News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Clint on a new Dirty Harry  (Read 13880 times)
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: October 12, 2003, 09:32:00 AM »

From the 'Miami Herald' article (posted by Matt).

Clint:  "Believe me, there are a lot of people who have said to me, "Why don't you do another Dirty Harry?" But someone would have to write a brilliant script about an older guy who used to be Dirty Harry when he was on the police force, because I can't go back and just play that guy again."

I think this is the defining statement folks.  Clint WOULD do another Dirty Harry IF the script was 'brilliant'.  Get to it, you scribes!

WKC.

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2003, 09:48:13 AM »

Well, he also said:

I can't do sequels at my age.

See THIS thread for the complete article.
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2003, 09:53:00 AM »

Well, he also said:  I can't do sequels at my age.

Yes Matt,

BUT, that has to be read in context.  I feel that the general gist of his comments was that he felt negative about the 'typical' kind of sequels, but that he would do them IF (and I know it's a BIG if)... the script offered to him was exceptional.

What do you think?

WKC.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2003, 09:55:09 AM by wkc » Logged

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2003, 09:57:04 AM »

Well, my take on it is that it was more of a pacifying statement to the "we want another Dirty Harry" crowd.  He comes short of saying "I'll never do that role again," but to me... the same general feeling was there. I don't see that he has any interest at all in playing that character again. But, he knows the public wants it, so he's getting off the hook with the 'it's gotta be brilliant' statement. If a brilliant script for a Harry sequel came along would he do it? I really doubt it. I think he'd rather move on, and he has.
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2003, 10:05:40 AM »

Well, my take on it is that it was more of a pacifying statement to the "we want another Dirty Harry" crowd....   he knows the public wants it, so he's getting off the hook with the 'it's gotta be brilliant' statement. If a brilliant script for a Harry sequel came along would he do it? I really doubt it

MATT!!! ;D  That would be the equivalent of sadistic torture to some of us ;)  I have to agree with you that it is one of the most UNLIKELY things in moviedom to ever happen, but I think it is possible.....   IF..... somebody writes that Academy Award Winning script.  If not.... then I wouldn't want to see it happen either :-[

WKC.

Jake

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2003, 11:42:58 AM »

I think he'd rather move on, and he has.

I think that's more a desire of critics than it is of Eastwood.

Another Harry is certainly unlikely, but why should Eastwood turn one down if it really was a brilliant script?  If he thought it entertaining, what would be the point in ignoring it?  After all, he did Space Cowboys and Blood Work, and they were hardly 'brilliant scripts'.

I think his high standards for doing a Harry sequel has more to do with the sheer number of poor ones he has been pitched over the years.  He obviously loves the character, and doesn't want to subject Harry Callahan to another case like the Dead Pool.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2003, 12:34:35 PM »

I think that's more a desire of critics than it is of Eastwood.

Well, I know he's said it before in interviews. Here's an excerpt from an interview with James Verniere that was done ten years ago, originally published in Sight and Sound, September 1993, reprinted in Clint Eastwood: Interviews:

Is Dirty Harry defunct? Do you have any plans for another film?

No, no plans at all. Sequels were OK at one time in my life, but now I feel that if I do a film, and it feels right to me, maybe it should then be left alone.

Then it's not the audiences, but you who have outgrown Dirty Harry.

I think so. As the years go by I'm attracted to subjects that are a little different from the ones I was attracted to 30 years ago. I don't know where I'd take Harry any more. I could change him philosophically, but that's what Frank Horrigan is.

This last part is interesting to me, because I was going to add in my previous post that if Clint DID come across a script for another Dirty Harry film, that I wonder if he'd even keep it a Dirty Harry and not just change it around to being a fresh character that he hasn't already played five times. Thinking along those lines, if he really wanted to do a final Dirty Harry, Blood Work could have been that, with only a few very slight revisions needed.

I think the desire for another Dirty Harry rests solely in the hands of only a few fans (probably half of us die-hard Eastwood fans would cringe at the prospect of adding a Dirty Harry sequel with Clint already at the age of 73 and it not even being in the works yet)  and isn't something that Eastwood seems to want to do.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2003, 12:51:42 PM by Matt » Logged
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2003, 12:46:52 PM »

To back up my claim that only half of die-hard Eastwood fans would even want to see another Dirty Harry... check out this poll that was started here a few months ago:

Are you for another Dirty Harry

10 in favor, 11 against

But those who want it, must really, really want it. It'll probably still be brought up for discussion ten years from now.  ::)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2003, 12:48:24 PM by Matt » Logged
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2003, 01:33:32 PM »

I don't want another one. Its run its course, and how could you make another Harry movie with-out making it cliched?

Old man comes out of retirement to stop a killer from his past. Or the same thing, but its a new killer.

Its been done before, heck he did with Blood Work!!
Blu

Would you like some of Bill Carson's tobacco too ?

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2003, 01:35:16 PM »

From the 'Miami Herald' article (posted by Matt).

Clint:  "Believe me, there are a lot of people who have said to me, "Why don't you do another Dirty Harry?" But someone would have to write a brilliant script about an older guy who used to be Dirty Harry when he was on the police force, because I can't go back and just play that guy again."

....Yes, Clint also said on a late show, (I believe it was Jay Leno) that it would depend on 'where you could take the character'...but then he added something about taking him to 'nice quiet beach somewhere'...
...I dont' know if anyone remembers my script, but I took him to a place of at least partial psychological damage, with some PTSD/flashbacks/demons emerging (perhaps he has something of a drinking problem now) from having witnessed/ been a party to so much violence in his years on the force.  This would not be to say he changes his philosophy on crime, but just that he is perhaps at a point where he wants or needs some healing as well, after all this time.   Without taking him into a therapist's office, this much development may be within the scope of the character.

