News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: American Sniper: Production Information and News (Includes Box Office News)  (Read 58819 times)
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #120 on: November 16, 2014, 08:37:14 PM »

''American Sniper': AFI Fest Review ''

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie/american-sniper/review/748460

The gun — along with its significance to the United States, past and present — has been Eastwood's most frequent co-star since the beginning of his career and has played a major role in most of his best films, from the Westerns and the Dirty Harrys to the war dramas. As the title suggests, a gun — or, more precisely, an extremely high-powered rifle — shares the screen with Cooper here, although it is not at all fetishized in the manner that weapons are in the book.

Eastwood handles the tragic ending with a tact underlined with irony, creepiness and a sense of loss that echoes any number of his previous films. He might have gone deeper into the ways the war infected his subject and the struggles he faced after his final homecoming, but whatever the script ignores Cooper goes a long way toward filling in. His physical transformation — bull neck, puffier face, cowboy gait, thick Texas country accent — is one thing. And his skill with jokey banter serves him well in his early scenes with Miller and some of the guys. But nothing the actor has done before suggests the dramatic assuredness he brings to his way of detailing Kyle's self-control, confidence, coolness, genuine concern for his comrades-in-arms, compulsion to serve his country and ultimate realization that enough is enough, even of the thing he loves most, which is war.
Dark-haired and looking markedly different than in most of her previous films, Miller is best in the early stretch and seems a bit cheated by the one-dimensionality of her brief later scenes. Physically, the film is first-rate. Brighter than most of Eastwood's films, it benefits from mobile and intently focused cinematography by Tom Stern, highly realistic production design by James J. Murakami and Charisse Cardenas, propulsive editing from Joel Cox and Gary D. Roach, and a very spare music track; the sound of bullets and explosions says it all here.

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #121 on: November 16, 2014, 08:51:28 PM »

'' Clint Eastwood’s “American Sniper” An Early Hit ''

http://www.webpronews.com/clint-eastwoods-american-sniper-an-early-hit-2014-11

Clint Eastwood seems to have done it again. At 84, the incredibly talented director debuted his latest film, American Sniper, on Tuesday at the AFI Fest.

As expected, Clint Eastwood has put together a moving film that is sure to be a great tribute to the life of a true American hero.

Critics are already raving over the movie’s intense story.

Bob Strauss of Los Angeles Daily News said of the film, “Some will find it all a stirring tribute to a genuinely exceptional warrior (and whether or not you know how the story ends, Eastwood addresses it in the most respectful way imaginable). Others will see a more nuanced, non-judgmental portrait of a certain kind of American achiever. Others still might wish it had more political insight than it bothers to. Whatever the reaction, American Sniper should hit most viewers where they live.”

According to Pete Hammond at Deadline Hollywood, “After today’s unveiling, the studio can probably feel pretty good it could receive a number of [Oscar nominations] including Best Picture, Director, Adapted Screenplay for Jason Hall, Film Editing and Tom Stern’s Cinematography.”

Are you excited for Clint Eastwood’s latest masterpiece to hit theaters?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2PPGdxmNGM
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 08:52:49 PM by higashimori » Logged

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #122 on: November 16, 2014, 11:09:12 PM »

I've finally started the "Reviews and Features in the Media" thread for American Sniper:

http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/index.php?topic=9975.0

From now on, please post all quotations from and links to reviews and features there. Use this thread only for information about release dates, box office results, and the like. Thanks! :)
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #123 on: November 22, 2014, 11:42:48 PM »

‘American Sniper’ Features Music by Clint Eastwood and Ennio Morricone

Clint Eastwood has composed Taya’s Theme, the main theme music for his upcoming war drama American Sniper. The movie also features additional music by Joseph DeBeasi who serves as the music editor on the project. Also featured over the end credits sequence of the film is the track The Funeral from the 1965 western The Return of Ringo composed by Ennio Morricone. American Sniper stars Bradley Cooper, Sienna Miller, Jake McDorman, Luke Grimes, Navid Negahan and Keir O’Donnell. The movie tells the story of Chris Kyle, the most lethal sniper in U.S. military history with the nickname “Legend” and 160 confirmed kills. Jason Hall (Paranoia, Spread) has written the screenplay based on Kyle’s autobiography. Cooper is also producing the project with Andrew Lazar (Space Cowboys, 10 Things I Hate About You), Robert Lorenz (Mystic River, Trouble with the Curve) and Peter Morgan (The Queen, Rush). The drama will be released on December 25, 2014 by Warner Bros. Pictures. To learn more about the film, visit the official movie website.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2014/11/12/american-sniper-features-music-by-clint-eastwood-and-ennio-morricone/

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #124 on: December 18, 2014, 12:27:53 PM »

New trailer-equally good as the first

http://collider.com/american-sniper-trailer/

Has anybody mentioned the official site ?

