News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Five Reasons For A Dirty Harry 6  (Read 20477 times)
The Man With No Aim
Member Extraordinaire

"There are two kinds of men in this world"

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2014, 01:45:40 AM »

I misread electricangel's quote, thinking youth should "not" be inserted.  Sorry about my error.

I see what you mean about fans not wanting Eastwood to take a backseat to a younger Harry and I agree in that I wouldn't want him doing so if the sequel's main character was "Dirty Harry, Jr."  I do, however, feel it would work just as I outlined above, in that he'd be either coming out of retirement or even just helping on an old case of his, with his real life son, Scott, playing the younger Callahan.  To be honest, at Clint's age I think that's the only possible scenario that would be successful and satisfying.

Well, I kinda disagree. I'm an old Clint fan, from the days of Rawhide on tv in the 50s. I think that Harry is characterized by being a very rough and tough fellow. I know from personal experience that a man can be rough and tough even if he cannot move round like a ballerina. Clint has shown all the way through his career that he can project roughness and toughness even if he is standing perfectly still. In fact, I believe that the projection of fierceness is even more fundamental to appreciating Harry than seeing a lot of movement and physical activity.

I would genuinely enjoy seeing another Harry. One starring Clint, not at all any kind of a cameo. Don't overlook the fact that Harry was always portrayed as a clever fellow. He was not simply a dummy that knew how to run across rooftops and shoot.

But I certainly would not object to a film that also happened to boost his son into a good career start.

"In all the excitement I lost count myself'
B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2014, 06:16:01 AM »

Well, I kinda disagree. I'm an old Clint fan, from the days of Rawhide on tv in the 50s. I think that Harry is characterized by being a very rough and tough fellow. I know from personal experience that a man can be rough and tough even if he cannot move round like a ballerina. Clint has shown all the way through his career that he can project roughness and toughness even if he is standing perfectly still. In fact, I believe that the projection of fierceness is even more fundamental to appreciating Harry than seeing a lot of movement and physical activity.

I would genuinely enjoy seeing another Harry. One starring Clint, not at all any kind of a cameo. Don't overlook the fact that Harry was always portrayed as a clever fellow. He was not simply a dummy that knew how to run across rooftops and shoot.

But I certainly would not object to a film that also happened to boost his son into a good career start.

I, too, would love to see Eastwood back as Dirty Harry but realistically, it wouldn't be believable at 84.  I'm not saying he should have a mere cameo, rather, equal billing with his son Scott as he plays the elder Callahan with the younger Eastwood portraying a more youthful Harry, pre-Dirty Harry.  I think Clint would be more believable in a western at this stage of his career, perhaps a co-starring vehicle with another legend, Robert Duvall.   
The Man With No Aim
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2014, 11:55:50 PM »

I, too, would love to see Eastwood back as Dirty Harry but realistically, it wouldn't be believable at 84.  I'm not saying he should have a mere cameo, rather, equal billing with his son Scott as he plays the elder Callahan with the younger Eastwood portraying a more youthful Harry, pre-Dirty Harry.  I think Clint would be more believable in a western at this stage of his career, perhaps a co-starring vehicle with another legend, Robert Duvall.   

Clint could be believable in any genre, at this stage in his life and career, if the script was competent. Teaming him with Duvall would certainly be a treat, but, would hardly be necessary.

B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2014, 05:57:04 AM »

Clint could be believable in any genre, at this stage in his life and career, if the script was competent. Teaming him with Duvall would certainly be a treat, but, would hardly be necessary.

Well, not necessarily the action movie genre.  A lot of members disagree that having Clint appear in an Expendables sequel would be a good thing.  I understand their point but it would be believeable to have him in a small role (which, of course, is unlikely) rather than alongside Stallone and Statham.  Yeah, maybe teaming with Duvall wouldn't be necessary but I agree that it would be a treat, especially in a western.  Duvall was great in Open Range and Broken Trail.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 12:55:07 PM by Jed Cooper » Logged
don strouds combover

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2014, 02:30:44 AM »

Only if Eastwood directs son Kyle as a young Harry....

I'm with you Gant, casting Kyle would be a winner. Although he's a bass player not an actor, from what I hear and see of Kyle he has that Eastwood demeanour, the glare , the bad attitude, what we Aussies call " a bit of mongrel in him!" unlike Scott who looks  more like his dad, but is too pretty to be Harry at any age. Or maybe I'm just jealous cause he's so good lookin' and I've got a head like a smashed crab!!!!!!!!
B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2014, 04:57:09 AM »

I'm with you Gant, casting Kyle would be a winner. Although he's a bass player not an actor, from what I hear and see of Kyle he has that Eastwood demeanour, the glare , the bad attitude, what we Aussies call " a bit of mongrel in him!" unlike Scott who looks  more like his dad, but is too pretty to be Harry at any age. Or maybe I'm just jealous cause he's so good lookin' and I've got a head like a smashed crab!!!!!!!!

