News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Petition to Relaunch Dirty Harry Franchise  (Read 2200 times)
dhcallahan

View Profile Email
« on: November 12, 2013, 12:15:06 PM »

I went to see "Dirty Harry" at the nationwide classic movie screening in November.  I thought it would be awesome if Clint could come out of retirement and do one more Dirty Harry film and maybe pass the torch to a new Inspector Callahan.   That's why I am supporting this petition....and I hope you do as well!

http://www.change.org/petitions/clint-eastwood-re-launch-the-dirty-harry-movie-franchise?utm_source=guides&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=petition_created
rr-electricangel

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 05:30:31 PM »

Signed it. Great idea!  8)

Clint Eastwood's words of wisdom: "Take your profession seriously; don't take yourself seriously. Don't take yourself seriously in the process, because you really only matter to a certain degree in the whole circus out here."
_Clintan_

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 10:28:36 AM »

Personally, I'd never want to see anyone else playing Harry Callahan, it's Clint's role. So a passing the torch idea is a horrible one, IMHO. The James Bond formula is not for every franchise.

AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 12:01:54 PM »

I respect those who want to see another entry in this series, and a few years ago, I could have been persuaded to support another "Dirty Harry" movie, but for God's sake, the guy is 84 now.  We can't have someone approaching their ninth decade playing a cop when cops typically retire at 55 years old. Even as a retired cop it would still be crazy. Nobody is going to have someone that old assist in a murder investigation. It just wouldn't be realistic, and if Eastwood were to return to the franchise at this point, he would be mercilessly ridiculed. The fact is that the time for this franchise has passed. It's unfortunate that Eastwood ended the series with "The Dead Pool," but another movie in this franchise would no longer be plausible at this point. The only reason that Eastwood would even entertain doing this would be if he wasn't able to be successful doing anything else, but since Eastwood is a well-respected and critically acclaimed director, he always has the ability to make movies. Unlike some, he doesn't have to recycle old movie franchises whose time has passed in order to remain relevant and have a career in the industry. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 12:07:35 PM by AKA23 » Logged
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 11:59:26 AM »

Enough already with the Dirty Harry Movies.... Everyone should be hoping Jersey Boys does well @ the Box Office...
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 04:45:39 AM »

Enough already with the Dirty Harry Movies.... Everyone should be hoping Jersey Boys does well @ the Box Office...

Perry,you're so right.

AKA23 you're in my mind :uglystupid2:

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
Whistledixie

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 06:05:25 AM »

The only thing that really makes him too old in my opinion is the fact he won't do it. I wrote a DH story two years ago and at the time thought it would be the last window for him to do the role. So by extension that suggests the window would be closed now, except that when seeing pics or footage of him I think he still looks tough and scary enough to pull it off (without any fisticuffs, of course, which my story didn't contain -- it was pushing it when that took place in Sudden Impact, let alone now).

As for saying that no one would have someone that old assist in a murder investigation, it's a fine assertion, but doesn't really preclude it in real life or on screen. Plus he's not just someone, he's Harry Callahan -- aided, in my tale, (and illustrated in portions not posted in the STILL DIRTY thread) that nothing the cops were doing was working and they had nothing to lose. Mine is a politically-driven story, as well, and brought to mind the people Eastwood's age or older in the realm of politics who are consulted on commissions and whatnot. Eastwood has always sought to undermine stereotypes and prejudices anyway, so why not take on ageism? One of the refrains I had him say was "Work smarter not harder," which spoke to the ethic that he could hone his game to still get the same results with less as he got older. Another model I had in mind was "The Cruel Tutelage of Pai Mei" from Kill Bill, where the old master only got tougher and better with age.

Plus, without a healthy dose of suspension of disbelief (and/or fudging a bit on just how old he is), you really don't have a Dirty Harry series. Every film would be a story of him firing his gun in one incident then going on paid administrative leave during the investigation if worrying about reality was the primary concern. Not to mention any number of other examples. For me, as long as the story is something other than an excuse to try and put "action hero Dirty Harry" back in action (my own was driven by the politics of the moment, not tryng to bring Harry out of retirement), I think it could be pulled off if Eastwood wanted to. If he's still alive and working, so could Harry Callahan be. It would have to be a tight, solid film though, imo, to make it worth it.

