News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tag You're It #5!!!  (Read 52761 times)
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2015, 12:39:33 PM »

AKA23:  What Eastwood character (performed by Clint) do you have a hard time reconciling the most for his moral actions, and what in particular makes them the hardest to accept?

This is a really great question. It's difficult for me to pick just one character. The character that springs immediately to mind is The Stranger from "High Plains Drifter." The specific action that I'm thinking of is his raping one of the women in the town. What makes it so hard to accept is that to me there seems to be absolutely no justification for his behavior. He was an avenging spirit, but that act seemed needlessly cruel. Rape in any context is unconscionable, and to make matters worse, the movie doesn't really explain what the woman was even being punished for doing. That act seemed unjust, and in that way, it seemed very out of character.

Since that is a very obvious answer, I'll also give some less obvious options. The second that comes to mind is Robert Kincaid's actions in "The Bridges of Madison County." Him beginning an affair with a married mother and wife and then encouraging her to run away with him to start a new life to me seemed very callous and unfeeling. Her running away from her family to start a new life with him would absolutely devastate her family, and there didn't seem to be any concern or acknowledgement of the harm those actions would cause her or her family.

The last character that I'd like to go with is Dirty Harry's actions in "Sudden Impact." By the end of the film, Harry both knew and could prove that Sondra Locke's character was responsible for all the murders he was investigating. Rather than seeking to hold her accountable for her crimes, he not only chose to let her go, he also actively conspired to cover up her crimes by telling the police officer at the end of the film that the gun that was found would be the same gun used in all the murders and that someone else had committed the crimes. Harry knew that that wasn't true. While I have a lot of sympathy for Locke's character, and as a private citizen, I may understand Harry's actions, I can't reconcile those actions with Harry's duty as a law enforcement officer. To me, letting the Locke character go, and conspiring to cover up her crimes, is a betrayal of the values that Harry stood for. While Harry was not above bending the rules to catch a criminal, his actions were always done to save innocent life from harm. In "Sudden Impact," he is letting a criminal go free because he feels sorry for her, but Harry never saw fit to pick and choose between which criminals he'd hold accountable before. This is the same man who refused to condone, and actively sought to stop, the police offers who were seeking the same type of justice by killing criminals in "Magnum Force." What makes the actions of the police officers in "Magnum Force" so different than Sondra Locke's actions and motivations? Harry's behavior in "Sudden Impact" is inconsistent with his actions in the other Harry films and doesn't seem true to his character to me.

What do you think of these answers? Is this a sufficient answer to this question, or do I need to settle on only one character?
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2015, 05:55:40 PM »

What do you think of these answers? Is this a sufficient answer to this question, or do I need to settle on only one character?

O0 Great answer, AKA! Better than I could have hoped for, honestly. It's the kind of post I could see starting a 10 page discussion of its own for others to join in (hint hint if any mod is in agreement).

Now that you mentioned HPD, I recall that there was a HUGE thread on the old board about that, which I believe YOU started (I swear I didn't remember that when I posed the question to you). Those were the days, it was quite an active and fun conversation.

I really can't disagree with you on any of the three you chose, so I'll just say go ahead and tag two, and if anyone wants to continue this discussion, start a new thread quoting AKA's post. :)
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2015, 12:14:34 AM »

Tagging:  Higgy (I don't want to lose this post on my sucky iPad by trying to switch windows to look up her name).  When did you become a Clint fan? Was there a particular movie that led you to wanting to seek out more of his movies and made you more than a casual fan? (I don't see that ANYONE who joins this board is a casual fan, you have to literally find it, sign up for it, and read and comment here -- not something people do for an actor they sorta liked in one movie).

I'm a huge fan of Clint since "Rawhide" époque!!  But to be precise, first I was fans of Eric Fleming !!  Clint was number two!!  ;)
Among many his movies that I love,  my favorite is "Honkytonk Man"!! :)  BTW, I had big chance to tell that directly to Kyle !!  8) ( unfortunately not yet to Clint!!  ???)

I also like his recent movies that many fans do not like, for example, "Hereafter" "Trouble with the Curve" "Jersey Boys" etc,...but unfortunately I do not want to see  "American Sniper"!! :-\
I had only Internet since 2006, but fortunately, it was the year of "Letters from Iwo Jima"!!  My first research on the internet was looking for "Clint Eastwood"!! and I found this clinteastwood.net !!  8)
I just put the answers without Tag, sorry  Matt!!  :-[

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2015, 03:28:53 AM »

Thanks for the tag Kid, great question... I'll have to give that some serious thought..

