News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eastwood Movie Challenge Week Four: Paint Your Wagon  (Read 14181 times)
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2016, 11:14:45 AM »

Wow, I didn't realize this was Harve Presnell in Paint Your Wagon!

It was only when I saw his image alongside his name on IMDB that I realized he was the same actor in Fargo, Saving Private Ryan and Flags Of Our Fathers.  I do recall noting how much better his singing was than everyone else's.

“Eyuh.”
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2016, 09:46:53 PM »

Yes, it was explained. It was Jacob's other wife's baby. Jacob explained just before they agreed to auction Elizabeth off that her baby had died two weeks previously.

Thanks Matt! That was true! I remember now..... :)

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
The Man With No Aim
Member Extraordinaire

"There are two kinds of men in this world"

View Profile Email
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2016, 03:42:39 AM »

This is such a truly joyful comedy of a film, anybody who doesn't just relax and GET IT, doesn't deserve to.

My vote No. 1 best movie to be with your best buds, and girlfriends as the case may be, and get drunk and laugh and laugh, and of course sleep on the floor until you are sober enough to legally drive home again.

MAN

"In all the excitement I lost count myself'
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2016, 03:58:19 PM »

I hope everybody had fun with the Paint Your Wagon movie night! Loading up on drink with the Lee Marvin method technique is probably the best way to enjoy the movie.

I watched it again this weekend, and while the movie does have it charm, it's just so tedious. Its thin and almost absurd story-line does not justify its two hour and forty minute run time.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2016, 02:47:01 AM »

^ If they would cut out all those annoying songs, it would be about the right length! ;)
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2016, 06:56:45 AM »

^ If they would cut out all those annoying songs, it would be about the right length! ;)

Agreed!  O0

“Eyuh.”
Elizabeth77
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2016, 07:20:59 PM »

Better late, than never!  I finally got to watch Paint Your Wagon today.  It surely doesn't get shorter with time.  I still like it, but I'll admit it's really not because of the music.  I think they would have done much better just telling the story and leaving out all those interminable songs.  I was reminded of why I chose to be identified with Elizabeth.  I really like her and wish there had been more character development.  I can so identify with her desire for a house and home.  More character and fewer crowds would have given this story wonderful possibilities.

"Thought I was having trouble with my adding.  It's all right now."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T