News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Clint Eastwood Double Features Ideas  (Read 1071 times)
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: November 16, 2021, 01:22:33 PM »

Greetings, and welcome. I want to play a game.  8)

I?ve often thought about what would make good Clint Eastwood double features.  Once I completed my collection years ago, that came easy and more interesting over time as he released and continues to release  more movies.  I was going to post a list but that would be more fun for me than anyone else and thought it would be a good idea to include others.

So, we?ll start with the rules.  I?ll be the gamekeeper.  I?d say moderator, but that just doesn?t feel right.  In light of that, I am dedicating this post to KC.  I think it?s something she would?ve enjoying participating in. 

We?ll begin with the first post after this.  Give me any Clint Eastwood movie and I?ll respond with what I think would be a good companion film for a double-feature viewing.  Originally, I was going to limit this to his starring-only projects, but don?t want to offend anyone.  Keeping that in mind, I?ve decided to expand it to every movie he?s starred in since he began his career all the way up to present day.  So, this means Revenge Of The Creature to Cry Macho.

Please don?t post after the first person because it will be too difficult to keep track if there are many.  The goal here is for me to reply and that opens the door for further discussion on the two films paired together.  How about we do this for a period of one week for each pairing?  I think that will be enough time for others to join in.  It will be an open discussion to agree, disagree, share thoughts, insights and so on.  Not in any way intended to be a debate.  No, I think we could have a lot of fun with this, potentially for a long time.

So, please join me and I hope all is well with you all. :)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 06:30:38 AM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 04:18:07 PM »

Breezy
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2021, 01:22:28 AM »

This sounds fun..
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 05:04:01 AM by Gant » Logged

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2021, 06:23:47 AM »

Week 1:  November 16-22, 2021

Breezy

Good one, Perry! 👍🏻 Great start! 🙂

The Bridges Of Madison County.  This is the first movie that came to mind for me, obviously for the subject matter. 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 06:34:11 AM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2021, 06:24:34 AM »

This sounds fun..

Thanks, Gant.  I did see your suggestion and that?s another good one.  We can use that one next week.  🙂

“Eyuh.”
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2021, 04:34:34 PM »

You know something Jed, I probably would had picked Play Misty For Me since it is a warped romance If you want to call it that) compared to Breezy.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2021, 06:15:28 PM »

You know something Jed, I probably would had picked Play Misty For Me since it is a warped romance If you want to call it that) compared to Breezy.

I can see that as a good double feature pairing, Perry.  They?re only 2 years apart, after all 👍🏻

“Eyuh.”
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2021, 01:13:42 PM »

I like this idea for a game. I think that both "Play Misty for Me," and "The Bridges of Madison County" would be good pairings for "Breezy". Bridges is what immediately came to mind for me, but I think all three have something in common, and that is that they all, in some fashion, depict dysfunctional or maladaptive relationships. The age difference between the male character and Breezy is several decades, which likely means that the relationship really does not have a sustainable long term future. Additionally, the Breezy relationship is more of an infatuation than a deep love. The male character seems to actively avoid meaningful intimate relationships, potentially due to being scared or insecure about whether those relationships could be sustained, which is one of the reasons some men choose much younger women. This is another sign of a dysfunctional relationship.

The relationship in "Play Misty for Me" is doomed to fail for several reasons. Firstly, the Dave Garber character is engaged in another relationship with a woman at the time, and his heart is with her. Secondly, the woman is psychotic. Thirdly, the Garber character is emotionally unavailable, while Evelyn is extremely emotionally needy. Those personality types are incompatible with each other.

The relationship in Bridges is also dysfunctional. Firstly, Francesca is married to another man, and has children and a husband that she loves that she is not going to abandon to live selfishly with Robert, even if she seeks more excitement in her life. That is inconsistent with her character, and both of them have to know that before they even begin a relationship. Secondly, there is a pretty big age difference between the characters. Eastwood was 65, while Streep was 45, although in the context of the film, this was not a concern for the characters. Thirdly, Robert is also kind of an emotionally unavailable guy, while Francesca is also emotionally needy because she has not had her emotional needs met by her husband. Robert craves adventure, while Francesca wants stability. If Francesca were to abandon her family to be with Robert, she would feel incredibly guilty, and begin to resent him for what she has lost. The relationship can't succeed for that reason.

Although it may not be immediately obvious from a surface level examination of the films, these films all portray dysfunctional relationships of one kind or another, and that is one of the main reasons that none of them are depicted as being able to work long term in the films.

