News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jersey Boys: Production Information and News  (Read 69750 times)
KevinSabiny

View Profile Email
« Reply #240 on: July 29, 2014, 11:51:23 PM »

Actor Billy Gardell suffered a setback in his battle to quit smoking for good on the set of Jersey Boys after director Clint Eastwood suggested his character should light up cigarettes.

The Mike & Molly comedian landed a small role in the upcoming movie adaptation of the hit musical, but he soon found himself returning to his old bad habit for the summer (13) shoot because he couldn't say no to the legendary screen star.

Gardell says, "I haven't smoked in about four months, five months, and I was using them (sic) electric cigarettes manufactured by
ecigs manufacturer to get off (nicotine) and he goes, 'I think you should smoke in this scene, how do you feel about that?' (I said), 'Yeah, Mr. Eastwood, whatever you think!' He was just so cool, he's just such a guy."

It is tough for actors to quit smoking as in some of the characters they need to light them up..So tough but need to be strong..
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 12:44:06 AM by KevinSabiny » Logged
Hammerhead

Get the hell out of the way, hammerhead.

View Profile Email
« Reply #241 on: March 29, 2021, 08:08:56 AM »

Frankie Valli is a guest on the latest episode of the Talking Sopranos podcast.

He talks about how unhappy he was with what Clint did on Jersey Boys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTNY-WuWv80
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #242 on: March 29, 2021, 09:15:36 AM »

Hammerhead, thank for posting this. I'd like to hear this, but this is quite a long video. Can you tell us, if you paid attention to this, a time range where we can find the relevant part? Thank you!
Hammerhead

Get the hell out of the way, hammerhead.

View Profile Email
« Reply #243 on: March 29, 2021, 11:09:40 AM »

No problem, film talk starts about 29 mins, Frankie starts laying in to the film around 31 mins :)
batfunk2

View Profile Email
« Reply #244 on: March 30, 2021, 02:38:29 PM »

Interesting interview. I think also that Jersey Boys was a missed opportunity for Clint, but not for the same reasons. Jersey Boys should have been a   real musical, like classical ones. End of the movie gave me a lot of regrets, same when he passed on  A star is born... I would have loved to see Clint embrace this golden era of American film history and prove once again he can direct any kind of movie.

But Frankie Valli's idea is good, let's hope he Will succeed in his project.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #245 on: March 31, 2021, 10:24:50 AM »

It is interesting to hear Frankie Valli's thoughts about the movie.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #246 on: March 31, 2021, 01:10:47 PM »

For those that didn't listen to this, Frankie Valli said that he did not like the movie at all. That he thought the movie was poorly cast, and that in particular Steve Schirripa (who was the interviewer, and who also plays Erin's investigator on "Blue Bloods") would have been a better choice than Christopher Walken for the role of the mob boss. He also thought the way the music was handled was, in his words, "an atrocity," and said that he had his cowriter fix the music problems but that Eastwood still declined to use their version in the film. He didn't really specify what about the music was handled poorly, but it may have been that the actors sung live, since that was an atypical choice for a film. 

I think Jersey Boys was also a missed opportunity. If you are going to make a musical, make a musical and have the music be front and center. The way Eastwood filmed it, it came across to me like it was directed by someone who didn't want to make a musical. He filmed it as a straight drama with music accents. The music was incidental to the plot rather than being the central focus, and the plot was fairly pedestrian and not interesting enough to anchor the film. Although I wouldn't say the film was poorly cast, since Eastwood chose the people who acted in the play successfully, I do think it would have been a better, more cinematic choice to use major stars in the roles rather than relative unknowns. This movie needed some star power to be effective as a film, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 01:12:44 PM by AKA23 » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T