http://www.americansnipermovie.com/

Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #125 on: December 18, 2014, 12:58:50 PM »

Both trailers looks so great.Can`t wait to see this one!
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #126 on: December 19, 2014, 07:47:00 AM »

I guess news about trailers, etc., still goes in this thread? I caught a TV spot for the film in last night's Elementary. It was interesting that I did catch it, because I was skipping through the commercials, yet somehow it still grabbed my attention. Looks great.
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #127 on: December 27, 2014, 12:43:16 AM »

American Sniper’ Breaks Christmas Record in Limited Release

“American Sniper” and “Selma” — the last awards contenders to open this year — have launched impressively in their Christmas Day debuts.

Warner Bros.’ “Sniper,” starring Bradley Cooper and Sienna Miller, was particularly stellar with $240,212 at four venues — breaking the all-time record for a limited release under 10 screens on Christmas Day.

It played in Dallas, Los Angeles and New York.

Clint Eastwood directed the R-rated “American Sniper” from a script by Jason Hall, based on Chris Kyle’s autobiography about his tour of duty in Iraq and his struggles as a father and husband.

Warner Bros. will expand “American Sniper” into a nationwide release on Jan. 16 — the day after Oscar nominations are announced.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/american-sniper-breaks-christmas-record-in-limited-release-1201387608/

exit00

Dying ain't much of a livin'

View Profile Email
« Reply #128 on: December 27, 2014, 10:35:14 AM »

"Warner Bros.’ “Sniper,” starring Bradley Cooper and Sienna Miller, was particularly stellar with $240,212 at four venues — breaking the all-time record for a limited release under 10 screens on Christmas Day".

Impressive.  It would be nice for Clint to have a film that does great at the box-office right away.
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #129 on: December 27, 2014, 12:29:31 PM »

Clint Eastwood's "American Sniper" appears headed toward one of the top limited debuts of all-time with $199,000 or $49,750 per screen in just four theaters.

http://www.hitfix.com/news/box-office-hobbit-3-takes-no-1-back-from-unbroken-on-friday

MC

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #130 on: December 30, 2014, 11:26:12 AM »

Debuting at four locations, American Sniper took in an estimated $610,000 this weekend ($850,000 including Christmas Day). That translates to an exceptional $152,500 per-theater average, which ranks 11th all-time. More impressively, it ranks second all-time for a live-action movie at more than one location, behind March's The Grand Budapest Hotel. Sniper expands nationwide on January 16th.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3987&p=.htm
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #131 on: January 03, 2015, 12:58:57 PM »

Meanwhile, Clint Eastwood’s “American Sniper” continues to deliver in limited release. The Bradley Cooper-starrer is expected to see a per screen average of $50,000 this weekend ($80,000 for the five-day holiday) on four screens, raising its cume to $2 million-plus.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/box-office-the-hobbit-finale-heads-for-third-consecutive-win-1201391717/

MC

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #132 on: January 04, 2015, 02:05:37 PM »

Playing at the same four locations as last weekend, Clint Eastwood's American Sniper added an estimated $640,000 this weekend. That translates to $160,000 per theater, which is the biggest second weekend average ever for a live-action movie (the previous record was $96,549 for Moulin Rouge).

While its usually foolish to make assumptions about a movie's nationwide appeal based on its performance in four theaters, Sniper's remarkable run so far does suggest that long-term commercial prospects are quite good. When the movie expands wide on January 16th, it's a safe bet that it at least matches Zero Dark Thirty opening ($24.4 million), and it could even wind up near Lone Survivor ($37.8 million).

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3991&p=.htm
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #133 on: January 16, 2015, 09:51:28 AM »

‘American Sniper’ Pulls Trigger With Strong $5.3 Million at Thursday Box Office

The Clint Eastwood-directed Iraq War drama starring Bradley Cooper debuts after scoring earlier in day at Oscar nominations
“American Sniper,” the haunting tale of a lethally accurate marksman coming home to his family a changed man, brought in a sizzling $5.3 million from preview shows Thursday night.
It was the beginning of a nationwide box-office barrage that is expected to net more than $50 million for the Clint Eastwood-directed Iraq War saga starring Bradley Cooper over a jammed Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday weekend for distributor Warner Bros., and set a new record for a January opening.

The explosive early show debut came on the same day that Village Roadshow’s “American Sniper,” adapted by Jason Hall from U.S. Navy SEAL Chris Kyle’s autobiography, was nominated for eight Academy Awards including Best Picture, Actor and Adapted Screenplay.

