News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Underrated scene in The Enforcer  (Read 1987 times)
don strouds combover

View Profile Email
« on: March 24, 2014, 05:57:17 AM »

While not my favourite Dirty Harry film , The Enforcer contains one of my fave scenes which I never seem to hear anyone mention.
Maybe I'm the only person affected by it , but to me, the scene between Harry and Big Ed Mustafa is particularly poignant and reveals a side of Harry rarely seen or discussed .
the dialogue i enjoy is:

Big Ed: Hey Callahan, you on the wrong side

Harry: How do you figure?

BE: You go out there everyday and put your ass on the line for a buncha dudes who wouldn't even let you in the front door, ANYMORE.........than they would me!

H : Oh , i don't do it for them...

BE : Who then?

H: you wouldn't believe me if i told ya....

to me this reveals Harry and defines part of him at the same time, and as a piece of cinema its wonderfully underplayed and delightfully understated.

It never fails to get a grin from me and is possibly the only real fraction of character development in the last 3 films of the series.

British cinema writers   Alan Frank and Iain Johnstone suggested Harry was a protector of the oppressed, the section of society most harmed by crime, I tend to agree and this succinct and fine scene seems to suggest this.

Thoughts, anyone?
The Man With No Aim
Member Extraordinaire

"There are two kinds of men in this world"

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 01:19:34 AM »

Well, I saw a steady progression of character development all the way through the first four (I have not yet watched five all the way through properly). I was genuinely impressed by the development in Sudden Impact, in which Harry displayed a rich, jaded, maturity that would be perfectly natural and expected for a good cop that has seen years of antisocial criminal behavior that seems to be unstoppable.

In fact, to be truthful, I thought The Enforcer portrayed Harry to be a little bit less stressed than I think a real life good cop with high ideals would have been at that stage of his career and personal maturity. 

"In all the excitement I lost count myself'
The Man With No Aim
Member Extraordinaire

"There are two kinds of men in this world"

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 09:03:17 PM »

I apologize. I went off on a tangent and failed to specifically reply to your comment.

I completely agree that the scene you mentioned is a strong revelation of the Harry character development. It covers a lot of ground in just a few sentences to show us what Harry's motive is.

"In all the excitement I lost count myself'
don strouds combover

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 02:48:26 PM »

I think you nailed the essence of Don Seigel's work with Clint right there,  " Covers alot a ground in a few sentences"  thats something these two collaborators excell at and i've always enjoyed their subtlety.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T