controlled rage than he does on Justified, as his character is pretty laid back on that series, and "Dirty Harry" is a pretty angry character, but I think the fundamentals are there for him to be a good candidate for a modern Dirty Harry. Has anybody seen "Justified?" What do you all think of this suggestion?
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2014, 08:32:08 PM »

I love Justified, and I've said Olyphant has been channeling the young Clint Eastwood since the beginning. Glad someone else on here has finally discovered the show.

http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/index.php?topic=2857.msg195490#msg195490

http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/index.php?topic=1198.msg183398#msg183398
The Man With No Aim
Member Extraordinaire

"There are two kinds of men in this world"

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2014, 11:12:35 PM »

I'm not really for rebooting Dirty Harry with another actor, but if they're going to do it, I think I've found someone who would be really good in the role. It's Timothy Olyphant. He's the right age, as he's in his mid 40's, and he has, the looks, the charisma, and the humor necessary for the role. He stars in a series called "Justified" as a small-town U.S. Marshall which is going into its sixth season. The series is on Amazon Prime.

The character reminds me a lot of the character Clint plays in Coogan's Bluff. He plays a character called Raylen Givens who really is kind of a hillbilly Dirty Harry. He would need to be made a little bit more cantankerous and display more of a controlled rage than he does on Justified, as his character is pretty laid back on that series, and "Dirty Harry" is a pretty angry character, but I think the fundamentals are there for him to be a good candidate for a modern Dirty Harry. Has anybody seen "Justified?" What do you all think of this suggestion?

Like it is said phonetically, in the show, Raylin Gibbins, I love these wonderful hillbilly unusual names. Like Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs. Wonderful real peoples real names. I say this with right to do so, to talk about wonderful hillbilly names. I was born in the foothills of the Appalachains and lived my youngest years in the hills of Oak Ridge where my Daddy was a construction worker helping to build the Uranium plant where they made the Uranium that they put in the bomb that won the War. I am nearly as much of a hillbilly as you can be. And I love the real honest people that live in those hillbilly hills.

Raylin Gibbins. Yes. I saw his performance in the pilot of Justified.

Tim Oliphant you got my attention.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 11:22:48 PM by The Man With No Aim » Logged

"In all the excitement I lost count myself'
B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2014, 06:30:41 AM »

I think the main reason they haven't gotten around to it is because Eastwood is still alive & active.  I hate to say it but I think not long after he's gone, a Dirty Harry reboot will be inevitable.  I still think they should just do it now with Scott Eastwood playing a young Callahan with the elder Mr. Eastwood reprising his role, possibly even narrating about a cold case of his.  If/when it does happen, I just hope they don't blow it but my guess is they will. 
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2014, 12:50:51 PM »

I think the main reason they haven't gotten around to it is because Eastwood is still alive & active.  I hate to say it but I think not long after he's gone, a Dirty Harry reboot will be inevitable.  I still think they should just do it now with Scott Eastwood playing a young Callahan with the elder Mr. Eastwood reprising his role, possibly even narrating about a cold case of his.  If/when it does happen, I just hope they don't blow it but my guess is they will. 

I actually don't know how much interest there actually would be for rebooting this series. Loose cannon, mission-driven rebels like "Dirty Harry" who advocate for victims of crime and tire of the bureaucracy associated with obtaining justice for those victims are everywhere these days. Rebooting "Dirty Harry" might be a pretty risky proposition for a studio. The thing that makes Dirty Harry unique is Eastwood's portrayal of the character. With another actor, I think a reboot would seem kind of derivative and old hat. If someone wants to see a similar type of character portrayed onscreen there are a lot of places to turn to to watch that type of content.
B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2014, 01:35:32 PM »

I actually don't know how much interest there actually would be for rebooting this series. Loose cannon, mission-driven rebels like "Dirty Harry" who advocate for victims of crime and tire of the bureaucracy associated with obtaining justice for those victims are everywhere these days. Rebooting "Dirty Harry" might be a pretty risky proposition for a studio. The thing that makes Dirty Harry unique is Eastwood's portrayal of the character. With another actor, I think a reboot would seem kind of derivative and old hat. If someone wants to see a similar type of character portrayed onscreen there are a lot of places to turn to to watch that type of content.

Very true and don't get me wrong, I'd rather they just leave this series and character alone.  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  I think the best avenue to take would be the younger/older versions as I'd mentioned before.  Not only would it be cool seeing a younger Callahan (I would hope the younger Eastwood could pull it off or maybe the guy that portrayed a younger Eastwood character in Space Cowboys) set in the mid-to late '60s, but also the present-day Callahan coping with retirement and current technology.  Envision, if you will, Dirty Harry online and on a cell-phone.

So, can it be done?  Sure.  Can it be done right?  Don't know unless/until it's done.  Should it be done?  I don't think so.  I know that seems contradictory but it's really not.  I can see others' point of view that Dirty Harry in no way, shape or form should be tampered with and while that makes sense, as it's out of our hands and may come to pass, I'd like to see it done respectfully and successfully.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 01:38:13 PM by Jed Cooper » Logged
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2014, 03:00:20 PM »

I love Justified, and I've said Olyphant has been channeling the young Clint Eastwood since the beginning. Glad someone else on here has finally discovered the show.

http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/index.php?topic=2857.msg195490#msg195490

http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/index.php?topic=1198.msg183398#msg183398

KC, I hadn't remembered that you liked "Justified." It sounds like we have pretty similar views on this though, as you appear to see the same things that I do in the character. Given the similarities that we both saw, what do you think about Timothy Olyphant as a potential candidate for a re-booted "Dirty Harry" series, if it's going to be done? 
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2014, 09:46:52 PM »

IF it's going to be done, I personally would like to see Olyphant. On the other hand, perhaps it would be more successful with someone who would take a different tack entirely. Why try to imitate the inimitable?
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2014, 09:57:36 AM »

IF it's going to be done, I personally would like to see Olyphant.

Likewise but,it's never going to happen.Some characters like Dirty Harry,Rocky and the Terminator are based on actors that can't be replaced.Consider Terminator 4... no Arnie,no part (sorry,there was a SGI Arnie for a couple of moments).

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T