News: Coming in 2021: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Favorite Clint Eastwood Movies of the 2010s  (Read 2460 times)
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« on: January 06, 2020, 05:05:53 PM »

Just that, your favorite Clint movies of the last decade. I was going to mention this in another thread listing favorites of the decade but might as well have it as its own topic. I haven't seen Richard Jewell yet, so I'll leave it off and adjust my list later on.

1. American Sniper
2. The Mule
3. Sully
4. Hereafter
5. Trouble with the Curve
6. Jersey Boys
7. J. Edgar
8. The 15:17 to Paris

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 07:35:35 PM »

Cool topic, Doug.

1. The Mule
2. Trouble with the Curve
3. Sully
4. American Sniper
5. Richard Jewell
6. Hereafter
7. J.Edgar
8. Jersey Boys
9. The 15:17 to Paris

I always enjoy movies that Eastwood stars in more than movies that Eastwood just directs, and I think that "Sully" is the most technically proficient of the movies that he's made since 2010, and made the most out of its subject matter.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 06:59:28 AM by AKA23 » Logged
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 08:58:01 PM »

I'm only putting American Sniper which I felt was a very worthy movie. The Mule was the only other movie I thought was decent in the 2010's, but everything else I really felt were mistakes or a complete bore by Eastwood. Sully was ok. I'd have to say that Hereafter and The 15:17 to Paris are neck in neck as the worst movies in my opinion Eastwood ever made- certainly as a director. Hereafter was a fiasco and 15:17 is the only Eastwood movie I ever watched and walked out on after 30 minutes. Haven't seen Jewell yet.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 08:58:14 AM »

American Sniper is my favorite from the decade. I don't know how I'd rank them all. I haven't seen J. Edgar or Richard Jewell, and the others I've only seen once apiece, Sniper included. The bottom of the list would be The 15:17 to Paris.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 02:47:02 PM »

I havnt seen them all so in order of the ones I have seen..

American Sniper
The Mule
Trouble with the curve
Sully
Hereafter
Jersey Boys

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 04:47:16 PM »

I'm only putting American Sniper which I felt was a very worthy movie. The Mule was the only other movie I thought was decent in the 2010's, but everything else I really felt were mistakes or a complete bore by Eastwood. Sully was ok. I'd have to say that Hereafter and The 15:17 to Paris are neck in neck as the worst movies in my opinion Eastwood ever made- certainly as a director. Hereafter was a fiasco and 15:17 is the only Eastwood movie I ever watched and walked out on after 30 minutes. Haven't seen Jewell yet.

Scary enough, I mostly agree with you. American Sniper and The Mule are the only two movies from the decade I would feel comfortable recommending to anyone. Sully was okay but the premise is so thin and stretched out that I can only give Clint credit for making it as interesting as it was, but in the end it's just not that good. The 15:17 to Paris is easily the worst movie Clint has directed. At least The Rookie was dumb entertainment. I rank Hereafter a little higher because of the very good opening sequence but ultimately the story is not very intriguing and it's too long. It was not a particularly good decade in film from Clint, though I haven't seen Richard Jewell.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 08:57:01 PM »

I thought about how I'd rank them.

1. American Sniper
2. The Mule
3. Sully
4. Jersey Boys
5. Hereafter
6. Trouble with the Curve
7. The 15:17 to Paris
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2020, 07:05:48 AM »

I thought about how I'd rank them.

1. American Sniper
2. The Mule
3. Sully
4. Jersey Boys
5. Hereafter
7. The 15:17 to Paris

Hey Christopher. This is the most interesting list that I've seen so far. Thanks for participating. I'm very surprised to see that you liked films like "Jersey Boys," which Clint wasn't in, and "Hereafter" better than "Trouble with the Curve." Why is that? What was it about that movie that you didn't like?
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2020, 08:04:24 AM »

I remember thinking Trouble with the Curve was OK, and I remember enjoying those others more. I have a four pack DVD set that includes Trouble with the Curve and J. Edgar (as well as Gran Torino and Invictus), and I bought Sully when it came out. So those are the movies from this decade that I own (and yet I still haven't watched all of J. Edgar :D). The music might be why I enjoyed Jersey Boys as much as I did.