I suppose you could say, there might be a little bit of Mitchell Gant in him now.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2003, 02:00:23 PM by Blu » Logged

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's rainin'[/b]...."
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2003, 05:30:41 AM »

if Clint DID come across a script for another Dirty Harry film, that I wonder if he'd even keep it a Dirty Harry and not just change it around to being a fresh character that he hasn't already played five times.
Maybe, but then again, maybe he has a secret desire to take Harry out on a high note...  (he he, yes I know what you're thinking...)
Thinking along those lines, if he really wanted to do a final Dirty Harry, Blood Work could have been that, with only a few very slight revisions needed.
Thank GOD :o he didn't choose the 'Blood Work' script for Harry's grand farewell.  That would have been tragic and cruel.
To back up my claim that only half of die-hard Eastwood fans would even want to see another Dirty Harry... check out this poll that was started here a few months ago:

Are you for another Dirty Harry

10 in favor, 11 against
Yeh,  I respect the people who are against, in fact I have mixed emotions about the idea, but this is HARRY we are talking about, and I am a hopeless sentimentalist.  I say 'never say never'.  To Old you all say!!!  This is Harry Callaghan we are talking about.  I reckon a pissed of 70 year old Harry would be a lot scarier than a lot of other younger movie actors/characters out there.
But those who want it, must really, really want it. It'll probably still be brought up for discussion ten years from now.  ::)
Heh heh, I think I will really enjoy that discussion ;)

WKC.

Jake

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2003, 11:56:19 AM »

Yes, but Clint has also changed his tune over the years, so you can't really go by something he said 10 years ago.  Remember, at the time he was a critic's darling- he couldn't really go from winning an Oscar to saying, "Next, I'd like to do another action sequel."

But I still can't think of what Eastwood would gain by refusing to do one last Dirty Harry film if it had a brilliant script.  Why would he- or the fans- rather him go out with a film like Blood Work, as opposed to something that could be both a critical and commercial high note?

This all goes back to the unspoken belief that Clint should only do serious-minded fare these days- even though his work in recent years has been as uneven as ever.  I just can't imagine Eastwood thinking himself above a character or choosing a project based on what he thinks the critics' would like him to do.

If we really need to seek support for the fans' wanting a sequel, perhaps we should go beyond the confines of our message board.  I can think of no other actor who is more routinely asked if he will revisit a popular role- despite advancing age or what country he happens to find himself- other than Eastwood and his infamous Harry Callahan.
Jake

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2003, 12:13:21 PM »

Its been done before, heck he did with Blood Work!!

Eastwood has done this theme several times in his career, and a few rumours (however lightly they can be taken) have him considering doing it again in a western.  In other words, he's a storyteller- one that doesn't always try to reinvent the wheel.

But the biggest obstacle to another Dirty Harry film, in my opinion, is exactly what you suggested.  Eastwood chooses most of his films these days based on the character.  The trouble with Harry is that you can't really change him or you likely turn the whole film into a cliche.  But everything else has already changed so drastically that you really wouldn't need to change Harry to create a little drama.   :o
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2003, 01:01:40 PM »

I think that if someone came up with an unbeatably brilliant Dirty Harry script that somehow managed to totally update all the Dirty Harry themes whilst also dealing with a 70 plus year old Harry but still satisfied the action hardcore Harry fans then Eastwood would do it.

So in other words... it ain't gonna happen.

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
the stranger

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2003, 05:00:41 PM »

If he turns out stunning material such as Mystic River why would he ever want to return to Dirty Harry, face it people, it isn't gonna happen. I think the man is wise enough to know he has delivered a minor classic with MR, why would he ever do an 180% turn, and walk away from the possibilities of producing such beautiful examples of filmmaking?
He's 74 in 7 months for Christ's sake ???
The one thing I think I can say about the man, is that he is a realist, and I certainly don't think he would make himself look a complete joke, stepping down from the step marked "great director" to the step marked "ridiculous parody", you have to give the guy some credit.. surely?
-Stranger-
« Last Edit: October 13, 2003, 05:02:16 PM by the stranger » Logged

When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2003, 05:09:43 PM »

I feel that with such a great first film that even the good next two started to close the saga.

I never get tired of watching Dirty Harry and every film that came after it only made it better.

I am so glad that we have Dirty Harry we don't really need anything new.

Philo .  

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2003, 11:14:40 PM »

Totaly in agreement.
Mystic River is getting such fantastic reviews and I reckon is deservedly gonna do very well. Clint is back in the public eye for all the right reasons. Yet again he's made exactly the right career choice at just the right time.
He wont blow it.. we don't need another Rookie.... ;)

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2003, 11:33:21 PM »

All I'm gettin' is a white box with a little red cross inside.. Why is that ?

Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2003, 11:37:07 PM »

That blows. Oh well nevermind then.
Jake

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2003, 10:35:08 AM »

I think we all realize how unlikely another sequel is, but let's remember that fans open to the idea aren't expecting to see Eastwood hopping rooftops at 74!    :o

The argument is not one that he should do it, but one that questions why it should be viewed artistically as an 180 degree turn from something like MR.  If- and I realize this will never happen, but then Arnold IS the head of California, so stranger things have happened- Clint had the chance to make a final film that was every bit a 'minor classic of filmmaking' ala MR, why should he not entertain it?

Again, this is nothing more than the kind of speculation fans tend to throw out on message boards.  No one is suggesting another film where Harry is running around spitting out one-liners every other scene.

In the end, however, Harry will still have the last laugh.  No matter what the rest of Eastwood's career may hold, the headline will still read, "Eastwood, the star of Dirty Harry...", if he ever decides to call it a day.   :P
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T