News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: JERSEY BOYS: Reviews and Features in the Media  (Read 13430 times)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2014, 07:10:40 PM »

Manohla Dargis of the New York Times likes it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/20/movies/jersey-boys-eastwoods-take-on-showbiz-myth.html

“Jersey Boys” is a strange movie, and it’s a Clint Eastwood enterprise, both reasons to see it. For those with a love of doo-wop, it also provides a toe-tapping, ear-worming stroll down rock ’n’ roll memory lane that dovetails with that deeply cherished American song and dance about personal triumph over adversity through hard work, tough times and self-sacrifice. It’s a redemption narrative that’s got a good beat, and you can dance to it. No wonder it’s been such a popular trip: The stage version of “Jersey Boys” opened in 2005 on Broadway, where it’s still going strong, and has long been printing money around the world, from Australia to South Africa.

“Jersey Boys” at first seems like a curious choice for Mr. Eastwood, particularly given the heft of many of his films. And it may be that he just liked the show. It’s hard not to think that there’s something personal here, too, as suggested by the clip from “Rawhide” ... This moment could be read as a Hitchcockian cameo or as a slyly suggestive joke about what turns boys into men. Yet, like the movie’s four finally harmonious narrators and its showstopping finale, the cameo is also a reminder that this isn’t just about a group, its struggles and comeback. It’s also about an American myth of success and all the singing, the smiling and the dissembling that goes into its making.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2014, 01:13:44 AM »

I'm looking forward to seeing Jersey Boys this weekend...
From what I've read, some reviewers seem a little disappointed that the film is a little lightweight for an Eastwood project, whilst others seem to feel its a little dark compared to the play....
To my way of thinking... Eastwood loves to work and he loves to try something different each time... We all know this isn't some long cherished personal project of his... It's a job of work, something new, he's not even pretending he's a fan of the group or their music... The film had to please fans of the stage musical and maybe provide something a little more for the casual cinema goer or Eastwood fan.... As I count myself amongst all three of these I'm looking forward to seeing if it succeeds...

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2014, 08:12:12 AM »

'' Clint Eastwood jazz obsessed ''

https://ph.celebrity.yahoo.com/news/clint-eastwood-jazz-obsessed-070000366.html

Clint Eastwood was a "jazz freak" during his younger years.
The legendary actor-and-director has been talking about his musical tastes in light of his newest movie Jersey Boys, which tells the story of how the band The Four Seasons came to be.

“They asked me to do [the movie] before I knew anything about it. And I said, ‘Well, let me look at it and see,’” he recently explained to WWD. “I went and saw three different versions, in Nevada, San Francisco and here, on Broadway, and I kind of got what I thought made it tick - at least in my mind, anyways - and so I settled down to do it.

“It isn’t really a musical. You could do the story without any of it,” he added.

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2014, 09:36:51 AM »

From what I've read, some reviewers seem a little disappointed that the film is a little lightweight for an Eastwood project, whilst others seem to feel its a little dark compared to the play....
To my way of thinking... Eastwood loves to work and he loves to try something different each time... We all know this isn't some long cherished personal project of his... It's a job of work, something new, he's not even pretending he's a fan of the group or their music... The film had to please fans of the stage musical and maybe provide something a little more for the casual cinema goer or Eastwood fan.... As I count myself amongst all three of these I'm looking forward to seeing if it succeeds...

I agree with you Gant on all counts.
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2014, 10:01:53 AM »

Lucky you.
No release date for Greece yet :knuppel2:

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2014, 08:09:42 AM »

'' Clint Eastwood Treats Cast Like Family on Jersey Boys Set ''

http://www.people.com/article/clint-eastwood-francesca-jersey-boys?xid=rss-topheadlines

Cast members said they enjoyed getting to know a side of Eastwood – who brought his other daughter Alison to the film's L.A. premiere on Thursday – that most people don't get to see. "He and his daughter were great together," says Mike Doyle, who plays the band's manager. "Clint is a family man and you saw his role as a family man with his daughter and with everyone on set, who he also treated like family. He is just so cool."

Adds Joseph Russo, who plays Joe Pesci: "He was like a grandpa. He would joke with you. As an actor, he's really on your side. He becomes a friend immediately. But there is a line of professionalism he expects, too, of course."

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2014, 04:00:28 PM »

'' 'Jersey Boys' actors laud Clint Eastwood's minimalism ''

By SABA HAMEDY contact the reporter

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/moviesnow/la-et-mn-jersey-boys-actors-clint-eastwood-laff-20140620-story.html

Shooting a movie with Clint Eastwood is something even many veteran film actors don't get to do. So the cast of the new film "Jersey Boys" felt they were in a rare position — especially considering many were primarily stage performers coming in.

