News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: HEARTBREAK RIDGE: Audience Reaction 1: Your Overall Feeling  (Read 22744 times)
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: March 31, 2004, 11:15:10 PM »

What is your overall feeling about this film? How would you rate it in comparison to the rest of Eastwood's films?  
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2004, 03:02:06 PM »

I've always enjoyed Heartbreak Ridge just becuase it was a differant type of performance from Clint and it was a type of flim he hadn't done in awhile. Also all the one liners he kept giving off were great.  ;D It was just an all around good, enjoyable flick.  8)
allycat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2004, 07:34:53 AM »

As I said before, when I see Clint's performance here I also think of him in Unforgiven - two characters who are at a similar time of life, both considered 'past it' although Gunny is more confident in his job, they are both flawed and have their insecurities - Gunny in his personal life and Munny in his inability to fire a gun (and the fact that guns in Unforgiven are equated with men's genitalia means he is impotent in more ways than one). Perhaps it is ironic, then, following this metaphor, that Gunny is so confident and adept at firing a weapon, but he can't get his personal life together and resorts to reading women's magazines to try and understand his ex-wife.

Heartbreak Ridge is one of my favourite Clint films because I love Clint's acting, his gruff masculinity in this film, the dialogue is extremely witty (although it always is in Clint's films) and the subject matter is extremely interesting. I've always said that I love the fact that Clint has done such a wide variety of films and chosen such interesting acting roles. Each film is like a progression from the last I feel. And so often his characters are flawed, therefore more human and that's why we relate to them so well.  

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2004, 08:43:31 AM »

i saw it at leicester square and it was pretty full and the audience were laughing being entertained

i think that overall it is a good fun movie

its a modern military movie which is also good - no big heroics
« Last Edit: April 15, 2004, 08:44:10 AM by vik » Logged

england -  its flag the St George flag
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2004, 01:43:38 PM »

Heartbreak Ridge is one of my favourite Clint films because I love Clint's acting, his gruff masculinity in this film, the dialogue is extremely witty (although it always is in Clint's films) and the subject matter is extremely interesting. I've always said that I love the fact that Clint has done such a wide variety of films and chosen such interesting acting roles. Each film is like a progression from the last I feel. And so often his characters are flawed, therefore more human and that's why we relate to them so well.  

When I first saw Heartbreak Ridge, for some reason something new hit me about Eastwood.  I think it was the first time that I realized that this man was an actor, a director, an artist........he wasn't just some super hero like "Dirty Harry" or "Manco/Blondie/Joe".  If I saw his movies in the order in which they came out, I should have first recognized this in Tightrope so I'm thinking that I must have seen Heartbreak Ridge first and that's why it continues to stand out in my mind.  And, I found a new respect for Eastwood as an actor because he was willing to discard his superhero image and become a character filled with insecurities and vulnerabilities.  I thought that was brave of him to do at that point in his career.  I know......he also did that in Tightrope but, as I explained above, I must have seen it after "Heartbreak."

Yes, as Ally said above, Eastwood's career has been built around the diversity of his films and is probably why he continues to be an icon today.  
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2004, 07:54:46 PM »

One of his better 'light' films.

Good fun, lots of laughs.  Classic opening scene.

WKC.

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2004, 08:58:46 PM »

I can compare the way I feel about Heartbreak Ridge to The Gauntlet. In fact, the two films feel very similar to me in ways. I'd watched them both several times before finding anything enjoyable about them because I was so thrown off by how unrealistic they both were that I couldn't enjoy the best part of the films... the changing relationships between the characters.

