News: See SULLY, starring Tom Hanks, now streaming and on DVD and Blu-ray!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Does Clint Eastwood eat a vegan diet?  (Read 15194 times)
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: December 05, 2012, 04:54:10 PM »

I have heard some people say that he eats a strict vegetarian diet and others say that no he doesnt that he does eat meat.  I have been on a vegetarian diet for the past 6 months now and I can tell you that I have never felt better.  Does anybody know for sure if Clint eats a vegetarian diet or not?
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 08:03:43 PM »

I've always understood that he's not a strict vegetarian, let alone a vegan, but he avoids eating red meat.

The most extensive quote from Clint on the subject of his diet that I could find originally appeared in Club Business International, the magazine of IHRSA (the International Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association). I can't find this interview (apparently from 2003) online any more, but AKA posted the relevant portion on this site in '04. CBI's interviewer is Jon Feld:

CBI: Tell us something about your diet regimen. Do you make use of supplements?

CE: I take vitamins daily, but just the bare essentials—not what you'd call supplements. I try to stick to a vegan diet—heavy on fruit, vegetables, tofu, and other soy products. Sometimes, when I feel like it, I eat chicken, fish, or turkey, but no red meat, cheese, or fried foods. When I want a bite of something 'bad,' I'll steal something from my wife's plate.

In that same thread, Allycat posted some information on Clint's diet from an earlier print source, Muscle & Fitness, January 1991:

EASTWOOD’S DIET

Eastwood maintains a low-fat, high protein diet. He also pays close attention to his cholesterol levels (his father, a meat-and-potatoes man, died at an early age of cardiovascular disease). He consults with a nutritionist, but generally sticks to the following diet:

·   Fish (his main source of protein)
·   Pasta
·   Fruits and vegetables
·   No dairy products (he hasn’t had an egg in years)
·   No red meat (except for the occasional Dirty Harry burger at his restaurant, the Hog’s Breath Inn in Carmel.
·   Protein supplements
·   Amino acids
·   Vitamin supplements and antioxidants

If those quotes are both accurate, he would seem to have cut out the supplements and cut back on the seafood, some time between 1991 and 2003.

As to whether he's a "vegan," check this quote from a 2008 New York Times interview (by Bruce Headlam):

Despite what you might have read on Wikipedia, Mr. Eastwood is not a vegan, and he looked slightly aghast when told exactly what a vegan is. “I never look at the Internet for just that reason,” he said.

;D

palooka
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 12:39:02 AM »

I know he likes chicken.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 12:07:54 AM »

Despite what you might have read on Wikipedia, Mr. Eastwood is not a vegan, and he looked slightly aghast when told exactly what a vegan is. “I never look at the Internet for just that reason,” he said.

I know it's a really minor point, but clearly this interviewer didn't understand something.  Five years earlier Eastwood seemed to know exactly what a vegan was and listed foods that are indeed vegan, but now he's "aghast" as to what a vegan is?  I don't think so.  Maybe he was aghast that the wiki page was calling him a vegan and it's that misinformation that keeps him from looking at the Internet.  There's almost some irony there.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 12:09:05 AM by Doug » Logged

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Tang Lung

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 10:42:23 AM »

He's a meat eater all right according to Leone (both he and Bud Spencer ate a ton of spaghetti during lunches)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 10:51:08 AM »

He's a meat eater all right according to Leone (both he and Bud Spencer ate a ton of spaghetti during lunches)

That was in his youth, before he met the kids' dear departed ma! ;)
televisionarchives

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 04:04:34 PM »

I don't know if he still follows the program but if you look at the Book Life Extension by Durk Pearson and Sandy Shaw you will see that he's mentioned as "Mr. Smith " He didn't want his real name used in the book but later it was found out that it was in fact him.  He met them about the time he did the Every Which Way But Loose movies . Durk and Sandy also did some work for Firefox and they appeared in The Dead Pool.
Clint at that time used many supplements . I believe he still does.
Caulkins

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 11:03:08 PM »

It's interesting that he keeps his protein high and fat low. Does he avoid fat altogether?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T