News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Would you like to see Eastwood act in one more western?  (Read 17629 times)
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: May 06, 2013, 08:52:42 PM »

Now I realize realistically at his age fixing to turn 83 I believe, that would be pretty difficult to pull off.  And I doubt very seriously it would ever happen but who knows he is very unpredictable.  And I know it sounds outrageous.  But if he could pull it off and he wanted to do it would you like to see him act in one more western?  For me I have extreme mixed feelings about this.  While I love watching western movies and Eastwood being my favorite actor it sounds like it would be something pretty awesome to watch and to be excited about.  But on the flip side the last western movie he made Unforgiven was IMO a masterpiece one of my very favorite movies and a great way to end his westerns on.  And it would be extremely risky for him to do it.  So I have extreme mixed feelings about this even though I do realize it's highly unlikely to happen.  But just for the fun of it what do some of you think?
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 09:22:04 PM »

No. For me, Unforgiven was the pinnacle. I can't imagine a role for an actor his age that could possibly come close.
TWOMULES

Email
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 11:52:21 PM »

No. For me, Unforgiven was the pinnacle. I can't imagine a role for an actor his age that could possibly come close.

KC, I couldn't agree with you more. :)
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 10:30:09 AM »

KC, I couldn't agree with you more. :)

That goes for me too.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 04:04:46 PM »

I have been saying for years that Clint Eastwood should have stopped as an actor after "Gran Torino" because it was the best possible movie for him to go out on, both in terms of quality and because it provided a perfect coda for his acting career. You and many others have said that you didn't agree with that, because you supported Clint's desire to act in whatever movie he wanted, and that he shouldn't worry about going out on a high. Now you and others in this thread are making the same argument I made about "Gran Torino" about "Unforgiven." I respect that view, but can you explain that to me? Why the change in perspective? I am sincerely interested in learning more about this!
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 06:51:08 PM »

I am large, I contain multitudes.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 07:53:20 PM »

I am large, I contain multitudes.

Nice Walt Whitman reference, but I'm not going to let you get off that easy, KC. Do you have an answer to my question? I genuinely am interested to know. Others are welcome to comment as well. You are making virtually the same argument I made but you support it in one case and not in another. This doesn't make sense to me. I need an explanation that makes sense! :)   
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 03:06:11 AM »

No, I don't have an answer to your question. But I'll try.

For me, Unforgiven was a very special film and a very special Western. As Clint often said himself, it was worthy to be the last Western. At least the last Clint Eastwood Western.

Gran Torino wasn't nearly that special, and if Clint himself found another acting role he wanted to do after that, more power to him.

For that matter, if Clint himself found a Western script with a part for an 83-year-old and he really wanted to do it, fine. I just don't think it's at all likely that a Western script exists, or could exist, that would tempt him after Unforgiven.
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 01:09:22 PM »

If he acted in a western now, it ain't going to be like before. He's too old. Otherwise I wouldn't care, even though Unforgiven can't be topped.

And AKA, I think one big difference is that he made his name originally in the western, so finishing his western career with Unforgiven has special significance.

I also don't think Gran Torino is that great of a movie. It's certainly way better than Trouble with the Curve, but that's not saying much. I think people got carried away seeing Clint act tough again, they overlooked all the rough edges and poorly written scenes.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
TWOMULES

Email
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 04:53:55 PM »

And AKA, I think one big difference is that he made his name originally in the western, so finishing his western career with Unforgiven has special significance.

Doug, you hit the nail on the head. :)
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 01:01:50 PM »

I will think about this!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 01:04:58 PM by AKA23 » Logged
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 01:03:22 PM »

No, I don't have an answer to your question. But I'll try.

For me, Unforgiven was a very special film and a very special Western. As Clint often said himself, it was worthy to be the last Western. At least the last Clint Eastwood Western.

Gran Torino wasn't nearly that special, and if Clint himself found another acting role he wanted to do after that, more power to him.