It appeared to have received an immediate and significant Oscar bump, as advance sales Thursday skyrocketed by an astronomical 234 percent from Wednesday at online ticket broker Fandango.
The preview showing by “American Sniper” blows away that of “Lone Survivor,” the Afghan War saga that took in $1.5 million in Thursday night screenings on the way to a $37.8 million debut for Universal Pictures last January. And it’s not that far from summer superhero-sized numbers; “X-Men: Days of Future Past” took in $8.1 million from Thursday shows as it headed to a $90 million first weekend for Fox in May.
Distributor Warner Bros. began the early shows at 7 p.m., anxious to turn both the patriotic fervor and Oscar buzz surrounding “American Sniper” into grosses.

Heartland audiences and military families are expected to turn out in force, Cooper and Eastwood both have significant fan followings and the Oscar nominations are sure to help, so “American Sniper” looks like a good bet to eclipse the $41.5 million three-day weekend record set by Universal’s “Ride Along” last year.

http://www.thewrap.com/american-sniper-pulls-trigger-with-5-3-million-at-thursday-box-office/

antonis
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #134 on: January 17, 2015, 09:14:09 AM »

American Sniper’ Earns Record-Breaking $30.5 Mil Friday, Shoots for $80 Mil-Plus Weekend

“American Sniper” is proving to be a lethal force at the U.S. box office.

Clint Eastwood’s Iraq War drama grossed a spectacular $30.5 million on Friday. It looks to haul a record-breaking $80 million-plus this Martin Luther King, Jr. weekend, easily overtaking last year’s “Ride Along,” which launched to $41.5 million, as the highest-grossing January debut in history.

The pic, which is expected to make more than $68 million by Sunday, is also obliterating Eastwood’s previous opening record of $29.5 million for 2008’s “Gran Torino.”

The sum is nearly double recent forecasts that were as low as $44 million for the four-day weekend. Warner Bros. is downplaying estimates and shooting for $65 million this holiday weekend.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/american-sniper-earns-record-breaking-30-5-mil-friday-shoots-for-80-mil-plus-weekend-1201407861/

antonis
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #135 on: January 18, 2015, 11:47:13 AM »

‘American Sniper’ Aims for $100 Million After Blowing Away January Box-Office Records

Patriotic passion, Oscar buzz drive huge debut for Clint Eastwood-directed Iraq War saga starring Bradley Cooper
With patriotic passion and Oscar buzz providing a double-barreled boost, the Iraq War saga “American Sniper” hit the bulls-eye at the box office with the biggest January opening ever in its nationwide expansion.
The Clint Eastwood-directed drama starring Bradley Cooper was at $90.2 million Sunday, distributor Warner Bros. reported. Its massive debut will more than double the former January mark for a three-day debut, and the R-rated Village Roadshow drama is on pace to top $100 million by Monday, the end of the Martin Luther King holiday weekend. It’s the best four-day opening ever for an R-rated movie, and will easily eclipse the $68.5 million that “Avatar” opened to in 2010 as the best January debut ever.
The explosive and historic start for “American Sniper,” adapted by Jason Hall from U.S. Navy SEAL Chris Kyle’s autobiography, was fueled by the six Academy Award nominations it received Thursday, including Best Picture, Actor and Adapted Screenplay. And Heartland audiences turned out in force to help “American Sniper” blow past the expectations of analysts and the studio, who had foreseen a four-day total between $50 million and $60 million.

We’ve never seen anything like this,” Dan Fellman, the Warner Bros. distribution told TheWrap Sunday. “It played great everywhere, in the big cities and suburbs and red and blue states. But if you look at the top 20 locales, you see places like Texas, Oklahoma, Albuquerque, which don’t normally turn out for R-rated films.
“It played like a superhero movie, and this time, the superhero was a real-life one,” Fellman said, referring to Kyle, whose book the film was based on.
“American Sniper’ was so dominant that the second-place movie on Sunday, Kevin Hart’s “The Wedding Ringer,” was roughly $65 million behind the war drama despite posting the best opening ever for an R-rated comedy in January with $24.8 million. The debut, Hart’s fourth straight opening of more than $20 million for Sony Pictures’ niche label Screen Gems, topped the film’s $23 million production budget and further burnished the comedian’s impressive box-office credentials.

http://www.thewrap.com/ameican-sniper-aims-for-100-million-after-blowing-away-january-box-office-record/

warren218

View Profile Email
« Reply #136 on: January 18, 2015, 04:24:37 PM »

I don't think it's nice, you laughing
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #137 on: January 18, 2015, 07:39:29 PM »

Great news!
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #138 on: January 19, 2015, 07:03:35 AM »

http://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/american-sniper-box-office#.naQv9Plk4

So is this Eastwoods`s "the biggest" box-office hit" ever...when included all his films ???
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #139 on: January 19, 2015, 12:14:43 PM »

Well, according to the Buzzfeed story you linked to ...

Sniper topped [Eastwood's] 44-year directorial career after its first day in wide release.
:D
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T