News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Gauntlet - Locke or Streisand?  (Read 6193 times)
davytriumph
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 28, 2014, 04:38:40 AM »

I have always loved "The Gauntlet" and not ashamed to admit it either.  I have never been a member of the Sondra Locke fan club and I have always felt that Barbera Streisand would have been a far better choice.  I know she was in the running for the part but lost out to Locke.

Who would you choose?

"Theres three dollars, including the tip"
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 05:16:39 AM »

Streisand without a doubt. It has nothing to do with Locke and who she was, it is purely her lack of acting ability. I find her wooden and expressionless. 
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 09:48:56 AM »

Interesting topic. I don't think I've ever seen Streisand in a movie, so I can't say. I do like Locke's performance in The Gauntlet, and have felt that it's probably her best performance from any of the movies she did with Eastwood.
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 10:05:44 AM »

I like Locke's performance in this one.
Her best performance alongside Bronco Billy.Don't think Streisand could do better.

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 11:00:24 AM »

I can't see Streisand in this part. I've always liked this film, and I agree with Antonis that it is among Locke's best performances.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 12:00:58 PM »

Ive always thought Locke was ideal for this film and did a good job... Its easily my favourite role of hers in an Eastwood film....

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
The Man With No Aim
Member Extraordinaire

"There are two kinds of men in this world"

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 11:07:10 PM »

I see it this way.

Some people ARE wooden and expressionless. I was born pretty much that way. Some film and play characters are envisioned and created by their writer-creator wooden and expressionless.

So a good and accurate acting job will convincingly capture that woodenness and expressionlessness.

I thought that Sondra Locke highly convincingly captured the psychotic state induced in the sister of the victim in Sudden Impact. I cannot imagine, even with a gallon of wine to help me relax and think more clearly, that Babs could have portrayed such a thing.

I have not yet seen Gauntlet, so I cannot honestly comment about whether I think that Locke or Babs would have my top casting choice.

"In all the excitement I lost count myself'
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 02:32:03 AM »

I like Locke's performance in this one.
Her best performance alongside Bronco Billy.Don't think Streisand could do better.

She is perfect in Bronco Billy, that's true, as for Mrs Streisand, I don't believe it would have been a good choice ... maybe not "delicate" enough ... despite of the wonderful parts she played .

In this particular "The Gauntlet" part,  I can imagine Ali Mc Graw with her long black hair, I don't know why  :)

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 03:44:57 AM »

I chose Streisand because the question was Locke or Streisand?  I don't like Locke in this movie if I am honest I would have preferred to see just about anyone else in it.
Sorry but that is my opinion. She is my least favourite actress. Of the movies she made with Clint I suppose Bronco Billy is the best, however I am sure someone else could have filled the roll with more feeling.
There are other leading female rolls played in Eastwood movies by actresses I wish had not been given the part. Then there are others that I think are just perfect for the role. We all have our favourites and it is just as well not everyone likes the same people.   :)
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2014, 07:24:35 AM »

We all have our favourites and it is just as well not everyone likes the same people.   :)
Hopefully, because there will only be one or two actresses  ! You're right Lin ;).

The choice was between Locke and Streisand, and concerning the choices Mr Eastwood made for the movies, sometimes, we don't like the female part at all : for exemple, as for me, I don't like Cecile de France in "Hereafter", but I liked Angelina Jolie a lot in "Changeling" : and I believe that a lot of people on the Board don't share my opinion ... same for everything, that's why it is so nice to talk and share feelings and thoughts about movies here :)

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2014, 12:01:32 PM »

Well said Sylvie.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2014, 02:02:15 PM »

I don't know how to say this without being insensitive, which is not my intention, but I think that for the character in "The Gauntlet" to be believable, the actress portraying her needs to be attractive. To me, Barbara Streisand is less attractive than Sondra Locke. The character is a prostitute, and in order to be seen as a credible character, a prostitute has to be able to trade on her looks. I don't think Sondra Locke is a great beauty either, but of the two, she is the more attractive person, and I think that trait is particularly important for her role in "The Gauntlet."

