News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eastwood Movie Challenge Week Three: Coogan's Bluff, Where Eagles Dare  (Read 21419 times)
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2016, 11:20:53 AM »

;D Who is that in the photo with him?
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2016, 11:37:39 AM »

;D Who is that in the photo with him?

Hmm, the page is in Swedish (my guess). This is a job for our multi-lingual KC.  From what I can read, maybe Anne-Marie Johnsontól?

http://www.origo.hu/filmklub/blog/hir/20091020-szexualis-zaklatas-miatt-felfuggesztettek-seymour-cassel-sagtagsagat.html

Oh no! He's at it again!

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2016, 11:45:02 AM »

Oh, my, he is a character! :D ;D
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2016, 07:44:42 PM »

Hmm, the page is in Swedish (my guess). This is a job for our multi-lingual KC.  From what I can read, maybe Anne-Marie Johnsontól?

http://www.origo.hu/filmklub/blog/hir/20091020-szexualis-zaklatas-miatt-felfuggesztettek-seymour-cassel-sagtagsagat.html

Be glad to help you out, if it were Swedish! But it's Hungarian. Not one of my lingos.

It dates from 2009, and this is what Google Translate gave me:

The Screen Actors Guild (SAG), the largest advocacy organization in the US actors suspended for two years, Seymour Cassel (Faces, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie) membership after a 74-year-old actor was found guilty of a sexual harassment case during an internal investigation. Cassel that is exactly what he had done, it was not disclosed, all I know about the case to the actor SAG meeting in May in a three female colleagues behaved "inappropriate" manner. Cassel running against the internal investigation has been suspended once before, so Cassel could begin SAG president for his position. The vote in the polls in September earned 18%, and thus decided to facing him, receiving 48% of the vote in favor of Ken Howard, presumably because of Cassell on a platform, 33% of author Anne-Marie Johnson pulled away of the votes.

I think what that last part means is this (from Wikipedia):

In 2009 Cassell was once again a candidate for national president of the Screen Actors Guild along with Anne Marie Johnson and Ken Howard. Howard was the eventual winner and is current President of the Screen Actors Guild.

So no, Anne-Marie isn't the lady in the picture ... she was his rival for SAG president. And there's nothing in that Wiki article about a SAG suspension, so maybe it was all a Hungarian fever dream ... or maybe the Hungarian has a meaning Google Translate can't penetrate. So to speak.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #84 on: February 21, 2016, 07:55:09 PM »

Back to Coogan's Bluff, I still miss the "extra scenes" that according to the much-missed Web Board old-timer "Philo" were added to the TV version to pad it to acceptable broadcast length after the censors cut out the racy and ultra-violent parts. As detailed in Philo's post, and mine immediately following it, in a thread from 2004.

Just for the fun of it, I'm going to quote my post with the transcripts here:

The scene in question may not be important or striking cinematically, but it carries a significant piece of exposition: The man Coogan is supposed to extradite in New York is wanted for murder. Without that bit of information, he's just a drug-crazed hippie.

There's another brief scene (in the hospital) that is also apparently only found in some U.S. TV versions. In it, we see that Coogan disobeys the doctor's explicit instructions, and leaves the hospital against medical advice. It adds something (if a small something) to what we know of his character. I, for one, would have liked to have seen these two scenes on the DVD, at least as extras.

FWIW, here are transcriptions of the two scenes:

Scene: The sheriff’s office. The sheriff looks out the window, sees Coogan’s jeep with the two bullet holes in the windshield, sees Coogan coming his way. Coogan, outside the office door, knocks.

SHERIFF: Come in.

Coogan enters, wearing shades.

SHERIFF: Forty-seven minutes late.

COOGAN: So?

SHERIFF: So you know what a new windshield costs? Installed? $44.50.

COOGAN as he takes off his shades: Is that what you want to ... talk to me about?

SHERIFF: Not quite.

He goes to desk, takes out papers.

SHERIFF: Governor’s warrant. Duplicate flight, duplicate record, James Ringerman.

COOGAN: Ringerman?

He takes the papers.

