News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Any intended mystery in Magnum Force?  (Read 2708 times)
herofan

View Profile Email
« on: October 24, 2014, 04:00:30 PM »

Was there anything in MForce that was intended to create any doubt among viewers that  the rookie cops were the killers, or was it normal to assume they were from the start; I believe I assumed it was them from the start.  Was the mystery supposed to be wondering if McCoy was part of the team, or were we supposed to think he might be the sole killer and then become totally shocked when we learned he wasn't involved at all but that Lt. Briggs was the leader? 

In other words, how did the movie makers intend for those elements to play out?
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 05:12:48 PM »

Actually, I always thought it was Carol McCoy who was behind the killings. Charlie was cheating on her and Harry Spurned her advances...Makes logical sense....
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 06:15:56 PM »

Perry, sometimes you are too much! :D
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 03:51:28 PM »

I'm serious....... >:D...ha
The Man With No Aim
Member Extraordinaire

"There are two kinds of men in this world"

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 12:55:49 AM »

Was there anything in MForce that was intended to create any doubt among viewers that  the rookie cops were the killers, or was it normal to assume they were from the start; I believe I assumed it was them from the start.  Was the mystery supposed to be wondering if McCoy was part of the team, or were we supposed to think he might be the sole killer and then become totally shocked when we learned he wasn't involved at all but that Lt. Briggs was the leader? 

In other words, how did the movie makers intend for those elements to play out?

I was slow to catch on.  I didn't know who it was until I began to suspect McCoy, then strongly suspect McCoy. It was a great surprise when he got demised and the killing continued. The rookies and Briggs came out of nowhere for me.

My guess is that I experienced the intended effect of the movie.

And I found it to be a very enjoyable movie because of that.

"In all the excitement I lost count myself'
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 04:07:58 PM »

Speaking of Carol McCoy, the actress who played her (Christine White) passed away last year. She played William Shatner's wife in that classic episode ' Nightmare At 20,000 feet'....
herofan

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 10:05:59 AM »

I was slow to catch on.  I didn't know who it was until I began to suspect McCoy, then strongly suspect McCoy. It was a great surprise when he got demised and the killing continued. The rookies and Briggs came out of nowhere for me.

My guess is that I experienced the intended effect of the movie.

And I found it to be a very enjoyable movie because of that.

Maybe it takes a more mature mind to suspect a plot twist.  I was young back in the 70s, and when i saw a motorcycle cop was doing the killings, and then a rookie group of motorcycle cops were introduced, that did it for me, I thought they were the obvious killers.  I remember when David Soul removed his helmet and revealed himself, I was not shocked.  I also assumed the whole group was involved.   I guess I looked at it like a Columbo type thing; we know the killer(even though it wasn't shown at first) and we have to see if the good guy can solve it.   I'm not claiming any superior knowledge here, but perhaps my  young brain just went for the obvious.

I've even read where one might suspect harry was involved.  The Lt. made a point to say the first group was killed with a magnum.  I never suspected Harry.
The Man With No Aim
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 09:43:52 PM »

Maybe it takes a more mature mind to suspect a plot twist.  I was young back in the 70s, and when i saw a motorcycle cop was doing the killings, and then a rookie group of motorcycle cops were introduced, that did it for me, I thought they were the obvious killers.

LOL!

I first watched the film when I bought it out of a bargain bin 2 years ago. I am now a ripe old 72.

Describe for me, your superior mature mind.

Manwith

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 11:02:08 PM »

I think Herofan meant to suggest that TMWNA was the one with the "more mature mind," since he, himself, never suspected a "twist." ;)
herofan

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 06:35:59 PM »

I think Herofan meant to suggest that TMWNA was the one with the "more mature mind," since he, himself, never suspected a "twist." ;)

Yes, that is exactly what I meant.  I certainly didn't mean to imply I was smarter than someone who suspected a plot twist, but just the opposite due to my youth when I first saw it.
The Man With No Aim
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 11:10:51 PM »

Herofan, it's all good!

We each enjoyed the film, with our own individual points of view.

Your point of view is very valid.

And, for me, mine is too.

That is the human condition. 

Kindest Regards
Manwith

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T