News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eiger Sanction/Totem Pole shot  (Read 386 times)
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 17, 2021, 10:00:57 PM »

I recently watched the scene in The Eiger Sanction where Clint and Burt Kennedy are sitting atop the Totem
Pole in Monument Valley... This scene always takes my breath away.
How the hell did they get that shot... its truly amazing. I did wonder if the initial shot of them talking in close
up was filmed somewhere else... but the shot that clearly shows them up there, as the camera swirls away. Wow.... and no shadows from the helicopter !!
Someone must have taken some photos of the actors being lowered down onto the pole and the whole scene being set up ?

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 08:05:28 PM »

Don't you mean George Kennedy.... ?...
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 09:47:37 PM »

Oops.... yeah

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 12:40:26 PM »

At this point it could had been Burt Reynolds or John Kennedy......
LawrenceHannah

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2021, 04:53:25 AM »

Hi, I just joined you and am very happy to be here, I used to follow your forum but really want to communicate. Oh how I agree with you, the scene is wonderful. I love watching it too !!!!
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2021, 09:05:38 AM »

Welcome to the board, LawrenceHannah!
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2021, 01:26:10 PM »

G?day lawrencehannah,

Welcome to the board.

The board has all but ceased in the past few months, hopefully new members like yourself will bring it back to life.

Happy posting. :)

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2021, 11:11:52 AM »

Welcome to the board, LawrenceHannah! Always happy to chat with an Eastwood fan.
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2021, 09:43:53 AM »

Welcome to the board, LawrenceHannah!

About The Eiger Sanction: although it is uneven, it has its qualities like John Williams main theme, the climbing sequences and the general atmosphere, which is unusual for a spy film. I agree with the fact that the Totem Pole sequence was beautifully shot. Some actors like George Kennedy and Gregory Walcott have already worked with Clint. George Kennedy was in Thunderbolt and Lightfoot. Gregory Walcott appeared in Rawhide, Joe Kidd, Thunderbolt and Lightfoot and will work with Clint again in Every Which Way But Loose.

If you are familiar with Taxi Driver, the Martin Scorsese film, you can see a movie theater which indicated that The Eiger Sanction was playing in there. I think that it is in the dating sequence in which Travis Bickle (Robert De Niro) and Betsy (Cybill Shepherd) are involved.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2021, 09:28:15 AM »

If you are familiar with Taxi Driver, the Martin Scorsese film, you can see a movie theater which indicated that The Eiger Sanction was playing in there. I think that it is in the dating sequence in which Travis Bickle (Robert De Niro) and Betsy (Cybill Shepherd) are involved.
I think their date would have went better if they'd gone to The Eiger Sanction instead! :D ;D

I don't think I've ever considered how they must have had to get that shot in the movie! I don't like heights so it wouldn't be fun to stand or sit around up there. :o
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2021, 12:11:27 AM »

I think their date would have went better if they'd gone to The Eiger Sanction instead! :D ;D

I don't think I've ever considered how they must have had to get that shot in the movie! I don't like heights so it wouldn't be fun to stand or sit around up there. :o

Yes, The Eiger Sanction could have been a better choice :)
On the other hand, I am not sure that Betsy would have appreciated the way that women were depicted in this film.
So, who knows ? :)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T