I agree that it's not a strong decade of movies overall. However they were all interesting choices, not to mention making nine movies in a decade for a man in his 80s! I was pretty skeptical about Sully when I first heard about it, but I thought it turned out well. The 15:17 to Paris might have made a good short film. I thought the train scene was well done but nothing else in the movie worked. I would place it at the bottom of Eastwood's filmography.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2020, 05:20:54 PM »

I agree that the last decade of movies has not been the most entertaining, but I think that's mostly due to Clint's consistent desire to turn away from original stories and direct almost exclusively true life stories, much of which involve American heroes. However, I agree that it's pretty impressive that he's still made 9 movies at the age of 89 years old, and is still going strong!

One thing that I noticed from reviewing this list is that, of late, as an actor, Clint seems to only be interested in starring in family dramas. "Trouble with the Curve" and "The Mule" definitely fall into that category, as do "Gran Torino" and "Million Dollar Baby," which are the only movies that he's appeared in since 2004! Why do you guys think that is? Should we be expecting a starring role in a similar type of movie with Scott Eastwood over the next few years? I know he'd love to do one with his Dad, and that does seem to be the pattern.
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2020, 07:38:34 PM »

I have not seen Richard Jewell yet, because it’s released on February 19th in France.
So, that list will probably be updated. First of all, I enjoyed all the movies Clint did in the last decade, with the exception of The 15:17 to Paris, which I see it like an experimental movie.
The train sequence was well done but too short.
The flashbacks were ok. The worst part is definitely The European trip sequence.
One of the reasons Clint made that film is because his project Impossible Odds wasn’t ready.

Here is my list:

1. The Mule
2. American Sniper
3. Sully
4. J.Edgar
5. Jersey Boys
7. Hereafter
8. The 15:17 to Paris

The Mule is by far my favorite Clint movie of the 2010s.
Seeing Clint as an actor again was just great.
Even as an older man, his presence is unique.
His performance in The Mule is as good as his performance in Gran Torino.
Clint is at his best when telling simple stories focused on human nature, with his low-key style.
Clint had new collaborations with cinematographer Yves Bélanger and music composer Arturo Sandoval.
Joel Cox was back after missing the two previous movies.

American Sniper is an other great film of the 2010s.
Bradley Cooper’s performance and physical transformation are amazing.
After several box office failures, Clint registered his biggest box office hit to date.
In the 2010s, at the US box office, it’s the only number one which is not a sequel or a superhero movie.

Sully is also great.
Technically, it may be the best film Clint did in the 2010s.
Tom Hanks gives a great and believable performance.
However, emotionally, it’s not so intense. It lacks something.

J.Edgar is underrated in my opinion.
Unfortunately, it didn’t meet its audience, despite Leonardo DiCaprio’s presence.
However, I like how Clint depicted some events of American history through that complicated man.

Jersey Boys is an other underrated film.
I have to say that I enjoyed a lot that movie.
I like the music, I like the story of that four guys who became singers and musicians, instead of being gangsters.
The first half is very funny and the last half is melancholic.

Trouble with the Curve is fine but unfortunately, the script is weak.
However, Clint’s performance is solid and has a good chemistry with Amy Adams.
But once again, the script is not so convincing. Maybe too conventional.
The scenes without Clint remind me dozens of Hollywoodian movies.
The film is not so memorable. Maybe because unlike Million Dollar Baby or Gran Torino, there’s a happy ending.

Hereafter is a curious movie in Clint’s filmography. It’s an experimental one at least.
The tsunami sequence is well done. The rest is just ok but disappointing.
Clint probably wanted to try something different.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 08:48:32 PM by Hocine » Logged
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2020, 09:21:43 PM »

I agree that the last decade of movies has not been the most entertaining, but I think that's mostly due to Clint's consistent desire to turn away from original stories and direct almost exclusively true life stories, much of which involve American heroes. However, I agree that it's pretty impressive that he's still made 9 movies at the age of 89 years old, and is still going strong!