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2015, 05:27:39 AM »

I just put the answers without Tag, sorry  Matt!!  :-[

Thanks for the answers, Higgy (do you like that, or do you have a preferred nickname?)

I was looking through the member list last night and saw a name from the old board that would be great to have back here -- Sundayjack. And I'd like to TRY Daisy. So if you weren't planning on tagging anyone, let me step in with two very-long-shot tags to attempt to get back two more great members.

SUNDAYJACK:  Do you collect any Clint Eastwood movie posters or memorabilia? If so, what do you have and what's your favorite item?

DAISY:  What's your favorite Clint-directed film that he doesn't appear in?
bdc28
Classic Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2015, 05:53:40 AM »

"BDC28:  Dirty Harry or Josey Wales? Was one more of an outlaw of their time?"

Actually I cant believe I have to be hurtful on this question...but I am gonna. Josey Wales is absolutely the ONLY rebel of his time in this scenario. If anything Dirty Harry shows some sense of cowardice towards rebellion in that respect. Although he does exercise his own form of law, he also uses his badge to give him shielding from any kind of repercussion that may come legally. By comparison Josey Wales was too blood thirsty towards those that killed his family to much care about repercussion...for that matter death.

My question goes to our new\old friend...Matt.

Were you, honestly all of you could answer this question...were ANY of you affected by the Clint Eastwood meltdown with the chair?

"I once shot an elephant in my pajamas. What he was doing wearing my pajamas I have no idea..."
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2015, 10:00:59 AM »

bdc's question might actually make an interesting topic in our new Political Discussion forum, for those who are members there.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2015, 12:11:28 PM »

Well, I think I can answer that without anyone being offended -- and if anyone wants to expand on it, yeah, start a post over in the Classic Lounge.

Clint is super cool, and rarely has a mis-step, so I was more surprised that he COULD have a bad public moment. It was embarrassing, but nothing big enough for all the coverage it received. I mean, if someone was following me around with a camera and documenting all my stupid moves, and then it made the news and everyone talked about it, I think I would have looked bad 40 years ago.

AKA (I think it was) posted a link that's in the NEWS section about the Sully movie, and he said he just winged it on the stage. I kinda feel bad for him. It's just a bad comedy schtick that didn't work too well. I have done a LOT of that in my time.

ALLY:  Forgive me if I forget the answers to some of these that have been said on this board ages ago -- but why are you a Clint fan? Was there a specific film that did it? Just walk us through how you got here.

BRENDAN:  What are you doing these days, career-wise, and how could you be of the best use to an Eastwood film crew?
bdc28
Classic Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2015, 01:36:57 PM »

I know Matt-lock...but you have to admit...the jokes that followed about elderly people talking to inanimate objects stung.....

HILARIOUS...but stung.

"I once shot an elephant in my pajamas. What he was doing wearing my pajamas I have no idea..."
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2015, 02:09:15 PM »

KC: Like all of us you are a huge Eastwood fan, but I'm sure that there are films that he's made that you might not have enjoyed as much as you might have hoped. So, my question is for you. Of the films that Eastwood has acted in and directed, which films did you find to be disappointing, and why?

Matt: You've stated that you haven't really kept up with Eastwood's films over the past eight years. I can understand leaving the board, but I can't understand why a huge fan like we all are would not continue to watch his new films. Heck, I even saw "Jersey Boys" in theaters, and I wouldn't have even seen that film were Eastwood not involved. So, why did you decide to not continue to watch his new projects after you left the board? Also, I remember that you were writing a script for Eastwood to star in with Jodie Foster. Did you ever finish that script? If yes, how did you feel it turned out, and if not, why not? You can answer the second part of my question via private message if you would prefer to do so.

Thanks so much for the tag! I always really enjoyed this game, and I'm glad you brought it back!
allycat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2015, 03:31:48 PM »

ALLY:  Forgive me if I forget the answers to some of these that have been said on this board ages ago -- but why are you a Clint fan? Was there a specific film that did it? Just walk us through how you got here.

I can't remember if I've ever played tag on here! Here we go, anyway:

I hadn't seen many Clint films before I became a big fan, although I'd seen the spaghetti westerns so I knew about him and enjoyed them. I guess I became a much bigger fan when I decided to write my undergraduate (American Studies) dissertation on Clint and masculinity. I guess it was a long time ago so you probably don't remember, but that's the reason I came to the CEWB in the first place (circa 1999/2000 – even though I think my registered date on the board is 2002, wasn't there an old version of the CEWB prior to 2002?). I was looking for inspiration, and a bit of help, as a Clint newbie. I think by that point I'd already decided to write my dissertation on Dirty Harry, Tightrope, Unforgiven and The Bridges of Madison County, although it's so long ago I might've been inspired by KC/mgk in the choice of films too, I can't say for sure. Dirty Harry and Unforgiven became two of my most favourite films in particular, although Tightrope is perhaps the one that I found the most interesting to study at the time (hence my profile pic).

