News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: camera tricks in westerns - what are yours?  (Read 867 times)
sgtchelonis

View Profile Email
« on: August 24, 2018, 05:23:33 AM »

Here's an idea for a cool camera trick. Part of this has been done before (following the arrow) but I don't think the rest of it has been fully worked out. Now imagine a Native American (Indian) pulling back a bow and you're seeing it from his elbow down to his hand. Now when he releases the bow, on the first shot, the camera follows the arrow all the way until it impales the neck of a cowboy (this camera shot has been done before). Next you see the same angle, from the elbow to the hand. Only now the camera to the hand shot is FIXED, but the arm moves, and now you see not the arrow point of view but only from the elbow's point of view as the arm stays relatively motionless in center screen (I don't think this camera shot has been done). The arm's moving though as the Indian is shooting again and again at targets off in the distance. So you see the screen moving about but the arm and bow and arrow(s) are always in the center. You get to see shot after shot after shot like this and watch bodies drop or react off in the distance. I don't think I've ever seen a movie clip quite like that before but I imagine it would be something epic to watch. What are your thoughts?
Shoot, and then next scene you see is from the victim's perspective, from the ground looking up and out and now there's dozens of Indians on horseback riding back and forth out there shooting arrows and a few maybe wagging spears... just total beautiful chaos. I SO much want to see a western like this. Think Sam Raimi (the Evil Dead director) making a Western. THAT is what I want to see SO much. Could you even imagine it?
Now I think Stephen Spielberg did a camera shot like this in his movie "Schindler's List" where the shooter's barrel was going about the compound and you'd see the barrel center screen and bodies drop off in the distance, so it's not an original idea BUT... no one's done it with a bow and arrow perspective to my knowledge so far. So it's something that's still waiting to be done in a western.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 06:03:07 AM by sgtchelonis » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 08:09:14 PM »

Sam Raimi did make a Western: The Quick and the Dead (1995). I don't think it had any shots like that, though.

sgtchelonis, we're always happy to welcome new posters here, but this area is reserved for discussion of Clint Eastwood films. I think we are going to be moving it to the Off Topic forum.

Are there any shots in Clint Eastwood westerns you particularly like? If so, feel free to post about them here: http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/index.php?board=5.0

I don't think you'll recall many trick shots, though. Clint tends to avoid shots that call attention to the artifice of filmmaking. I can't actually think of any that are at all similar to what you're describing.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T