News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Fistful Of Dollars TV Series In Development At Mark Gordon Pictures  (Read 1390 times)
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: September 29, 2020, 01:57:56 PM »

A TV series based on Eastwood's " A Fistful of Dollars" is being produced. There is no mention of any potential Eastwood involvement in the series. It's being developed as a contemporary, original retelling of the story, which is scripted by "Game of Thrones" writer Bryan Cogman.

https://deadline.com/2020/09/fistful-of-dollars-tv-series-mark-gordon-company-1234586973/#comments

I have to admit. I did NOT see this coming.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 06:22:07 PM »

As the story points out, it wasn't original material when Eastwood and Leone transformed it (though it is hardly a "shot-for-shot remake" of Yojimbo), and it wasn't original when Kurosawa filmed his version. Both movies are more or less directly derived from Red Harvest by Dashiell Hammett, and some would trace the line all the way back to Carlo Goldoni's Il servitore di due padroni, circa 1745 ... rather tenuously if you ask me.

At any rate, there has already been one attempt at a "contemporary, original retelling of the story" ... Last Man Standing (1996), written and directed by Walter Hill. It is a credited remake of Yojimbo.
The Highlander

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 01:18:29 AM »

My eyes almost jumped out when I saw a Dark Horizons headline about A Fistful of Dollars being made into a TV series.
Check it out...

https://www.darkhorizons.com/fistful-of-dollars-gets-a-tv-series-remake/
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 08:03:56 AM »

Thanks for the interesting history lesson, KC. I of course knew about ?Yojimbo,? but not the other versions of the story.
RSmith86

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 02:30:39 AM »

To be honest I can't really see this coming out as good news. Everything depends on the cast and what job the scriptwriter will do. As you might know, the last 2 seasons of GoT weren't good at all, but in this case it's something totally different. I believe Clint's son would be perfect for this role since they are quite similar to each other, but the rest is hard for me to tell. I just hope there will be no PC or cancel culture ruining this show based on a beloved classic.
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2020, 11:47:54 AM »

As usual, more recycling...Nothing original as usual .....ho hum...I'll pass....
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T