Eastwood has actually only played a happily married man once, and that was in "Space Cowboys." Even during that film, the relationship was a very peripheral part of the film that was not delved into with any depth. I find it psychologically interesting that Eastwood always portrays men who are not happily married. I have always thought this may be because this mirrors his own life. Although he has been married twice, both marriages failed, and many of his relationships are with women decades younger than he is.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2021, 06:30:57 AM »

Thanks, AKA23.  I very much enjoyed reading your post and agree with everything you said.  As I was reading, I was coming to the same conclusion as you regarding Clint not playing a happily married man often in his films.  William Munny from Unforgiven comes to mind, too.  I think it can be said he was happily married before his wife?s passing but then again, that aspect of his character?s background wasn?t portrayed on film.  I guess the same could be said for Harry Callahan as well.  I agree, it is interesting that we?ve only seen him portray a happily married man in Space Cowboys in all the years on film.   
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 09:16:05 AM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2021, 08:40:26 AM »

Wow, a week has already gone by.  Gant, would you like to put in your suggestion now?

“Eyuh.”
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2021, 10:01:33 AM »

I don't know if I get how this is supposed to work. Someone mentions a movie and someone else says what movie would make a double feature with it, and then there's a week to discuss the pairing, or for people to mention other ideas of what to pair with the original movie?
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2021, 11:11:28 AM »

I don't know if I get how this is supposed to work. Someone mentions a movie and someone else says what movie would make a double feature with it, and then there's a week to discuss the pairing, or for people to mention other ideas of what to pair with the original movie?

Hi Christopher.  Sorry for any confusion.  The idea is that one person posts any Eastwood movie from his entire career, including the ones he appeared in during the 1950?s and I post what I think would be a good companion for a double feature.  That opens the door for discussion, including thoughts by others in what they would think would make a good double feature on the original post.  I figured a weekly time frame would be suitable but prior mentions can be revisited any time.

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2021, 11:16:50 AM »

Week 2:  November 23-29, 2021

White Hunter, Black Heart

Gant, I hope you don?t mind my going ahead and posting your idea. 

For me, I think Honkytonk Man would make a good pairing.  Both are interesting stories about interesting men.  Both are on a quest to accomplish something they desire and want very much.  Both took a while to grow on me but I enjoy revisiting these now.

So, all, what say you?  Agree, disagree?  Another film in mind that you?d watch as a double feature with Gant?s posting?  I?m curious to read your comments.  I hope you?re all doing well.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 04:17:31 PM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2021, 11:50:07 AM »

A Perfect World.

This is another film that I think would make for a good pairing with White Hunter, Black Heart.  It?s a thought provoking character study. 

“Eyuh.”
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2021, 12:48:27 PM »

Cool Jed?. I like the idea of Honkytonk Man and White Hunter personally.. I saw both of these at the cinema and both looked great up on the big screen.
Honkytonk Man has become one of my fave  Eastwood movies and White Hunter is a little gem?

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2021, 12:13:10 PM »

Thanks, Gant.  I missed Honkytonk Man on the big screen.  Had I not gone out of my way, I would?ve missed White Hunter, Black Heart.  I agree, it looked great on the big screen.  I?m sure I?d have come away with the same impression with Honkytonk Man, too.

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2021, 12:16:50 PM »

So, here we are at week #3.  Would anyone like to submit another idea? 🙂

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2021, 06:59:56 PM »

Week 3:  November 30-December 6, 2021

Ok, I?ll post one of my ideas.

Thunderbolt & Lightfoot / The Eiger Sanction

I think this would make for a good double feature.  George Kennedy appeared in both with Clint and I enjoy both characters he played.   I like that they came out back to back as well. 

Do you agree that these two make a good double feature pairing, or no?  Which film would you watch with Thunderbolt & Lightfoot?  How about The Eiger Sanction? 
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 08:17:00 AM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2021, 08:56:36 AM »

I like the idea of the two George Kennedy movies back to back, plus I like both movies. Thunderbolt and Lightfoot is one of my all time favorites, and it's probably the meanest I've ever seen George Kennedy in anything.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2021, 09:33:04 AM »

Re: White Hunter Black Heart, I'd agree with those who suggested Honkytonk Man/. This is because I tend to think of Eastwood films thematically, and for me, both films are about self-destructive impulses that derail talented men who would otherwise be successful, but who are often stymied in their otherwise productive efforts due to their inability to put aside their obsession in favor of focusing on their work.

A Perfect World didn't come to mind for me, because I think they are thematically quite dissimilar. I do agree that they are both character studies, so in that particular way, there is some commonality between them. Both involve an in depth exploration of both men, their motivations for doing what they do, etc, but A Perfect World doesn't contain the obsessiveness angle that is common to both White Hunter and Honkytonk Man.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T