I don't really like Sondra Locke in any of the movies that she appeared in with Eastwood. If Eastwood were not dating her at the time, I doubt she would have been cast in any of  her roles, as I think there are clearly better actresses out there that Eastwood could have chosen. However, of the roles that she did with Eastwood, I think "The Gauntlet" is her best performance, and her most interesting role.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2014, 11:01:31 PM »

I think Barbara's gorgeous..... Prostitutes come in  all shapes and size's...
But I do think Locke has the right amount of feistiness for the role....  There is a coldness to her that works here and plays well opposite Clint...

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
The Man With No Aim
Member Extraordinaire

"There are two kinds of men in this world"

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2014, 11:13:23 PM »

I don't know how to say this without being insensitive, which is not my intention, but I think that for the character in "The Gauntlet" to be believable, the actress portraying her needs to be attractive. To me, Barbara Streisand is less attractive than Sondra Locke. The character is a prostitute, and in order to be seen as a credible character, a prostitute has to be able to trade on her looks. I don't think Sondra Locke is a great beauty either, but of the two, she is the more attractive person, and I think that trait is particularly important for her role in "The Gauntlet."

I don't really like Sondra Locke in any of the movies that she appeared in with Eastwood. If Eastwood were not dating her at the time, I doubt she would have been cast in any of  her roles, as I think there are clearly better actresses out there that Eastwood could have chosen. However, of the roles that she did with Eastwood, I think "The Gauntlet" is her best performance, and her most interesting role.

With that bit of information I will proceed to again talk about something without knowing what I'm talking about. Its never stopped me yet, why stop now?

A prostitute. OK thats a real good starting point. In my life I have given this subject some careful thought. On a theoretical basis.

I consider Babs to have the kind of screen presence that could convincingly portray the specific kind of attractiveness that a prostitute would need to have.  For an example, I think she could have successfully portrayed the female lead villain in Sudden Impact, whereas I strongly doubt that Locke could have carried that role. And conversely, I strongly doubt that Babs could have carried the role of the psychotic serial killer sister of the victim whereas I think Locke nailed it.

OK, OK, I know I have to now watch Gauntlet and see if I think that Locke successfully had the type of screen presence to nail that role as a prostitute. Being forced to watch still another Eastwood film, which, going by the statistics is going to be another fine enjoyable film. Its a rotten job but somebody gots to do it.

"In all the excitement I lost count myself'
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2014, 11:38:45 PM »

In The Gauntlet, Clint's character and Locke's character's jailer have a brief exchange from which one gathers they don't think much of Locke's looks, or at least have doubts about how appropriate her appearance is for a prostitute.

SHOCKLEY (Eastwood): That's a hooker?

DESK SERGEANT: The kick now is the schoolgirl look.
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2014, 07:29:24 PM »

Originally the movie was for Streisand and Steve McQueen. Not a big fan of the movie, but Locke was very good in it. I dont agree with her role in Bronco Billy. Her acting was over the top dismal.
Walt
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2014, 07:38:41 AM »

Streisand would have been great. She's a much better actress that Locke and has screen presence which Locke does not. She's also a sexy woman as is obvious when you seen her in one of my favourite comedies ever "What's Up Doc" Locke was OK in the role but I've just never warmed to her. I never know what the hell Clint saw in her.
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2014, 01:09:21 PM »

Well Walt, Maybe Clint thought Locke had a nice personality....Besides, Locke did look nice in those hip huggers......
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2014, 11:02:46 PM »

As talented Streisand is I still think Locke was good choice for the role.Always though that this is her second best film after Sudden Impact.
Also there are some scenes in the film that I simply can`t see done by Streisand...than again McQueen/Streisand`s The Gauntlet would`ve been intresting to see (did not know that Eastwood`s part was first offered to McQueen) Not sure if it would`ve been better but intresting.Still I´m glad how things turned out as The Gauntlet is good film as it is.
JLNeibaur

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2014, 10:26:59 AM »

I think The Gauntlet is brilliant and Locke is effective in the role.  I never had as much of a problem with her as other fans seem to have.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T