“Every actor wants to work with him,” John Lloyd Young, who plays the lead role of Frankie Valli, said of Eastwood at the Los Angeles Film Festival's closing-night screening of the film Thursday. “He’s a man of very few words, but the words that he shares with you have a deep impact and completely change your performance.”

higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2014, 04:06:48 PM »

'' Clint Eastwood talks about his 'Rawhide' clip in 'Jersey Boys' movie ''

Eastwood was starring in the small-screen western around the time Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons were making names for themselves.

By Karen Butler

http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_News/Movies/2014/06/15/Clint-Eastwood-talks-about-his-Rawhide-clip-in-Jersey-Boys-movie/1461402681252/

NEW YORK, June 15 (UPI) --Director-producer Clint Eastwood says he had a "Hitchcock moment" when a short clip featuring him as an actor in his Rawhide days was shown on a television set in his movie musical Jersey Boys.
The film is about real-life rock 'n' roll icons Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons, and their rise to fame in the 1950s and '60s. Eastwood's unexpected appearance in the picture occurs when band member and songwriter Bob Gaudio, played by Erich Bergen, is watching TV.

"You're talking about my Hitchcock moment," Eastwood teased a reporter who asked him about the memorable scene at a recent press conference in New York. "That was actually Erich's suggestion. We were sitting there talking about doing the scene where he is going to be sitting there, watching television, when this woman walks into the room and he said, 'I'd be sitting there watching Rawhide.' And I started thinking, 'Yeah, could be.' Because, after all, that was about the era, about the right timing. But, then, I put it out of my mind and somebody who works for me -- a woman who handles all of our television stuff -- just went ahead and did it. So, afterwards I just said, 'OK, I'll live with that.' But Hitchcock moments are distracting. He managed to disguise himself -- some of the time -- until he became a television star later on."

higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2014, 04:30:17 PM »

'' Clint Eastwood didn’t just direct “Jersey Boys” — he also gave his Frankie Valli a driving lesson.''

By Barbara Hoffman

http://nypost.com/2014/06/18/john-lloyd-young-dishes-on-bringing-jersey-boys-to-the-screen/

Like the Broadway hit it’s based on, the film chronicles the rise and fall and redemption of pop music’s Four Seasons. Not surprisingly, there’s a lot more action on-screen, including a botched burglary in which a 16-year-old Frankie — played by Tony winner John Lloyd Young — plows through a plate-glass window.

But the car Frankie was driving had a stick shift, and Young, a 38-year-old Californian who was doing some of his own stunts, had never tackled a manual transmission before.

Enter Dirty Harry.

“Very patiently, more patiently than my own father when he was teaching me how to drive, Clint and I drove around the Warner Brothers back lot,” Young tells The Post. “Clint gives actors what they need, then sets them free.”

Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2014, 02:04:53 AM »

'' Clint Eastwood talks about his 'Rawhide' clip in 'Jersey Boys' movie ''

By Karen Butler

http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_News/Movies/2014/06/15/Clint-Eastwood-talks-about-his-Rawhide-clip-in-Jersey-Boys-movie/1461402681252/

^^^  That is shame we now know where Clint makes his appearance. I would have liked not to know and would have rather this was posted in the spoiler thread.

It is fun to try to find people in the movies rather than know where to look for them.
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2014, 11:06:48 AM »

That is exactly what I think !

I would have never let you know where our dear Clint makes a small appearence ... :(

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2014, 06:36:10 PM »

Clint doesn't usually do "cameos" of any sort in his "directed only" pictures, and this certainly isn't a Hitchcock-style moment either. In fact, it is so unusual that a number of reviews and features have noted it. Indeed, it was mentioned a couple of weeks ago in the "Production Information and News" thread, here:

http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/index.php?topic=9596.msg217323#msg217323

It's interesting that the "cameo" wasn't Clint's idea, and he doesn't really seem to approve of it.

" ... So, afterwards I just said, 'OK, I'll live with that.' But Hitchcock moments are distracting. He managed to disguise himself -- some of the time -- until he became a television star later on."

Personally, I wouldn't consider this a spoiler, but I can see that angle. Probably best to avoid ALL threads relating to a new film if you don't want spoilers ... That's SK's usual method, I believe.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2014, 06:42:10 PM »

^ I've moved the above half-dozen posts here from the "Production Information and News" thread. From now on, please use the "Production Information and News" thread ONLY for box office data and release dates and similar information. This is the place to post all stories and interviews about the film itself. (And of course, reviews.)
Whistledixie

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2014, 09:20:04 PM »

Didn't see this one posted yet. Includes interesting commentary on Clint himself that touches on topics mentioned on the board...

