News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rawhide episodes shown on tv now are incomplete - are uncut versions available?  (Read 2842 times)
Fan

Rawhide is the best! buy it!

View Profile Email
« on: July 07, 2003, 09:10:04 AM »

I know about the Columbia house (these are uncut! 50 episodes) and also the 6 from Fox (uncut!) I'm after the other 170 episodes.
I have been watching the Rawhide episodes on tv, but I think they are cutting out a few extra minutes to fit in commercials.  (originally each episode is 52 minutes) 8 minutes of commercials in 1 hour -- but they are only showing about 44 minutes an episode now.( to fit in more commericals no doubt)  
I got an old copy of the same episode (Gold Fever) from another collector of Rawhide (taped from FX ? who knows how long ago) and I noticed a scene that was not show in the airing of 'Gold Fever' about two weeks ago.  
So they must be cutting out some of these old scenes when they broadcast now.
Is there any way to get the ENTIRE episode UNCUT for the episodes not offered by Columbia House or Fox? The stations that air these things must have the whole cut, but I wrote to them and they said they don't sell the tapes.
It looks like I might be stuck with whatever they show on television now.  Any ideas?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2003, 09:20:05 AM by Fan » Logged
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2003, 05:06:01 PM »

Hi Fan ,

One thing is for sure they will be presented to the tv station complete as that will be in the contract. However once the tv network has them they are entitled to do basic editing which includes that squeezing the end titles to one side and playing a trail and talking through them ( boy do I hate that  >:( )

Channel four here in the UK showed them complete with only 2 commercial breaks.

Did you contact Columbia house about DVD releases ?

Philo .  

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
Fan

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2003, 09:45:28 AM »

Hello Philo! Yeah, I contacted them. This is my message to  Columbia and their reply:

My message to Columbia:
I heard that Columbia may release the Rawhide series (some episodes?/ all?) on DVD! Is that true? Any information appreciated. I'm interested in
Rawhide on DVD.

Their reply:
Since we continually add new
selections to our inventory, please watch future
printed materials as well as our website for
these selections.

Rawhide series on DVD.

If we may be of further service, please let us know.

Sincerely,
Manny Diaz
Customer Service
-------
so they didn't really say anthing about it. check their webiste? nice. Here I am wanting Rawhide on DVD.

Even if I can't get Rawhide on DVD, I'd like to get the other 170 or so episodes of Rawhide uncut on VHS, but it looks like maybe I can't because I emailed Columbia about selling VHS tapes and they said [go to Amazon.com ]
I can't believe they won't sell all the Rawhides because there are so many of them, it's a lot of good viewing.  At least they show them on the Hallmark Channel, but they are about 43 minutes instead of the 52 minutes they should be.
I did find one guy who is a private collector who has most of the 217 episodes, but I bought one from him, and they are cut too! It's kind of funny becuase they cut out different scenes , so if you compare his version of 'Gold Fever' to mine, you'll notice some scenes in his I don't have, and a few scenes that are in my copy that he doesn't have.  And there is a big problem with my buying the episodes from him, and that is that the quality of his tapes is bad. ( it's a copy of a VHS copy) , and for some reason it looks like a third copy.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2003, 09:55:25 AM by Fan » Logged
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2003, 03:04:50 PM »

The problem is it ran for so damn long and therefore there are so many episodes .

I think the only other hope is that you pick up whatever you can on video and in the future DVD and look out for another channel than may screen them complete .

I am not even sure if our tv channel showed them all .

Philo .

Fan

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2003, 10:58:30 AM »

Philo,
'The problem is it ran for so damn long and therefore there are so many episodes .' ???

No way! It's not a problem that there are a lot of episodes! That's a good thing! I just wish they were available.  

« Last Edit: July 11, 2003, 10:59:03 AM by Fan » Logged
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2003, 01:11:02 PM »

We totally agree Fan , I was seeing it from a company point of view it is a lot to release and money to be made back .

Philo .

Fan

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2003, 01:13:43 PM »

ok. I see. interesting. Maybe it is a money issue. (the reason why they aren't converting them to DVD).  It just makes me angry  >:( when I see fifteen DVDs for the entire Star Trek nonsense or other stuff. I think you can get all the Prisoner stuff on DVD, it's like a war chest of them on DVD. ... but they don't convert Rawhide. Why do they convert that and not Rawhide? Maybe they don't think enough people will buy it. (like you were saying)
those money grubbing @@@ tards!
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2003, 01:57:21 PM »

Well I have been very lucky and restored some of the classic British series that I have long admired since I was a little boy .

The thing I can confirm (and I am sure Lt Briggs will back me up here) is that retoration film to film or film to VT is very costly.

I found out last week that one of the series I worked on has been released worldwide and has made £6.5 million for it owners, not bad for a 34 year old show.

To do the whole of Rawhide would be not too bad if they already have decent masters.

Wait and see time , I guess .

Philo .  
« Last Edit: July 16, 2003, 01:58:49 PM by philo » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T