One thing that I noticed from reviewing this list is that, of late, as an actor, Clint seems to only be interested in starring in family dramas. "Trouble with the Curve" and "The Mule" definitely fall into that category, as do "Gran Torino" and "Million Dollar Baby," which are the only movies that he's appeared in since 2004! Why do you guys think that is? Should we be expecting a starring role in a similar type of movie with Scott Eastwood over the next few years? I know he'd love to do one with his Dad, and that does seem to be the pattern.

You’re probably right, AKA23
My theory is that Clint made original stories during most of his career.
Maybe he is tired of those movies.
Maybe he thinks that at this stage of his career, he earned the right to make the films he wants to.
Maybe he is more concerned by his legacy.
I also noticed that as an actor, he is especially interested in starring in family dramas.
Those movies give him the opportunity to talk about himself.
I hope that Clint will make a movie with his son Scott but it’s not so easy: they have to find the right material.
Anyway I hope that Clint will act again in a movie.
What about his next project ?
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2020, 11:02:04 AM »

Oh well... Here's to the next 10 years :)

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2020, 12:49:01 PM »

Oh well... Here's to the next 10 years :)

After which he will be 100!  :D
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2020, 01:00:20 PM »

My clear favorite is The Mule.  I'd put Trouble With The Curve after this, I suppose.

Then it gets muddy -- but at the very bottom of the list is The 15:17 to Paris.

I like Hereafter and Sully more than most do it seems. J. Edgar was okay, but I strongly disliked Jersey Boys.

So, here's probably where I'd rank them (just according to personal preference):

The Mule
Trouble With The Curve
Richard Jewell
Sully
American Sniper
Hereafter
J Edgar
Jersey Boys
The 15:17 to Paris

AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2020, 03:53:21 PM »

Matt, thanks for sharing! It seems like our lists are pretty similar. We both like the movies Eastwood starred in the best, have "Sully" higher than most, and rank "J.Edgar," "Jersey Boys" and "15:17 to Paris" near the bottom. I think I have a soft spot in my heart for "Trouble with the Curve" since Amy Adams is one of my favorite actresses, and I enjoyed seeing Eastwood act with her. Also, like the Amy Adams character, I got a law degree, didn't like law very much, and am now doing something else that I am more passionate about.

I think for me, "Hereafter" doesn't really say anything profound about the afterlife, and I think that was what my problem with it was. I agree that the tsunami scene was the incredibly well done, but the film seemed unfocused. If there was ever a film that, to me, needed some kind of take away message, it was that one, but instead, it's kind of a meandering, disjointed film that is less than the sum of its parts. I like that it was made in more of a European style, and I did like seeing Matt Damon, but the story never really came together in a way that felt cohesive for me.

I think I would have liked "J.Edgar" better if it focused on the more consequential aspects of J.Edgar's life rather than making the focal point his love story. To me, that was a huge missed opportunity. I wanted it to delve deeper into how he created a surveillance state, had dirt on everyone, and then tried to leverage that compromising material to get what he wanted and abuse his power. But, that really historically relevant aspect of his life is in the periphery. I also didn't think the non-linear flashback story structure worked. For me, it was difficult to follow, and I think Dicaprio was miscast. Philip Seymour Hoffman would have been a better choice!

I think "Jersey Boys" would have been a better movie if Clint chose A-list actors in the principal roles rather than stage actors, and would have also have been more entertaining if Eastwood placed the music front and center rather than kind of in the background. It felt to me like a musical that was made by someone who didn't really want to make a musical but instead wanted to make a drama that had music in it, and it also didn't feel to me that Eastwood had any particular passion for the Four Seasons music. I think he probably wasn't the right director for this particular story for that reason.

In my opinion, nothing could have saved the "15:17 to Paris." I think all of us will probably have that one at the bottom!  I am loving this discussion. Keep the thoughts coming everyone!
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2020, 05:35:42 PM »

Totally agree with you on Jersey Boys..

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2020, 08:44:47 PM »

Very good observations about all of those films, AKA!
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2020, 02:01:06 AM »

I've only seen Hereafter once and there were things about it I did like, certain scenes etc..
I agree that it did have a European feel to it. I'm going to watch it again..

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2020, 06:53:57 PM »

Of the 2010’s, my favorites:

Trouble With The Curve
The Mule

Number one for me here is The Mule.  I enjoyed it so much I went to see it on the big screen three times. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“Eyuh.”
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T