News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eastwood Movie Challenge Week Three: Coogan's Bluff, Where Eagles Dare  (Read 21189 times)
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2016, 06:38:57 PM »

I watched Where Eagles Dare tonight. I was a little drowsy going into it, so I did have to fight to keep myself awake, but obviously not the movie's fault. I do enjoy this one. There are various twists and turns to the plot, but it's still a pretty straightforward action movie with some nice action scenes. I agree with one of the other comments I've read in this thread--I think it might have been Conan who said that the movie could have been edited down a little more.
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2016, 12:00:46 AM »

"Where Eagles Dare" is still one of my favorite war movie of Eastwood.  He is very smart in the uniform of Nazi! ;)
For a film of war, there is often very violent scenes but this one is rarely for me, it is not a scene that I wanted to avoid watching!
But there are some very spectacular scenes as the scene of the cable car and bus,...and the last scene in the airplane .....
Always very enjoyable movie and I especially love the locations places !!  :)

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2016, 02:19:59 PM »

I'm all caught up with Where Eagles Dare. I've always liked the movie, but I think it's for the style. Or at least for Clint Eastwood. But it's not one I enjoy returning to very often. I really should check out The Witches, as I've never seen it. Except a few moments.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2016, 02:36:32 PM »

Doug, it would be great if you were to watch The Witches and comment on it. I don't think anyone else has accepted the Challenge Bonus!
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2016, 04:03:10 PM »

I was just looking through the Eastwood Movie Challenge Journals, and it looks like Shannon did do the Bonus Challenge on The Witches, but hasn't posted anything about it yet. Well, Ms. Shannon, feel free to pipe up and tell us what you thought of it.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2016, 07:29:34 PM »

I've never seen The Witches. But out of the bonus movies, the Amazing Stories episode is the only one I've seen before. Not sure that I'll have a chance to see any of them. Amazon might have them available to stream, but I don't know that I'll do that.
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2016, 09:39:42 PM »

Always really enjoyed Coogans Bluff.  Eastwood is great as is all the other actors and actresses in it.  I thought that was a perfect role for Clint.  Where Eagles Dare is just okay for me.  Like Doug said not one I would return to very often.  But decent war movie!  Just kind of long!
palooka
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2016, 01:05:40 AM »

I watch Coogan's Bluff quite regularly. I own the brown suit Clint wears throughout. I never tire of seeing NY in the 60's.

Will catch up with Eagles this evening.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2016, 02:01:56 AM »

Watched both films as planed but have not had time to write anything up here before.So sorry about my tardiness  :-[

Anyways as always I liked both films a lot.The other one is so tight and effective and the other one is bombastic and Yes a bit over long.

Coogan's Bluff is so cool film in many ways.You can easily see that same people made Dirty Harry.As said here earlier the film is dated but I like the 60's feel that film has.
Coogan must be the most full of himself character that he has ever played (maybe Wilson is as bad in White Hunter Black Heart?).
Still think that the end motorcycle races is a bit lame.Would have liked more if there had been a bigger brawl with Stroud and Eastwood.

Where Eagles Dare is awesome!Silly and way too complicated at times but still highly entertaining.Not Eastwood's greatest moment as it is more of a Burton film but Eastwood is quite effective "killing machine".

My main problems with the film are Derren Nesbitt's uniform which is SS-uniform and it is said in the film that he is from Gestapo and they used Civilization clothes...also the helicopter annoyed me a bit.

Still great films.Both of them O0
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2016, 11:55:55 AM »

Good point on the uniforms, Hemlock. The question seems to be a bit complicated. From Wikipedia:

Before their 1939 amalgamation into the RSHA, the Gestapo and Kripo were plainclothes police agencies and had no uniforms. Although individual Gestapo officers could and did join the Allgemeine-SS or other Party organizations, those uniforms would not have been worn on duty.

From June 1936, a concerted effort was made to recruit policemen of the SiPo into the SS, and SS members into the Kripo and especially the Gestapo, but with limited success; by 1939 only a small percentage of Gestapo agents were SS members. With the formation of RSHA in September 1939, Gestapo officers who also held SS rank began to wear the wartime grey SS uniform when on duty in the Hauptamt or regional headquarters (Abschnitte). Hollywood notwithstanding, after 1939 the black SS uniform was only worn by Allgemeine-SS reservists; it was abolished in 1942.[79] Outside the central offices, Gestapo agents working out of the Stapostellen and Stapoleitstellen continued to wear civilian suits in keeping with the secretive nature of their work.

There were strict protocols protecting the identity of Gestapo field personnel. When asked for identification, an operative was only required to present his warrant disc. This identified the operative as Gestapo without revealing personal identity and agents, except when ordered to do so by an authorized official, were not required to show picture identification, something all non-Gestapo people were expected to do. Nevertheless, the sight of dark leather coats and black uniforms along with the very mention of the word "Gestapo" elicited fear among the general population.[80]

Beginning in 1940, the grey SS uniform was worn by Gestapo in occupied countries, even those who were not actually SS members, because agents in civilian clothes had been shot by members of the Wehrmacht thinking that they were partisans.

