News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Train Trestle........  (Read 40361 times)
Blu

Would you like some of Bill Carson's tobacco too ?

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2003, 03:02:54 PM »

;)  Yes Gary.  We have determined that.  That's why I'm presently trying to salvage a piece of it --for old time's sake.   8)

-Blu

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's rainin'[/b]...."
Blu

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2003, 03:20:28 PM »

....I'm still in touch with the salvage yard guy.   I will talk to him again in about a week, when he gets back.   8)

-Blu

bdc28
Classic Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2003, 06:40:02 AM »

Blu,

Sorry Ive been gone, count me in. :)

Just let me know what you need.

"I once shot an elephant in my pajamas. What he was doing wearing my pajamas I have no idea..."
Blu

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2003, 07:36:27 PM »

.....I'm going to call the salvage guy again shortly.  However, I'm still trying to determine the exact length of rail Clint was standing over.  The roadbed was expanded over the years from 2 to 5 lanes.  As well, the topography/grading of the hill that the trestle emerges from was altered since the '70's.   It might seem like a simple problem, but it's actually quite hard to tell exactly where the original two lanes were by watching  the film, which I plan to study again tonight.  If my second viewing doesn't yield a definite answer,  I may have to visit an archive at CALTRANS (Calif. Dept. of Trans.)  to view some records on microfilm.  The City of Larkspur and Marin County Public Works apparently don't have any definite records (or memory) of the roadwork.   A guy I talked to at Larkspur Public Works seems to think it's lane #1, but I think it may have been #2, or possibly #3.

....Hopefully, a little more study will yield the answer.  8)

-Blu  
« Last Edit: September 11, 2003, 07:39:10 PM by Blu » Logged

ac-referman

Email
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2003, 09:44:39 PM »

Well folks, it's finally going to happen.  They are going to spend about a week, starting on Monday night, Aug. 4, demolishing the train trestle used by Clint near the end of Dirty Harry.  It was recently struck and destabilized by a fool driving a crane underneath it.  Unfortunately for him and the trestle --and Dirty Harry fans everywhere -- the crane was about a foot too high to pass safely underneath.  The trestle was reinforced with several support beams by the Larkspur Public Works dept., but city engineers have now deemed it unrepairable and an "imminent danger to the public".   Here is an online version of the article from the  Marin Independent Journal .  Copy and Paste this:
                                                                                           marinij.com/Stories/0,1413,234~24407~1548485,00.html

I shot several rolls of film (both color and black & white) of the trestle many months ago, in anticipation of this finally happening (hey, somebody had to do it).   So, at least there will still be pictures of it available.     As well, I was thinking of having one my B&W shots done in sepiatone and perhaps offering it on the website for a nominal charge to cover the costs of reproducing it --if anyone is interested.  The trestle dates from the 1880's and was part of the old Northwest Pacific Railroad.

On another note, it now remains to be known if the part used by Clint in Dirty Harry can or will be salvaged by anyone.  If they could cut out the part and set it aside , I suppose someone could go down there and save it.   But then, what to do with it ??  Send it to Malpaso for posterity/ historical preservation??  Cut it up and auction off the pieces on EBay (or even this website) for charity ??  Or should anyone bother ??  I can look into it personally, if anyone expresses some interest.  But we have to act  fast --Time is running out.

-Blu  
:'(I realy enjoyed driving under that bridge and thinking how clint was there making that sceen,
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2003, 11:42:01 PM »

Thanks for sticking with this Blu.

Philo .

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
Blu

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2003, 06:37:41 PM »

.....No problem Philo.  I talked today to another guy who now owns the building  that sits just after where the trestle stood.  He said he worked there in the late seventies  when the roadwork was done and is confident that just one lane was added to the south end of it. This would make the section in question the part that ran over lane #2.  I'm going down there one more time to check a camera angle.  Hopefully this will settle it.