Neither The Gauntlet nor Heartbreak Ridge are in my top 20 Eastwood favorites because I like movies that could happen. I have a difficult time watching any movie where I'm sitting there rolling my eyes at how factually inaccurate or how ridiculously over-the-top some things are just for the sake of humor (unless it's a mindless comedy that's strictly for laughs). Heartbreak Ridge bothers me more than The Gauntlet because, as I said in another thread, the inaccuracies of this film are at the expense of the respect for my country's servicemen (who, as anyone could probably tell, I feel deep respect and gratitude toward).  In order for me to learn to enjoy The Gauntlet, I had to make a determined effort to look past the things that bothered me about the film to find the better part of the story and when I did that, I felt a deeper appreciation for the film. Similarly, I've done that again with Heartbreak Ridge, though I'll never shed all of my resentment about the way the Marines are portrayed, but... I'll just try to look past that. ;)

What I love about The Gauntlet and Heartbreak Ridge are the relationships... starting out as volatile and vengeful, and ending up being those of mutual respect and admiration (in The Gauntlet it's between Ben and Gus, in Heartbreak Ridge you'll see this between Gunny and his entire Recon platoon and to some degree with Aggie.)

By the end of each of these two films, Clint's character has come to the end of the road...  and he finds a contentment and happiness that comes with that due to the love of a woman who we can imagine him settling down with. In both films, he starts out lost and winds up found. His self-destructive tendencies seem to ebb with the contentment that he's found with the woman he loves. In both films, the woman, in a sense, is his savior.

Looks like I went off on a tangent. Not the first time. ;)  But, I just find it interesting that these two films have some of these same qualities, and that in both cases I had to dig hard to find things about the films that I could enjoy.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2004, 09:08:28 PM by Matt » Logged
dane with no name
Member Extraordinaire

I dont think it's nice you're laughing...

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2004, 04:30:41 PM »

It´s a very light movie, especially when you compare the elements the movie has to other movies with a similar setting. The highway character is a mix of the sgt. Hulka character (from the army comedy Stripes (i think it´s called) with bill murray and harold ramis and sgt. hartman from full metal jacket (which came out a year later) It´s pretty clear that clint enjoys playing Highway and wants us to sit back and get some laughs (which explains the overly "comic" stitch jones and some of the profile scenes) watch some action, and maybe have a few thoughts on the issues about the army and war (the overall feling of aggie and roy, and the death of profile.)    
1936ireckonso

Willow weep for me.

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2004, 05:27:28 PM »

:)
  I love this movie..I served three years in the Marines ..they were good for me...I have this on DVD and watch it about every three months....I think it is a great message about team work....and about how some people have to learn to show respect to older folks....

Respectfully,

DOUG OF DUBLIN, OHIO-USA
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2004, 05:43:04 AM »

matt you haven't said which bit you actually don't like in heartbreak ridge - is it recon platoon you don't like? they are not acting like real marines?

because i don't get your dislike of the film - how many war films are a true depiction

are you saying heartbreak ridge was suppose to be a true depiction?

just asking  

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2004, 06:13:55 AM »

matt you haven't said which bit you actually don't like in heartbreak ridge - is it recon platoon you don't like? they are not acting like real marines?

because i don't get your dislike of the film - how many war films are a true depiction

are you saying heartbreak ridge was suppose to be a true depiction?

just asking  

vik, the recon platoon is so ridiculously not even CLOSE to being a true depiction of recon Marines. I haven't wanted to litter every thread with what I dislike about it, and have commented on many things I did like about this film, but if you want to read in greater detail why I feel this way, see my posts in THIS thread.
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2004, 06:57:38 AM »

so a few folk took it seriously

war films rarely are true depiction - look at pearl harbour with ben affleck thats truely absurd

i take your point matt - but i think the marines etc. it all was an over-reaction to a good movie
« Last Edit: May 09, 2004, 07:00:00 AM by vik » Logged

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2004, 06:59:27 AM »

It's not the language at all, and it's not really the humor, it's the fact that the humor is at the expense of the respect for U.S. Marines, who I admire for their bravery and service to this country. The Recon Marines in this film are lazy, unintelligent, untrained, disrespectful, spoiled brats. As bdc28 and I said in the other thread, it's virtually impossible for Recon Marines to be any of these things. And Lt. Ring is just pathetic. None of these men would even BE recon Marines unless they were skilled, intelligent and extremely physically fit. Did you look at the link in the other thread that showed the requirements Marines need before applying for the reconnaissance unit? That should answer your question as to what "bit is not so like marines".  EVERYTHING THEY DO.  When you keep in mind that Recon Marines are, as we said in the other thread, the most elite unit of the best trained branch of the entire U.S. military, depicting the men this way is an insult to the men who serve our country.