For that matter, if Clint himself found a Western script with a part for an 83-year-old and he really wanted to do it, fine. I just don't think it's at all likely that a Western script exists, or could exist, that would tempt him after Unforgiven.

I have a potential argument that could explain this discrepancy. Since I was in law school for three years, I can come up with these arguments all day! ;) See if this is a credible explanation. What I was arguing was that Eastwood shouldn't act again because "Gran Torino" was the perfect way to go out as an actor. I wasn't arguing that Gran Torino" would be the perfect coda to Eastwood's career as an action star. What KC, and others, are arguing is that "Unforgiven" is the perfect last western, but not that Eastwood should quit acting altogether because he'd never top "Unforgiven." What I was arguing for was much more broad. Additionally, "Gran Torino" is not the same level of quality as "Unforgiven," so whether it would be seen as a perfect way to go out as an actor would depend on the subjective determination of how good a movie it actually is. Different people evaluate that differently. In contrast, "Unforgiven" is seen by most Eastwood fans and most film critics as one of the best Westerns ever made.   
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 03:10:13 PM »

I have a potential argument that could explain this discrepancy. Since I was in law school for three years, I can come up with these arguments all day! ;) See if this is a credible explanation. What I was arguing was that Eastwood shouldn't act again because "Gran Torino" was the perfect way to go out as an actor. I wasn't arguing that Gran Torino" would be the perfect coda to Eastwood's career as an action star. What KC, and others, are arguing is that "Unforgiven" is the perfect last western, but not that Eastwood should quit acting altogether because he'd never top "Unforgiven." What I was arguing for was much more broad. Additionally, "Gran Torino" is not the same level of quality as "Unforgiven," so whether it would be seen as a perfect way to go out as an actor would depend on the subjective determination of how good a movie it actually is. Different people evaluate that differently. In contrast, "Unforgiven" is seen by most Eastwood fans and most film critics as one of the best Westerns ever made.   

Reading all that, reminded me of this.

http://www.fredometer.com/2011/03/night-at-opera-party-of-first-part.html

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 03:14:00 PM »

I fail to see how that in any way relates to this discussion.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 04:02:58 PM »

I fail to see how that in any way relates to this discussion.

It doesn't, it's what the post reminded me of, reading it.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2013, 10:02:16 AM »

I so agree SK.  ;)
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2013, 10:19:58 AM »

Lin and SK, if you don't have something productive to contribute to this conversation, than I think it would be best for you to not say anything. Posting something or supporting the posting of something that does not relate to this discussion as a way to poke fun at my expense is insulting and not an appropriate thing to do. I hope you will in the future consider this before you act in a similar fashion in the future. I respect the questions you have and the things that you contribute to this board, and I would sincerely appreciate it if you would act in kind. Thank you so much.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2013, 02:38:24 PM »

I'm pretty consistent in my views, so I agree with everyone that has stated that Clint Eastwood should not do another western. "Unforgiven" is consistently listed as one of the best westerns ever made, and whatever he seeks to do after it, no matter how good it is, will never compare to that. "Unforgiven" was Eastwood's last commentary on the western, and it should remain so.
Sonny

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2013, 04:25:41 PM »

I think he's too old to act in a Western but I wouldn't mind seeing him direct one.
rr-electricangel

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2013, 10:59:54 PM »

Anything's possible in Hollywood. If Clint did another western (yes it is possible) it wouldn't be the loner coming into town to shoot up bad guys. Maybe his son (in his 40's) is sheriff of a town but dies defending it. Clint could avenge his son's death. I would cast Clint as a blacksmith who knows tools and how to set booby traps. This allows for his experience to outfox the bandits in the end. I would also like to see more of a family interaction with Clint and his son before his untimely death. There should be a strong family bond between the two.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 12:32:49 AM by rr-electricangel » Logged

Clint Eastwood's words of wisdom: "Take your profession seriously; don't take yourself seriously. Don't take yourself seriously in the process, because you really only matter to a certain degree in the whole circus out here."
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T