Having Kyle portray a young Callahan would be cool, but my vote goes to Scott due to the closer resemblance.
Whistledixie

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2014, 05:27:32 AM »

unlike Scott who looks  more like his dad, but is too pretty to be Harry at any age. Or maybe I'm just jealous cause he's so good lookin' and I've got a head like a smashed crab!!!!!!!!

That was the thought that came to mind after seeing the Hugo Boss ads of Scott on the other thread...might have to be called Pretty Harry.  I do think he'd be the better choice, though, due to closer resemblance...and because Kyle is already older than Clint was when he did Dirty Harry, not that he couldn't portray someone younger, but I think Scott would work better for it myself...

First I agree with MWNA, though, that a film with just Clint would be the best option for my personal taste...thinking maybe a flashback film might have a tinge of "gimmicky" to it that draws more attention to his age than not. But also think it would be pretty cool, independent of Clint's age, because of the unique situation of having a son that could do the part, and because it's just interesting on its own like the aforementioned Star Trek. In that scenario, I also think Jed Cooper's idea of a cold case is a cool way to bring Harry in, adds an interesting dynamic, and makes a good through-line between the two storylines.

On a sidenote: in regard to the head like a smashed crab, I gotta ask, have you considered a combover? :)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 05:37:11 AM by Whistledixie » Logged
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2014, 10:55:35 AM »

I think who should portray a younger Harry should be dictated not only by physical resemblance but also by acting talent. Thus far, neither Scott nor Kyle has displayed the talent required to have the type of screen presence to become a younger Harry. Screen presence is about a lot more than a physical resemblance. Kyle is a musician, not an actor. "Honkytonk Man" is his only significant role. I'd have to see a lot more of Scott Eastwood's performances before I'd be ready to say that he could assume the mantle of the character that his father made so iconic. 
B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2014, 11:47:07 AM »

I think who should portray a younger Harry should be dictated not only by physical resemblance but also by acting talent. Thus far, neither Scott nor Kyle has displayed the talent required to have the type of screen presence to become a younger Harry. Screen presence is about a lot more than a physical resemblance. Kyle is a musician, not an actor. "Honkytonk Man" is his only significant role. I'd have to see a lot more of Scott Eastwood's performances before I'd be ready to say that he could assume the mantle of the character that his father made so iconic.

Very good observation, AKA.  Maybe another good 5-7 years of acting would do it for Scott.  Sadly, by that time Kyle will be well past the age Clint took on the role initially.  As the observation was already made, he's past that now.  Had Kyle chosen the acting path rather than music, he'd probably be believable as either a younger Dirty Harry or perhaps a son.  Given more experience, my vote still goes with Scott.

don strouds combover

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2014, 03:39:00 PM »

On a sidenote: in regard to the head like a smashed crab, I gotta ask, have you considered a combover? :)
[/quote]

I have considered the combover, but whenever I'm faced with the desperate reality of Don Stroud's epic hair plastering technique, the amount of sheer artistic creation involved in his follicle sweeping arrangements, I realize I am a rank amateur in the field of combover capability.
Whistledixie

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2014, 05:40:31 AM »

I have considered the combover, but whenever I'm faced with the desperate reality of Don Stroud's epic hair plastering technique, the amount of sheer artistic creation involved in his follicle sweeping arrangements, I realize I am a rank amateur in the field of combover capability.

Plus a true combover has to evolve naturally over time, growing inversely in proportion to the hair loss for which it's meant to compensate -- until reaching Giulianic levels (or being aided in the subterfuge by add-ons as with Christian Bale's character in American Hustle), at which point it must either be abandoned altogether (as Rudy did eventually, much to his benefit) or relegated to a final few defiant strands -- which is hardly a true combover at all.

Fortunately for Clint's boys they are follicly endowed, giving them time and latitude to consider playing the aforementioned role. (For the record, regarding the transplant theory mentioned on the other thread, my own view is that Clint has been dogged in his resistance to trying to hide the signs of aging, preferring instead to face it head on -- as it were.)
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2014, 12:29:13 PM »

If anything, Clint could reprise his Callahan role but considering his age could be called upon to help solve a cold case of his.  He could be possibly brought out if retirement but not necessarily needed.  Enter Scott Eastwod to play the younger Harry Callahan to tell the story of the case as it unfolded and ultimately solved by the older, now retired, Callahan.  Well, maybe Eastwood would narrate a little, explaining what's happening as Scott is playing the younger Harry.  It'd be a perfect opportunity to see who dubbed him"Dirty" Harry (much like how viewers were given insight as to how Dr. McCoy got his nickname, "Bones" in 2009's rebooted StarTrek).  This could even be a vehicle as an introduction to early partners and partners-to-be like DiGeorgio.  Something along the lines of the TV series Cold Case, of which one of it's stars was Jeremy Ratchford, who was in Unforgiven.

