News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Flags Of Our Fathers & Letters From Iwo Jima 10th Anniversary  (Read 2164 times)
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: January 26, 2016, 09:19:52 AM »

These are the first Eastwood films my wife and I didn’t attend together.  At the time, she was pregnant with our first baby and the subject matter wasn’t all that appealing to her, anyway.  I’m sure if Clint starred in either or both, she would’ve made the effort since going to Eastwood movies together has become sort of a tradition ever since The Bridges Of Madison County was rereleased in theaters due to Streep’s Academy Award nomination, which happened to be around the time we started dating.

I’m due to watch both of these again so I can’t say much about them now.  I didn’t want to hold off until then because I’m posting all of the “anniversary” Eastwood movies at the same time.  Truth be told, I’m not really looking forward to sitting through these again because Clint isn’t in them but will do so with an opened mind.  I remember seeing Flags Of Our Fathers with my uncle and Letters From Iwo Jima with my cousin.  My initial impression of the former was that it was ok but too long, while the latter was a little better.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 02:05:25 PM by Jed (Brian) Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 12:16:00 PM »

I loved Letters from Iwo Jima. It felt like a great Asian film.... so shocking it was a Clint Eastwood film. Absolutely perfect in every way. It had the emotion, the beauty, and the pain I've come to expect of Asian films, but then the cinematography of Eastwood. 10/10, perfect.

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 08:27:24 PM »

A friend of mine, who passed away last year at the age of 91, had actually been stationed on Iwo Jima right after the battle. He loved both movies and often talked about how authentic they seemed to him.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 07:48:24 AM »

Sorry for your loss.  And that's a nice compliment about Eastwood's, and the rest of the cast and crew's, efforts.

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 07:07:46 AM »

I put Flags Of Our Fathers on last night thinking I'd fall asleep about 30 minutes into viewing it.  Surprisingly, I stayed awake through to the end.  Not sure if having seen it before helped me get through this viewing.  It's not a terrible film.  But, when compared to Saving Private Ryan, I consider Flags Of Our Fathers to be a bland film.  Still, it is interesting to see the effect war and the promotional tour took on the three primary characters.  Jumping back and forth in time is a bit annoying but not overly distracting.  The overall look, direction and production is very good.  The acting is okay, but the only outstanding performance is Adam Beach as the tormented Ira Hayes.  I don't see myself revisiting this film again but didn't mind this most recent viewing. 

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 08:27:25 AM »

I had the opportunity to watch Letters From Iwo Jima again recently not long after having viewed Flags Of Our Fathers.  The acting, directing and production of this film is very good.  Still, I did not enjoy sitting through it.  Around the middle of the movie, I found myself anticipating the finale and struggled to stay interested to see it through to the end.

“Eyuh.”
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T