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/dirty-harry-vs-clint-eastwood-20140620

Dirty Harry vs. Clint Eastwood

As 'Jersey Boys' hits theaters, the battle between the director and his 'make my day' screen persona butt heads once again

June 20, 2014 11:50 AM ET  There are, you could argue, two Clint Eastwoods. One is the strong, near-silent type, the man with no name but a pair of Colt revolvers or a .44 Magnum, the lean avenging angel who asks if you feel lucky, punk, and would care to make his day. Whether he's a tough cop, a tough cowboy, a tough secret-service agent, a tough military man, a tough experimental-jet-fighter pilot or a tough racist old coot, the part is a variation on Eastwood's screen persona. His status as a macho icon was cast in immovable granite early on; to many, Eastwood is still the man who wielded suggestively-long barreled guns and doled out ruthless justice to criminals and assorted thugs. He is Dirty Harry, by any other name.

Jersey Boys, Eastwood's take on the hit show about the rise and fall of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, seems at first like unfamiliar terrain, and has understandably perplexed many who have seen the words "Directed by Clint Eastwood" in ads and trailers. In truth, Eastwood the director has flirted with the genre multiple times . . . . So maybe we shouldn't be asking why "Dirty Harry" is directing a straight-up, old-fashioned musical – but rather why it's taken Clint so long to do so.

In his early years as a director, Eastwood's films consciously played to his cowboy/tough-guy image. But right from the start, they also interrogated it: High Plains Drifter (1973), the first Western he directed, could easily fit within the Man with No Name canon. But it's so relentlessly dark and brutal – the hero is virtually a rapist, and the townspeople he's "saving" a bunch of opportunistic, cowardly scum – that one finds it hard to feel any kind of satisfaction by the end of the film. The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976) starts off as a typical epic about revenge, but it builds up to a surprising finale, as, years later, Josey Wales and his nemesis part ways without firing a shot, acknowledging that the Civil War is long over. Neither of these films could really be called "revisionist Westerns," but they're clearly the work of someone who already wants to push the lonesome cowboy mythos in interesting, even unsettling ways.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 09:41:24 PM by Whistledixie » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2014, 09:38:18 PM »

^ Thanks, that's a very good piece.
Whistledixie

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2014, 09:44:38 PM »

^ Thanks, that's a very good piece.

Most welcome, I thought so, too. I think that writer could fit right in here!  :)
Macpherson

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2014, 03:52:34 PM »

A fascinating, in depth article from Richard Brody in "The New Yorker", on Clint Eastwood's "Jersey Boys", focusing on its historical context and Clint's re-creation of the past in films such as Bird, White Hunter Black Heart, Changeling and J. Edgar.
  :) :)

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/movies/2014/06/jersey-boys-and-the-lost-mainstream-of-america.html
Dan Dassow
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2014, 06:54:21 PM »

Brisbane Times
Clint Eastwood and the Jersey Boys (07:05)
http://media.brisbanetimes.com.au/entertainment/inside-entertainment/clint-eastwood-and-the-jersey-boys-5543832.html
Video Interview

He's survived six tough decades in the movie industry, and now he's adapted a stage musical - Clint Eastwood talks to Donna Demaio.

This is an enjoyable and breezy interview. It's obvious that Donna Demaio is a fan of Clint Eastwood.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2014, 03:26:10 AM »

Great interview.. Really enjoyed that... :)

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2014, 07:58:49 PM »

'' Warren Italian-American Heritage Festival begins Thursday in Courthouse Square ''

http://www.vindy.com/news/2014/aug/05/warren-italian-festival-will-mark-its-th/#sthash.qRllgy4W.dpuf

The timing is right for a Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons tribute band to perform in Courthouse Square.

The tribute band Lights Out will perform shows at this week’s Warren Italian-American Heritage Festival on Courthouse Square at 9:45 p.m. Saturday and 8 p.m. Sunday.

The timing is good because of last month’s release of the Clint Eastwood movie “Jersey Boys,” which is about Valli and the band, which had its first megahit, “Sherry,” in 1962, closely followed by “Big Girls Don’t Cry.” In 1963, they scored big hits with “Walk Like a Man,” and “Ain’t That a Shame.”

Phil Sidoti, vice president of Warren’s 2014 festival, its 30th, said Lights Out is “excellent,” adding, “You close your eyes and you think they’re Frankie Valli.”

'' Eastwood movie to top Banff bill ''

http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/Whats-On/Film/Eastwood-movie-to-top-Banff-bill-04082014.htm

BANFF Cinema, which brings the latest film releases to the town's Harvest Centre, will have Clint Eastwood's Jersey Boys (15) as its main feature on Monday.

The movie tells the story of iconic American music legends Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, with the screening starting at 7.30pm.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T