As for him being mercilessly ridiculed, didn't he just go through that a couple years ago after his improv? Did he seem to care? So why care now? Just last week TMZ showed a clip of the "chair" speech with a title that said "R.I.P. Clint's Cool." Well, when you already got nothin' you got nothin' to lose. I think the Clint Eastwood character he came in with could well pull off one more dance, imo, and sure would/would've gotten a lot more buzz, notice, and undoubtedly acclaim if he did a Harry role instead of, say, something like Trouble With The Curve (which he filmed right when he could've been filming mine, if Leonard Hirshan hadn't said "Yup. Done. Closed the book. Never to be opened again" when I told him I understood that Clint had closed the book on the character but. . . knowing there really was no but).

If Clint lives, Harry lives. Personally, I would go see him on the big screen if he showed up again.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 06:01:02 AM by Whistledixie » Logged
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 02:13:30 PM »

I must say that I think you make a great case for another "Dirty Harry" movie, Whistledixie, but as you yourself acknowledged, Clint isn't interested, and it would be very difficult to overcome the ridicule Clint would likely experience from rehashing a character whose story finished 26 years ago. I suppose his age could be fudged a bit. I think that's actually a pretty good idea now that you mention it, but I still think it would be very difficult to do right. The possibility of it being horrible are much better than the possibility of it being fantastic, and I think it's that that likely makes Eastwood wary of returning to the character.

I must confess, although I remember supporting your efforts to get Clint to look at your script, I don't really remember what it was about. From the few things you say about it in your message, it sounds like an interesting idea. Would you be willing to provide a rundown of your script idea for this? I know it won't get made, but I'd still like to know about it anyway.

Whistledixie

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 05:52:45 AM »

Thanks, AKA, appreciate that! I can't disagree that some would mock, but especially these days people are gonna mock regardless so might as well do what you want. But of course he doesn't want, so there's that. I just think if he made a cool film that was simple and straightforward, the critics could say what they want but the audience would appreciate and connect to it. I keep thinking it would be great to have Tarantino produce or something (though some don't like his stuff, and can't recall if that includes you) so that it was part homage to the genre itself and a cool stylized look/color palette reminiscent of the first one, which sorta got lost as films took on a different style in later years. I keep thinking of the Star Trek film, too, where they worked in a bunch of cultural references about the franchise that had accumulated over the years...like having say Kirk say "Are you out of your Vulcan mind?" to Spock, which I think came from SNL or someplace, and Scotty saying "I'm givin' her all she's got, captain!" and things like that. Been quite awhile since I've seen it, but that aspect really stood out as payoff for fans at the time.

With that in mind I had him say, as a big pay off at the end (spoiler alert!), "Feel lucky, punk?"...which of course is misquoting the first film, but how the quote has mostly been remembered in the culture, so I figured why not give it to them? It's actually set up by an earlier sequence that alludes to and reworks his old monologue...which kinda made sense to me, because the guy did used to say it to torment his prey, so why wouldn't he remember it now? 

The plot essentially involves a stand-off and/or war that has developed between Occupy Wallstreet type protestors in a city park and streets and the bankers of the financial district which has evolved into people on both sides being killed tit-for-tat in ever more sensational ways. The cable news media is of course fueling and hyping the whole thing to make it even worse and the cops/city leaders are having no luck solving the crimes, which have been dubbed "The Eye for an Eye Murders."

I found it interesting, because I'd only rewatched Dirty Harry before working out the story, then realized there were a bunch of references to the series that were unintended but there. One is making the media one of the bad guys, which is in a couple of the films. Sondra Locke also mentions "an eye for an eye" in Sudden Impact as well as something about philosophy 101 (or something), and mine has a philosophy professor as Harry's friend at the beginning whose conversation helps spur him to want to return to San Fran. He is retired and fly fishing at the beginning, based on Clint's line used several times with Letterman and others at the time of Gran Torino when asked if he'd ever do another Harry, and saying "What would he be doing, fly fishing with his .44?"...which made me think he had that imagery for what Harry would be doing in retirement (though not with the .44 in my tale).