I don't know if you know, Matt, but I completed the dissertation in the summer of 2001, and was all set to send it to Clint to see what he made of it (and I was young and proud of my work!), but then 9/11 happened and I think I was dissuaded from sending it to him in case he thought it was a suspicious package or something. So sadly he never got to read it. He's probably used to being written about a lot anyway and maybe I wouldn't have offered any insights into his work. But I got a first (top mark) for it and I befriended all you lot along the way, so it was a good experience!

I also went from owning maybe one or two Clint films (prior to writing it) to pretty much buying them all, although since then I've moved on from buying videos to DVDs, to buying blu-rays generally and my collection hasn't caught up yet, so I'd have to start all over again (with what's available on blu-ray anyway). I have GBU on blu-ray though!

Also, as an aside, I confess I haven't kept up with Clint's films in the cinema. I think the last Clint film I saw in the cinema was Gran Torino. But you know, having a kid means I have less time on my hands – that's my excuse!

Time to tag ... my old pal Christopher. Who's your biggest crush or favourite leading lady in a Clint film, and why?  :D

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2015, 04:26:05 PM »

The Scofield Kid asks me what was the most jaw dropping moment in an Eastwood film that I remember...

The one that springs to mind is probably the scene in Million Dollar Baby where Hilary Swanks character turns her back on her opponent, gets thumped and falls breaking her neck on the stool... Like most people I really didn't see that coming and of course it totally affected the trajectory of the film.... A bit of an obvious choice possibly but still a very unexpected moment...

After all these years you'd think I'd know how to paste the tags up..... Wrong ;)

I'll be back with new tags soon, and great to see Matt and ally back on board....

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2015, 06:35:49 PM »

Thanks so much for the tag! I always really enjoyed this game, and I'm glad you brought it back!

Credit where it's due ... it was the Schofield Kid who started the new tag game thread. Though I don't know how far it would have gotten if it weren't for Matt drawing back in all these old-time posters!

I know I have a few tags outstanding. I'll get to them when I finish a project I'm working on ... deadline is one week from today! :o
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2015, 06:58:00 PM »

Matt: You've stated that you haven't really kept up with Eastwood's films over the past eight years. I can understand leaving the board, but I can't understand why a huge fan like we all are would not continue to watch his new films. Heck, I even saw "Jersey Boys" in theaters, and I wouldn't have even seen that film were Eastwood not involved. So, why did you decide to not continue to watch his new projects after you left the board? Also, I remember that you were writing a script for Eastwood to star in with Jodie Foster. Did you ever finish that script? If yes, how did you feel it turned out, and if not, why not? You can answer the second part of my question via private message if you would prefer to do so.

That was actually a great beginning to a script, but like so many projects of mine -- I never finished it. :(

As for the first part of your question:  I just kind of burned out on Clint. You know, I had 6,000 posts or so on the old board and over 9,000 here in about 7 years of talking about Clint Eastwood EVERY DAY for hours. Just before Flags of Our Fathers came out, I realized I just needed a break and I didn't have a great attitude at that point in time about anything. And, as I just posted in another thread, I got more interested in other films -- first the Silents, and then some foreign flicks, leading me to my love of Korean Cinema, which I decided I needed to immerse myself completely in because I thought I could learn how to speak it if I only watched Korean films and television. So, I took the eight year break, and now... I'm ready to get back to them. But, I think I'll need to wait another month because I'm pretty busy until after the holidays.

Let me look around and see if I can get some people tagged who haven't been yet. BRB.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2015, 07:16:02 PM »

That was actually a great beginning to a script, but like so many projects of mine -- I never finished it. :(

As for the first part of your question:  I just kind of burned out on Clint. You know, I had 6,000 posts or so on the old board and over 9,000 here in about 7 years of talking about Clint Eastwood EVERY DAY for hours. Just before Flags of Our Fathers came out, I realized I just needed a break and I didn't have a great attitude at that point in time about anything. And, as I just posted in another thread, I got more interested in other films -- first the Silents, and then some foreign flicks, leading me to my love of Korean Cinema, which I decided I needed to immerse myself completely in because I thought I could learn how to speak it if I only watched Korean films and television. So, I took the eight year break, and now... I'm ready to get back to them. But, I think I'll need to wait another month because I'm pretty busy until after the holidays.

Let me look around and see if I can get some people tagged who haven't been yet. BRB.