I've been asked this before by some of my friends should Clint do one more Dirty Harry movie?  And I've always said absolutely 100% NO.  But after reading some of everybody's responses to this topic and after reading your post Jed I think I might change my mind on this.  I personally feel like Scott would be the best choice for that role.  And having Clint in it as well with more than just a cameo appearance.  Think about it that would be an awesome way for Clint to end his acting career on.  With finally having closure to one of his most iconic roles and also acting in it with his son.  For me that would be an awesome way to end his acting career.
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2014, 08:52:59 PM »

This discussion needs to be buried.
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2014, 02:29:45 AM »

I have to agree with you Perry.  ;)
Whistledixie

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2014, 04:46:54 AM »

And one day it will be...though until then likely continues in one form or another, at least while Eastwood still works and makes it difficult to imagine Harry couldn't do the same. (Kojak was conceived as a journalist then made a cop. No reason Harry couldn't nose around and ask questions.)

After that it will only live on as the question of whether or not a reboot.

Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2014, 12:21:56 PM »

The only question Harry would be asking Dixie is " Why am I doing another Dirty Harry @ 85?" It's not happening. Eastwood unfortunately has been on a downslide with his movies the past few years and I rather see American Sniper as a good vehicle instead of a tired character that should had been put to rest 40 years ago.

OX BO
Whistledixie

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2014, 06:11:27 PM »

^ Yes, it not happening is the cold reality left to those who'd like to see it happen. Though the conversation has a finite life cycle regardless.

I don't think he should 'do another Dirty Harry' either, but would like to see what Harry is up to. What's the option, stay home and watch Shark Tank? He's already settled in to chip shots to see if his films happen to score...what difference if one is Harry Callahan? Six of one half dozen the other in my book.

The 'he's too old' argument used to put me off the idea, now I see it differently...yet left to reminisce about that which is not to be. Hashing out scenarios scratches some of the itch, but burial of the idea awaits.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 06:14:30 PM by Whistledixie » Logged
B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2014, 06:03:42 AM »

If it weren't for the possibility of Scott Eastwood playing a younger Callahan with Eastwood reprising his role to help with a cold case, then I'd be in agreement that this should be a dead issue considering Clint's age.  If I were a writer of screenplays, I'd submit the idea to Warner Bros. Studios and/or Malpaso myself.  The only other way Dirty Harry could resurface is in a cameo in another police/detective crime story film.  And we all know the likeliehood of that is slim to none. 
The Man With No Aim
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2014, 10:43:17 PM »

Many years ago today, during the publicity surrounding Unforgiven, we learned that Clint had developed a bias against promoting violence.

Another Dirty Harry or another Western could not possibly exhibit the same kind of violence that many fans lust to see again, unless Clint has now reversed his attitude and now sees violence as OK.

We would all love to see one more Harry or one more Western, but my guess is that it is absolutely impossible unless the film would strongly promote anti-violence. However a lack of the good ole thud and blunder violence would be perceived in the pitching stage as a serious box office problem.

B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2014, 05:19:10 AM »

Many years ago today, during the publicity surrounding Unforgiven, we learned that Clint had developed a bias against promoting violence.

Another Dirty Harry or another Western could not possibly exhibit the same kind of violence that many fans lust to see again, unless Clint has now reversed his attitude and now sees violence as OK.

We would all love to see one more Harry or one more Western, but my guess is that it is absolutely impossible unless the film would strongly promote anti-violence. However a lack of the good ole thud and blunder violence would be perceived in the pitching stage as a serious box office problem.

Never say never.  ;)

Well, in Hollywood, anything's possible.  What you've pointed out makes all the sense in the world and I'm inclined to agree that we've seen the last of Eastwood holding a .44 Magnum or mounting a horse.  Well, hey, we've got lots of films to look back on; 5 Dirty Harry's as well as other police-related movies and 10 western films.  There's roughly 8 seasons of Rawhide, too!  I threw in Two Mules For Sister Sara over the weekend and only had time to watch about half but like Pale Rider recently, am finding myself enjoying this western I otherwise discarded up until recently.  Funny what time can do to one's opinion.  8) 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T