SHERIFF as he takes a cigar from a box on his desk and lights it: Remember Ringerman? Discharged soldier, stole a car down at Bisby? Armed robbery, service station? Picked up a little blonde someplace. We found her dead, motel, busted neck. Apprehended November 3, escaped custody, November 9. Last fall. They picked him up in New York last week, they’re holding him for us. For you, that is.

COOGAN: Why me, sheriff?

SHERIFF: You’re the one who pinched him.

COOGAN: And you’re the one who lost him.

SHERIFF: Heffurnan lost him.

COOGAN: Well then, send Heffurnan.

SHERIFF: Are you telling me who to send?

COOGAN: I’m telling you that I was out there for three days.

SHERIFF: So? You had a nice, refreshing bath. Here’s the necessary information, where to go and who to see when you get there. Plus airline ticket vouchers. Get thrashing, Deputy.

COOGAN: What is it with me, sheriff?

SHERIFF: Well, let’s just say that I don’t like deputies who bust up my vehicles. You got a per diem in New York, I wanna see the bills. Any complaints?

COOGAN: No, no. I figure I came out ahead.

He helps himself to one of the sheriff’s cigars.

COOGAN exiting, smiling: You could have asked me to pay for the windshield.

He goes out as he puts the cigar in his mouth. The sheriff slams the cigar box shut. Cut to a cigar-shaped airborne helicopter.

In the "official" video version of the hospital scene, there’s a cut from a shot of Lt. McElroy exiting after his last line, "I’ll be back tomorrow" (Coogan, off camera, replies, "Yeah, you do that") to a closeup of Coogan in bed, then a longer shot as he then turns over, gets up and walks to the window, takes off his bandage, and looks out through the blinds. His point of view of the street below is the transition to another point of view of another street, this time his view from his hotel room; he’s left the hospital.

But in the "long" version, there’s a brief scene for the doctor between McElroy’s exit and Coogan’s getting out of bed. It goes like this:

McElroy exits. Cut to a medium shot of a doctor examining Coogan, who reclines in bed, facing away from the camera.

DOCTOR: New York’s finest. No pained smile, please.

COOGAN: How do you get to the Golden Hotel from here?

DOCTOR as he takes Coogan’s pulse: The Golden? I wouldn’t worry about it for a couple of days. You’ve got a little more time to put in here.

COOGAN: Thanks.

DOCTOR: I mean it.

He turns out the light above Coogan’s bed and begins to walk to the door.

DOCTOR: Don’t try to get up. You’ll fall down.

Exit. Cut to the closeup of Coogan, who gets up and walks to the window, etc., as outlined above.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #85 on: February 21, 2016, 08:02:49 PM »

It does seem like I've seen those scenes a long time ago. In fact, when I watched it, I noticed how it cut from Coogan being told to be in the office straight to when he's in New York, and I did think it seemed like there was something else there in a TV edit.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #86 on: February 21, 2016, 08:25:47 PM »

According to the imdb trivia page for Coogan's Bluff, Don Siegel has a cameo in an elevator. I don't think I've ever heard that before or noticed him.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062824/trivia?ref_=tt_trv_trv

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2016, 10:08:37 PM »

According to the imdb trivia page for Coogan's Bluff, Don Siegel has a cameo in an elevator. I don't think I've ever heard that before or noticed him.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062824/trivia?ref_=tt_trv_trv

Yeah, I wondered about that too. Aveleyman.com has him in its cast list, but I can't recall a scene in an elevator, let alone one with Don Siegel as a passenger (and his son Kristoffer Tabori, whom Siegel credits in his memoir with christening the discotheque in the movie the "Pigeon-Toed Orange Peel").
palooka
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #88 on: February 22, 2016, 01:23:55 AM »

I'm going to assume you own a similar suit, and not THE suit, but since you've worked with Clint several times, maybe a little clarification? If you own THE suit, we must see pictures!

It's THE suit. Or at least one of them. He would have had a few on set as it gets ripped and distressed during filming.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2016, 01:28:41 AM »

Wow! How'd you wind up with that? Do you have pictures of it? Can you wear it?
palooka
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2016, 01:07:16 AM »

Collecting movie props and costumes is my thing. Clint's in particular.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T