Unlike the rest of the SS, the right-side collar patch of the RSHA was plain black without insignia, as was the uniform cuffband. Gestapo agents in uniform did not wear SS shoulderboards, but rather police-pattern shoulderboards piped or underlaid in "poison green" (giftgrün). A diamond-shaped black patch with "SD" in white was worn on the lower left sleeve even by SiPo men who were not actually in the SD. Sometimes this Raute was piped in white; there is some debate over whether this may or may not have indicated Gestapo personnel.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2016, 12:13:37 PM »

Watched both films as planed but have not had time to write anything up here before.So sorry about my tardiness  :-[

Turn that frown upside down. We're just happy to have you joining in, and no one should feel badly for being a little late, or not watching all the movies.

If anyone gets one of my little reminder PMs, don't worry! I just want to make sure that everyone remembers the Challenge and doesn't accidentally fall behind. Life happens, and not everyone visits the Board every day, so I just like to keep it fresh in everyone's minds.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2016, 12:15:11 PM »

I watch Coogan's Bluff quite regularly. I own the brown suit Clint wears throughout. I never tire of seeing NY in the 60's.

Will catch up with Eagles this evening.

I'm going to assume you own a similar suit, and not THE suit, but since you've worked with Clint several times, maybe a little clarification? If you own THE suit, we must see pictures!
Charlie

View Profile Email
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2016, 12:28:38 PM »

Coogan's was good.  I just wish some of these women would get naked...  I need the unrated Eastwood collection.
Elizabeth77
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2016, 07:42:43 PM »

I managed to finish Where Eagles Dare tonight, although I was deprived of some exciting parts toward the end.  I've got one of those double-sided disks with Kelly's Heroes on the other side.  I've only watched each side once, but it acts like it's badly scratched.  It's not, but the result is the same.  It was part of the Clint Eastwood: 35 Films 35 Years set a few years back.  That's one of the deficiencies of the set--most of the discs have movies on both sides.  Oh, well.  At the time it was the easiest way to get some of the films.  If I remember, I bought the set so I could watch White Hunter, Black Heart for Movie Night.

I've got a fever-induced headache, so haven't much to say about WED.  It certainly has it's rather unreal moments, but it's pretty fun for all that.  I've seen it just often enough so that I don't have to wonder who the bad guys are anymore.  Clint carries a fairly disgusted look on his face for much of the film.  That's understandable considering he's rarely let in on the secret of what's going on.  I still don't like the red titles in that font.  They used that color concept a number of times and I'm not particularly fond of it.  This isn't one of my favorites, but it does kind of grow on me.

I'm off to bed in the hopes that I'll feel better in the morning.

"Thought I was having trouble with my adding.  It's all right now."
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2016, 10:05:07 PM »

Coogan's was good.  I just wish some of these women would get naked...  I need the unrated Eastwood collection.

The action in the Pigeon-Toed Orange Peel wasn't enough for you? ???
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2016, 02:56:54 AM »

Doug, it would be great if you were to watch The Witches and comment on it. I don't think anyone else has accepted the Challenge Bonus!

In short the movie is awful, with its low point being "The Earth As Seen from the Moon," which I'd give an F rating to. It's the worst short film I've ever seen. The others I'd rate maybe D+, while "An Evening Like the Others" (with Clint Eastwood) I'd give a generous C- rating to, and only because I watched the English dub version of that one, and at least you get Clint's voice. It was a truly bad experience, and a terrible waste of time. Now it's your turn to watch it.  >:D

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2016, 07:51:21 AM »

It seems like I may have recorded The Witches from TV a long time ago--I want to say maybe Turner Classic Movies, but I never watched it. If that memory is real... :D  then I probably started the movie at some point and decided not to watch it.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2016, 03:00:31 PM »

It was a truly bad experience, and a terrible waste of time. Now it's your turn to watch it.  >:D

;D Wow, with a review like that I CAN'T WAIT!

I do have it on VHS, but I don't have it hooked up anymore, and I don't want to buy it on DVD. I think I watched the "An Evening Like The Others" segment many, many years ago, but I don't remember it. Probably blocked it from memory for self-preservation.  :)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2016, 03:01:14 PM »

It seems like I may have recorded The Witches from TV a long time ago--I want to say maybe Turner Classic Movies, but I never watched it. If that memory is real... :D  then I probably started the movie at some point and decided not to watch it.

If it's too bad for Christopher, that means it's pretty darn bad.  :o
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2016, 07:35:26 PM »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/vH2ISk92Iyw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/vH2ISk92Iyw</a>   :D

"Una sera come le altre" starts at 1:19:15.  ;)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T