News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Discussion: What are your personal favorite top 2 Clint Easwood films?  (Read 16683 times)
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: August 13, 2015, 12:43:43 PM »

I have a query for everybody.  Clint Eastwood has entertained us repeatedly over the years with some fantastic motion pictures.  We have been entertained with great movies for decades, very good ones and some not so good.  He has quite an impressive body of film work to his credit unlike any other in the industry. 

That being said, my question is this:  If you were to pick your all time top 2 favorite Clint Eastwood movies, which 2 would they be?  I don’t believe this has been brought up here before, but I could be mistaken.  I do know there’s been many other lists and polls, such as top ten lists and favorite westerns, Dirty Harry movie(s), etc.  So, I’m hoping that I am bringing something new to the forum.  This particular thought came to me recently and it took me all of two seconds to come up with my answer.  I’m going to wait a little while before I share mine because I’m more interested in what your picks are.

We all have our favorites, our likes and dislikes and that’s great.  This is not meant to be a debate in any way, shape or form.  What one may like, another may dislike but that’s okay.  I’m curious to know whether or not this will spark some interest and discussion.  I’d love to know what everyone’s thoughts are.  It can be a great topic to share thoughts with one another and even, hopefully, have some fun with.

So, weigh in and let everyone know what your top 2 Clint Eastwood films are and why.  Feel free to share when you had seen them first and maybe even the circumstances.  Were you on a date?  Were you home watching tv?  Were you introduced to a particular film or films that became your favorites?  Has your opinion changed from the first time you viewed it/them to now?   

I hope this proves to be a popular topic that we all can share in on and discuss openly, be it frequently or occasionally.  Have fun!  :)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 12:48:30 PM by Jed [Brian] Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 06:07:20 PM »

Oh man this is defenately a tough one.  But its a very good question.  And I am hoping a lot of you will respond to it.  I really like and enjoy questions like this.  Because I get to see what others like.  So great discussion question Jed! O0

Before I give my answer I just want to say that I have not watched all of Clints movies yet.  I am still in the process of purchasing everyone of his movies hes acted in or at least the ones from AFFOD and above on dvd.  But I do own all of his westerns, dirty Harry movies, and most of his better top tier movies.  So more than likely my top two favorite wont change from the future Eastwood movies I havent seen yet.  However I really enjoy all of his movies that I currently own to one degree or another.  Some movies are closer than others.  Mine might change in the future.  But heres my current top 2 favorite Clint films:  1. Unforgiven: For me this one is a no brainer for my number one spot.  Westerns are my favorite genre and Clint is my favorite actor.  Unforgiven is an all around masterpiece IMO.  Matter fact its my second favorite movie behind Rocky.  2.  The Good The Bad and the Ugly:  My second choice was much tougher than my number one choice.  But again I had to go with the western.  And this one is another masterpiece.  Clint, Eli, and Lee were all three totally awesome in this one.  Its only down fall is its lenghth of the film.  But its such a great movie that I am over looking that.  This number two choice was tough because Dirty Harry is very close but in the end GBU is just too good of a movie.  I would like to say that my number two fav wasnt a western just to mix it up.  But that wouldnt be true to how I really feel.  Those two are my current top two favorite Clint movies.  Looking forward to seeing what some of yours are.

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 06:04:22 AM »

^^^Thats' great, Rawhide7!  Thank you so much for sharing and for your compliment.  Very interesting reading your reply.  Those are two very good choices and I can see why you've picked them.  The Good, The Bad And The Ugly and Unforgiven are among Eastwood's best.  I can relate to the difficulty in making a choice even though I'd stated it only took me a couple of seconds to come up with my answer.  It hasn't changed and I don't believe it will.  If I were to compile a top ten list that may be more difficult and time consuming. 

Enjoy seeking out and watching whatever Eastwood films you haven't yet seen.  Are there many of them?  Are they mostly older films, newer ones or a combination?  Over the past handful of years, with age and letting go of my expectations, I've come to enjoy quite a handful of Clint's movies that I used to dislike very much.  Among them are Kelly's Heroes, Where Eagles Dare and Pale Rider.  None of those titles make it to my top 2 but I find them enjoyable now as opposed to all but having discarded them out of dislike years ago.  That's part of the fun of being a fan, really, is revisiting and potentially coming away with an appreciation not there before.

Ok, landing the plane now...   Thanks again for sharing, Rawhide 7, I very much enjoyed what you had to say.  :)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 06:45:44 AM by Jed [Brian] Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 02:09:36 AM »

Thanks Jed. I know this sounds surprising but there are still quite a few I haven't seen yet. There's some I have never seen before and some I've only seen parts of. Here's a few I've never seen before.  Honky talk man, bronco Billy, where Eagles Dare bridges of Madison county there's a few more as well. Some I've only seen parts of are pink Cadu
Lilac. Heartbreak ridge and absolute power. I missed about 15 mins of absolute power. And there's some more as well. But those are just a few examples. But Ya I consider u forgiven and the good the bad and the ugly as my top 2 fav and really imo I think those are two of his greatest movies he's ever made. Again there will be people to disagree with me on this. But that's what's great about this topic is everybody has there own opinion on there top 2 fav Eastwood movies. I am really looking forward to seeing what others top 2 fav are. This is really a great topic so I hope a lot of people will reply. Topics like this is what this forum should be about. Jed I would like to see your top 2 when u can. And thanks for the kind words.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 02:58:48 AM »

^^^Thank you, Rawhide7.  I agree, it would be great see more participation here.  I believe it could and would be fun for all.   You've got some very good Eastwood films ahead of you to watch.  Enjoy! 