As well, I left a message with the salvage man  today, so I should be getting a call from him shortly.  Hopefully, I can go get the piece in question in a few days --possibly tomorrow..... Blu

P.S.  Philo and Vik, it would be helpful if you could determine the maximum weight of a piece of track that you wouldn't mind having shipped (from S.F. Bay Area).   I weighed a piece of heavy gage rail today, and it came in at about 2lbs. per inch.   Assuming the same gage rail, a 6" piece would be about 12lbs., a 4" piece, about 8lbs., etc.  I was thinking of having  it cut into 6" pieces, but shipping expenses for you will determine it.    
« Last Edit: September 12, 2003, 07:19:02 PM by Blu » Logged

D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2003, 11:22:19 PM »

Blu, I'm in....

You know that!

;D
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2003, 12:44:03 AM »

gee they built em good in them days

thanks sleuth Blu - great work

umm i would like 6" or 4" piece of track if thats possible and as you say depends on price of postage - i think there is sea mail so does anyone know where i can get a price???

- thanks again Blu

england -  its flag the St George flag
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2003, 02:45:15 AM »

Same for me Blu ,

Whatever size you choose and surface mail will be the way for it to go.

Philo .

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2003, 06:41:57 AM »

Vik, according to the US Postal Service website, it would cost $30.70 to ship a 12 pound package to Australia, or $25.40 for an 8 pound package. (without insurance), and it would take 4 to 6 weeks. And did you know that it is prohibited to ship used bedding Down Under?  :o

For Philo, oddly, it's more expensive ... $36.15 for 12 pounds, $29.00 for 8. Same 4-6 weeks estimated shipping time.
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2003, 09:20:36 AM »

oooh - wonder what bedding they are talking about    :-\
perhaps it's plant stuff

or perhaps it 's others countries bedbugs - of course aussie bedbugs will be sporty and good swimmers with a good tan  ;D

thanks for the info. KC your a wonder  
« Last Edit: September 13, 2003, 09:36:17 AM by vik » Logged

philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2003, 12:17:22 PM »

Hi KC ,

It doesn't surprise me ....

We get shafted on everything in this country    >:(

Philo .  

Blu

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2003, 07:10:27 PM »

O.K. D'Amb.  I checked the camera angle,  looking back west from lane #2 today, and this does appear to be the one ....
       So, at this point, I need a tally of the total number of orders and the respective lengths you want shipped, your names & addresses.  I assume "ground"  service for you, Philo and Vik, means by sea....I believe RPS ground is the cheapest service in the U.S., next to UPS ground KC, D'amb, Stranger, Brendan,BDC28, etc.
       Remember, the cost to cut each piece will probably be around $10.  I'll try to get a signed 'letter of authenticity' for copying  from Mark P., the guy at the salvage yard.

.....My e-mail is Blunova77@aol.com.

-Blu
« Last Edit: September 13, 2003, 07:27:12 PM by Blu » Logged

philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2003, 07:26:02 PM »

Thanks Blu ,

Just to let you know that Stranger is also in the UK .

Philo .

philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2003, 07:29:21 PM »

Just sent you an email ....

Philo .

vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2003, 12:36:03 AM »

since Philo sent you an email i sent you one to  and please don't send it on the titantic - salvage work is so expensive   ;D
« Last Edit: September 14, 2003, 12:41:09 AM by vik » Logged

Blu

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2003, 04:44:42 PM »

.....No icebergs on this route Vik !  
I talked to Mark P. today.  He said he can set aside the piece in question for us.  However, he is busy with his vineyards right now --harvest time I suppose.    Apparently, he only runs his salvage business in between production of merlots and zinfandels...He told me to call him in a couple of weeks if he hasn't called me.

-Blu.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2003, 05:05:44 PM by Blu » Logged

Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2003, 07:36:55 AM »

Hi Blu and all the other train trestle collecters, ;D

tell me guys and girls, what do you think would be a tasteful or meaningful way to display this classical piece of 'Dirty Harry' memorabilia?

And Blu, have you started cutting and shipping yet?

WKC.

philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2003, 09:56:27 AM »

That is a question I have been thinking about for a couple of weeks.

I know where mine is going but not sure how it will be seen.

Philo .

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T