Harry's detective friend is also named Leonard Scofield, not unlike Schofield in Unforgiven, but that was actually inadvertent (or subconscious) due to I was recycling a cop character from another story of mine named Leonard Scarber, and sought a slight variation. He gets the last line (2nd spoiler!) based off a conversation at the beginning Harry has with the professor, who quotes Aldous Huxley's idea that "the things that happen to people are like the people they happen to," which Harry later says to Scofield, and Scofield reworks at the end, as he surveys the results of Harry having solved the crimes in his inimitable style, with: "You know, Harry, when you're around, the things that happen to other people are alot like you, too." 

The thread with screenplay excerpts is still in the Dirty Harry section (titled STILL DIRTY) if you can bear to reread it, but that's the gist. The idea was driven by the current (though evolving) political situation in the country and my interest in it...not, as I say, just trying to get Harry back in action, but a situatiion where it would be cool to have him. Any scenario where the plot was approached like that would make for a decent film in my view, rather than looking for "another Dirty Harry film."
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 07:28:53 AM by Whistledixie » Logged
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 02:02:34 PM »

I think centering the film around conflict between Occupy Wall Street protestors and the financial district is actually quite creative, but since Eastwood is a conservative, I think that would probably be another barrier towards him signing on for this. I know that he doesn't necessarily act out his political beliefs in his movies, but I've heard Eastwood talk in interviews. He frequently talks about the benefits of the private sector. He was very business friendly as Mayor of Carmel, and being an entrepreneur himself, I don't think he'd be particularly receptive to a film which elevates the concerns of the Occupy Wall Street protestors or paints big business and the financial industry in a decidedly negative light.
Whistledixie

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 06:30:03 PM »

I don't think he'd be particularly receptive to a film which elevates the concerns of the Occupy Wall Street protestors or paints big business and the financial industry in a decidedly negative light.

That is no doubt true and definitely a major consideration throughout...so the story doesn't really elevate OWS (or the "Take Back" movement as they're dubbed) or shine a particularly negative light on the bankers. It just shines a light on both sides and generally the whole cultural condition, especially through the character of the cable news media. In fact, when Harry first goes to see the Take Back demonstration and surveys the scene, he says: "And I thought the wildlife had been driven from the parks..."

But then he also rides the banker when he goes to meet him, if only to sees how he reacts. If anything, he and his partner are more openly disdainful of the protestors -- though Harry is ultimately indifferent to both, while his young partner is clearly more deferential to the banker.

There's no doubt a left-leaning Harry would just be silly, but -- his own politics and party aside -- Clint has said, perhaps somewhat coyly, that he saw no big rightwing message in Dirty Harry and didn't intend it that way. And I have to say, as left as I may be, I didn't see him that way either. Particularly as a kid, when I just saw him as a guy who protected the weak and powerless from the evil and powerful. I guess that carried over for me and I still see him that way, regardless of the politics of adulthood. And in fact, in Magnum Force there was a concerted intent to undermine that very idea by having the bad guys be rightwing fascist types who Harry also opposed as strongly as he did the pseudo-hippy in the first film, and is the meaning behind the line "I'm afraid you've misjudged me." That was really the spirit I wrote this Harry in. Perhaps something more akin to "I'm not prejudiced. I hate everyone." Or at least everyone bad.

I also thought it was striking that Clint made a major political comment right at the time that he could have released this film! (!) It was half-a-tick off the kind of thing he was going to be doing anyway, and I dare say it would have gone over better (!!). Now I think it would be cool just as a thumb in the eye of those who think he would stay away from such a subject. Or something like that. Mostly just because I think it brings the character back to the subject matter from whence he sprang, before his particular idiosyncrasies were emphasized more than the context in which they occurred.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 06:35:33 PM by Whistledixie » Logged
Wirral Writer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2014, 07:05:22 AM »

Personally, I'd never want to see anyone else playing Harry Callahan, it's Clint's role. So a passing the torch idea is a horrible one, IMHO. The James Bond formula is not for every franchise.

I totally agree. Nobody -  I mean NOBODY - could fill Clint's shoes in that role. He made it his own.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T