“Eyuh.”
_Clintan_

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 09:15:14 AM »

My picks are the exact same as Rawhide's. Unforgiven is the second best western of all time, IMO, and a masterpiece of American cinema. Watched it the first time at a very young age but even then I knew it was something special. The Good, the Bad & the Ugly is another truly great movie. For a Few Dollars More is right behind GBU, I'm of the opinion that it's not inferior and it's a really tough call to choose one of them.

Smitty1993

Hey there

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 02:53:25 PM »

Hard choice but since I love the Oscars, Unforgiven and Million Dollar Baby

Do you feel lucky punk 😀
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 08:02:50 PM »

My picks are the exact same as Rawhide's. Unforgiven is the second best western of all time, IMO, and a masterpiece of American cinema. Watched it the first time at a very young age but even then I knew it was something special. The Good, the Bad & the Ugly is another truly great movie. For a Few Dollars More is right behind GBU, I'm of the opinion that it's not inferior and it's a really tough call to choose one of them.

Just out of curiosity which western do you put over Unforgiven?  Is it a non Clint western?  Or are u saying that The Good the Bad and the Ugly is better than Unforgiven?  Again just out of curiosity.  Oh and great minds think a lot alike! ;)  Thanks for sharing.
_Clintan_

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 05:08:40 AM »

:)

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 07:02:54 AM »

^ My trouble with that one (aside from the hour-long opening sequence) is that every now and then I get a sneaking suspicion that Leone actually expects us to take this stuff seriously. ;)

But, to be sure, I know at least one other movie connoisseur whose judgment I value highly, who rates it #1.
_Clintan_

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 11:05:49 AM »

You mean you get bored with the opening sequence? I think it's the best opening sequence of all time. Would have been even cooler if Clint wasn't such a stick in the mud and agreed to Leone's suggestion that Bronson would blast him, the bad and the ugly away ;)

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 11:32:51 AM »

Nice hearing from you here Clintan, Smitty1993 & KC and again from you, too, Rawhide 7.  Unforgiven is a great western, no doubt about that.  I do think Million Dollar Baby is a great film but not quite sure it would make it into my personal top ten.  That's not a bad thing, though.  There's just so many other great films by Clint that I enjoy more.  Million Dollar Baby is definitely one of Clint's best.

I went out of my way to watch Once Upon A Time In The West only once and, sad to say, I didn't enjoy it.  I can't say specifically why, just that I wasn't entertained.  I may give it another chance sometime to see if my opinion changes.  I do like westerns and Charles Bronson.   

“Eyuh.”
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2015, 07:37:09 PM »

You mean you get bored with the opening sequence? I think it's the best opening sequence of all time. Would have been even cooler if Clint wasn't such a stick in the mud and agreed to Leone's suggestion that Bronson would blast him, the bad and the ugly away ;)

You may be interested in these two posts:

http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/index.php?topic=3736.msg38860#msg38860

http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/index.php?topic=3736.msg59502#msg59502

I thought the opening sequence was sort of funny the first time around, but it doesn't bear a great number of repeat viewings.
_Clintan_

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2015, 11:31:02 AM »

I don't buy that Eastwood was asked first to play Harmonica. Leone had wanted Bronson for a long time but kept saying no until Leone finally got a yes with OUATITW.

It's too bad Eastwood looks down on the Harmonica character as the lesser one of the leads, I couldn't disagree more. If he was asked to play a part in the movie but got bored with Leone's description of the opening, I don't know what to say.

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2015, 12:18:29 PM »

^^^Thanks for sharing those, KC.  Very interesting and informative.  I don't find it all that hard to believe that Leone wanted Eastwood for the part of Harmonica first.  From what I understand, he wanted Bronson for A Fistful Of Dollars first, but that didn't work out.  I don't recall the reason(s) why.  After having had three major hits with Eastwood, it would only make sense that Leone would try to strike gold a fourth time with his golden goose, Eastwood.  It seems that after having gone through three productions that Clint wanted to try something a little different, even if it did wind up in the same genre, a western with Hang 'Em High.  I can just imagine what that would've been like had Leone directed it!   
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 12:21:40 PM by Jed [Brian] Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2015, 12:55:31 PM »

It`s hard to say just two but at the moment I´d say that these are the ones I liked most from Eastwood:

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2015, 04:50:08 PM »

^^^Great choices, Hemlock. Thanks for sharing.  O0

“Eyuh.”
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2015, 04:56:35 PM »

My pleasure  O0
Elizabeth77
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2015, 06:35:46 PM »

What a challenging and thought-provoking question.  The curious thing about it, is that the first two films that came to mind were not westerns, although westerns are how I became aware of Clint as an actor.  The second thought took precedent, so here are my two choices.

1.  For a Few Dollars More - I saw this on TV when I was 14.  It stuck in my mind and I watched it again when I was 32 and loved it.  That led me to learn more about Clint's films and I found this forum.

2.  A Perfect World - It's not a happy film, but it touched me deeply.  I really enjoyed watching Clint in the film, but not as the main character.  I remember feeling that if I had watched this in the cinema, I would have wanted to wait until everyone was gone, then leave by myself.

The other film that came to mind was White Hunter, Black Heart.  It portrays a part of Africa that I grew up hearing about and seeing slides of when I was a child.  It was like seeing part of my family history come alive.

"Thought I was having trouble with my adding.  It's all right now."
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2015, 08:20:41 PM »

Hemlock those are two great choices.  Dirty Harry is probably my third favorite Eastwood movie.  Hey Jed Im ready to see what your top two favorites are?  When your ready of course. ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T