News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pale Rider 30th Anniversary  (Read 4155 times)
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: October 07, 2015, 06:42:54 PM »

Pale Rider (1985)

It's almost hard to believe 30 years has passed since this movie came out in the summer of 1985. I happened to be working as an usher in a movie theater at the time. I remember being thrilled to catch the trailer for Pale Rider, still one of the all time best trailers to this day. I also remember how the narration began, "In 1976 Warner Brothers brought to the screen the last great American western, The Outlaw Josey Wales. Now Warner Brothers will be proud to bring you the next great American western, Pale Rider. Directed by and starring Clint Eastwood."  A bold statement, one I do not agree with, considering John Wayne's final western was released shortly after The Outlaw Josey Wales the same year. To be honest, I have a tough time choosing between those two because they're both great western films. Ironically, the director of Wayne's final movie was Eastwood's mentor, Don Siegel.

I regret only having seen this once on the big screen during its’ initial run. I wish now I'd returned to see it at least one more time. I didn't, though, because I was sorely disappointed. That's what I get for expecting another great western like The Good, The Bad And The Ugly. I think Pale Rider was not only the first Eastwood western, but the first time I'd seen a western movie in a theater. My expectations were very high and I felt like I'd been let down. I was not a happy fan. For the longest time I thought I chose the wrong western to see that summer because I loved Silverado, released shortly after Pale Rider, when I eventually saw it on cable.

I've returned to this film occasionally over the years, seeing if I could find some value or redeeming qualities. I often thought, "How could this be so bad?! I love westerns! Especially those with Eastwood in them!"  Hearing a good friend's positive comments on Pale Rider prompted me to watch yet again, but I still came away unconvinced that this was a good movie.

Over the last couple of years, my opinion began to change and I started, finally, to enjoy watching Pale Rider. Last June, I decided to watch again as it was the film's 30 year anniversary. I enjoyed watching it again so much that I returned to it repeatedly! I couldn't get enough! I must've watched it four or five times. Before writing this, I watched it again recently and I'm now a fan of this movie and look forward to returning to it again before long. Better late than never.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 05:55:04 AM by Jed [Brian] Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 01:27:07 PM »

Thanks for moving this here to Clint Eastwood Westerns from General Siscussion, Schofied Kid.  I had realized too late that I created the topic in the wrong forum.

“Eyuh.”
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 02:15:24 PM »

I love this film  :smitten:

Guess it's too late to ask for a  Collector's Edition...

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 03:03:14 AM »

Jed I have found this to be true about a lot of movies that I see for the first time and don't like them at all. And then for some reason later on I like them after watching them again. It's like they grow on you. I don't understand why that is. But that happens a lot to me. I think a lot of it had to do with your expectations. If you have high expectations for a certain movie first time u watch it and it doesn't meet your expectations then you feel down and disappointed. A couple of examples. Napoleon dynamite, and step brothers. First time I watched these two movies I thought how stupid and corny can u get. I did not like either movie at all. Thought they were stupid. Roughly a yr or so later I happened to watch both of them on tv and I remember laughing a lot and saying to myself these two movies aren't suppose to be serious masterpiece movies.  There sole purpose is to make u laugh. There weren't made to make you think real hard about it take serious. After I realized that I have enjoyed these two movie tremendously.  They both always make me laugh. And I think it's cool to have movies like these two. I now own both of these on DVD and watch them atleast once every yr.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 10:31:26 AM »

^^^I know what you mean.  Sometimes, though, it can be a roller coaster ride.  With a lot of Eastwood’s 1980s films, for instance, I liked them very much upon first seeing them in the theater.  Years later I found them to be sadly disappointing and wondered why I’d like them so much the first time around.  These days, however, I’ve come to appreciate them more.  I wouldn’t say I’ve come full circle, because I still don’t find them great but definitely enjoyable.  Sudden Impact, City Heat, Heartbreak Ridge and The Dead Pool are the ones that come to mind.  I loved seeing them on the big screen and am still happy to have had the opportunity.  Over the years, to me, they hadn’t aged very well at all but now I think they’re okay.

“Eyuh.”
herofan

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 03:39:35 PM »

I remember sitting in the theater when the trailer came on.  I couldn't wait to see it.  I loved it from the first watch.  I won't even try to explain why, but I loved it.  I'll bet I've seen it 100 times over the years.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 01:21:36 PM »

I remember sitting in the theater when the trailer came on.  I couldn't wait to see it.  I loved it from the first watch.  I won't even try to explain why, but I loved it.  I'll bet I've seen it 100 times over the years.

Wow, herofan, you've got me beat by at least 90!   :D  I'll never reach that plateau but do plan on watching Pale Rider again.  Glad to hear you enjoyed it so much.  O0

“Eyuh.”
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T