I have never seen a Korean movie, but I like foreign films too. I find that they are often more real and they generally feel more true to life than most American mainstream films. Thats really cool that you are learning Korean, and I'm happy to hear that you're getting ready for a return to all things Eastwood. If you want to know a bit more about these films before deciding what to see, drop me a line. I've seen them all, and I'd be happy to help reintroduce you to Eastwood's recent work.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2015, 07:20:35 PM »

Credit where it's due ... it was the Schofield Kid who started the new tag game thread. Though I don't know how far it would have gotten if it weren't for Matt drawing back in all these old-time posters!

I know I have a few tags outstanding. I'll get to them when I finish a project I'm working on ... deadline is one week from today! :o

I didn't realize that Schofield Kid had restarted this thread. I hadn't been keeping up with it much before Matt started posting in it and then tagged me. So, I apologize for my oversight, and thank you so much to Schofield Kid for restarting this thread. This was a really great idea! And, thanks to Matt for cajoling all of us old timers back in to participate in a new round of this game. It's a very fun and interesting way for us to all learn more about each other!
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2015, 07:40:09 PM »

I have never seen a Korean movie, but I like foreign films too. I find that they are often more real and they generally feel more true to life than most American mainstream films. Thats really cool that you are learning Korean, and I'm happy to hear that you're getting ready for a return to all things Eastwood. If you want to know a bit more about these films before deciding what to see, drop me a line. I've seen them all, and I'd be happy to help reintroduce you to Eastwood's recent work.

Thanks, AKA! I tend to like to go into films without knowing much about them in advance. I'll post here as I watch them, like I did in Jed's thread after watching Hereafter.

Asian films, as a whole, aren't more true-to-life, they are incredibly intense, though (especially Japanese films). Korean films will tear you to pieces emotionally. Like nothing I've ever seen. They're intense, but not from the standpoint of brutality (like the Japanese films), but emotionally.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2015, 07:57:34 PM »

TAGGING:

Richard:  First of all, thanks for taking over the administrative duties of our beloved board. One of the reasons we have the Tag game is to try to lure people into talking more than they would normally.  I still haven't had time to read everything from my absence, so maybe you've mentioned before... but for those of us who don't know:  Tell us about your "Eastwood Journey".  When did you become a fan, and was there a particular film that really did it? (I know I ask that question a lot - it's a great starter question for getting to know people here).

Chessie:  I remember that you are a VERY good artist. Your tag is actually unique:  Post a picture of Clint that you've drawn. If you haven't drawn one yet, that's your tag - get to work!.(Check THIS THREAD for a great tutorial on posting pics here on a site that supposedly retains the images online "forever".)
Chessie
Member Extraordinaire

You're anything but a simple woman.

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2015, 08:17:52 PM »

TAGGING:
Chessie:  I remember that you are a VERY good artist. Your tag is actually unique:  Post a picture of Clint that you've drawn.

Oh Matt it's so delightful to see you again!!!

I'm currently on set shooting a movie right now, maybe one day I'll work with Clint Eastwood, yay.

I'm going to tag.......

MATT - What have you been doing lately, anything Clint related?

AMERICANBEAUTY - In the last ten years, what is your favorite film Clint has done?

The old dreams were good dreams; they didn't work out, but I'm glad I had them.  - Robert Kincaid, the Bridges of Madison County
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2015, 08:27:15 PM »

WOW, Chessie -- that's fantastic!  O0  My memory was right, you're a great artist!

MATT - What have you been doing lately, anything Clint related?

I've been just working and keeping busy -- that's not an excuse for leaving the board for so long. In actuality, time just went by so fast, I can't believe I was gone that long. I did want a bit of a break, but I missed everyone here a lot. When I noticed KC's birthday was coming up, I thought how it would be nice to check back in. I was surprised to find that I wasn't actually forgotten here -- and I got drawn back in. I haven't been doing ANYTHING Clint related in my absence, but I will be getting caught up again by rewatching his films and catching the newer ones I haven't seen yet.

TAGGING: 

CHESSIE:  (C'mon, it's too great to have you back, I'm going to make sure you stick around)  You just mentioned that you're "shooting a movie now".  So your next question is:  WHAT ARE YOU DOING EXACTLY? Can you say? Are you on the crew, and if so, in what capacity? Is it an Independent film? What genre? And since this is in the Eastwood General Discussion forum, please expand on  your answer to include what you'd be best suited for on the set of a new Clint Eastwood film.

BIGDAI:  Your birthday is coming up, and you'll be 182 years old. So, if we were to put one Clint Eastwood film in a time capsule that would be opened 182 years in the future and which would embody the decade it was released in films, which ONE MOVIE of his would you put in?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T