Let me try to put it another way....  you love and admire Clint Eastwood. How would you like to go see a film that shows him to be lazy, stupid, disrespectful to his friends and those he works with, cowardly, and spoiled ... all for the sake of a few laughs? Would you enjoy it? But it's a comedy! Aren't there other films out there based on people's lives that aren't accurate portrayals? So why not like this one? To me, it's no different.
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2004, 07:02:05 AM »

but i don't thinks its a true comedy

there are other themes like reckonso said - respect etc.

isn't it just an over emphasis like many films - to make a point

if there was a film about clint like that i WOULDN'T SEE IT
and if i did see it then i would know it wasn't so but i don't think it would freak me out

and perhaps clint is like that  ;D
i expect mike moore has a film in the pipeline :-X
« Last Edit: May 09, 2004, 07:08:13 AM by vik » Logged

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2004, 07:08:35 AM »

but i don't thinks its a true comedy

That makes it even harder to take.

there are other themes like reckonso said - respect etc.

Learning respect... yes, nice theme. But the disrespect shown in this film by a group of a Recon platoon soldiers toward their CO would never be there in the first place. Once again, think of it in terms of someone you really admire, like Clint. Would you think the theme of the film would be that great if Clint learned respect for his friends and co-workers at the end of the film? I imagine you'd feel about that film the way I feel about this one. It was never there to begin with, so the whole movie would be an insult to him.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2004, 07:09:26 AM by Matt » Logged
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2004, 07:12:11 AM »

umm i'm lost now

the job of highway was to get a group of guys into fighting marines - he did that

just with a bit of over emphasis

but i do understand your point of view and appreciate what you have said i agree i never saw it as disrespectful you have said perhaps it is fair enough

i never went and saw the patriot because they said it was disrespectful to the british
« Last Edit: May 09, 2004, 07:23:10 AM by vik » Logged

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2004, 07:24:10 AM »

Recon Marines are already fighting Marines before they even are selected for a Recon unit. What we see in this film is more along the lines of basic infantry training. So, it's not only impossible that the platoon would be this inept to begin with, but the attitudes of the men are simply completely unrealistic in an insulting way.
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2004, 07:27:16 AM »

so did clint not see it a disrespectful or did he use the wrong platoon or concept then?

btw who was cowardly and spoiled?

i saw disrespect
« Last Edit: May 09, 2004, 07:29:46 AM by vik » Logged

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2004, 07:47:03 AM »

I don't know what Clint thought, but I do know that the film was supposed to be an Army film, and when the Army wouldn't give their support, they decided to make it a film about Marines, and then the Marines pulled their support too. I think that says a lot.

I think this film would have worked better if it was set during a period when there was a draft. Then we could have a group of men who never wanted to be in the service at all and the insolence they display would be more fitting. But since there was no draft for Grenada, they couldn't have been able to whisk in and out of war in two days like they do in this film.

btw who was cowardly and spoiled?

i saw disrespect

The entire platoon. They were spoiled by their previous CO who went "R.O.A.D. on them" by letting the platoon get lazy. So when Gunny comes along, rather than obey him, they thought they'd overpower him and bully him into leaving them alone. I call that spoiled.  As for being cowardly, would you call any of them brave at the start of the film? I see bravado, not bravery.
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2004, 08:01:47 AM »

they didn't say they didn't want to be there - they just said they didn't want to do anything and i don't think they were cowards or spoiled as such

all it showed was our gunny highway was a hero and a great marine and a great guy and the rest was a rabble
and highway made them marines - i presume that was his job and he did it

seems plausible to me

i think if he did draft then you would be looking at kelley's heroes - i expect he wanted it more modern

perhaps it should have been the basic army rather than marines your recon comment was right
« Last Edit: May 09, 2004, 08:07:19 AM by vik » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T