News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Clint doesn't want to act anymore"  (Read 37519 times)
the stranger

View Profile Email
« on: July 13, 2003, 07:09:04 AM »

Well, Matt and myself have been sobbing secretly into each others shoulders off the board :'(
So I guess it is about time to reveal some pretty sad news to the board...
From Woman Magazine July 14th 2003
Clint Eastwood Interviewed by Jan Janssen
From the Sub heading:
"Clint has decided the time has come to choose just one side of the camera.And unfortunately, he's going to stay behind it."

From the Interview:
Q: Why don't you want to act anymore?
A: "After working on so many films over nearly 50 years, you begin to lose your enthusiasm for being on a set, waiting around and having your hair and make-up fussed over. It's become a job, which isn't what you want to hear yourself thinking. I used to be very driven when it came to acting. I was pretty intense when I prepared myself for a part even though I generally played fairly cool and laid-back characters. I always wanted audiences to feel there was some underlying tension beneath the surface."

So, is this a direct answer to a direct question, it seems that way, it's from the mans lips.
I knew this day would come, and as Matt said, it's going to break a few hearts. I couldn't agree more.
During this interview Clint also mentioned about the dubbing on GBU, which I will post in that forum a little later..
Sad news, it would be interesting to hear members comments.
-Stranger-

When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!
eustressor

Undeterred.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2003, 07:18:53 AM »

"All good things..."

There is some consolation in the fact that we still have his unparalleled directing efforts to look forward to, beginning with Mystic River in a few short months...

Thanks for sharing this news, Stranger.
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2003, 07:19:17 AM »

Well for me it means my collection will be coming to an end . I don't really care for the films in which he does not appear.

They are solid features but they are not the same .

Sad news , but this was my first thought.

Philo .

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2003, 07:36:10 AM »

They are solid features but they are not the same .

I agree.  I'm looking forward to seeing Mystic River, but not with the same enthusiasm I felt anticipating the release of Blood Work.

I'm going to hold onto the small ray of hope that although Clint has said he doesn't want to act anymore, that a role may come along someday that he'd really want to portray and he could always change his mind.  If not, we've got forty years of his performances to watch over and over again.  
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2003, 07:41:31 AM »

Well, it was a great run that's for sure...

I'm sure if the right cameo came along at the right time for him he might consider doing it...

misty71

I'm a guitar player

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2003, 07:41:52 AM »

:'( this is a sad day.
I agree with Philo, Im also more exited about films he acts in than film he directs.My collection will probably end with bloodwork too.

You know, thats what I find so sad....he had to end it with bloodwork?I mean, I dont know, I wish hed make just one more you know, so he could go out in style, instead of going out as "the man with a new heart"

*sighs*oh well, I guess it couldnt go on forever...I was expecting this to happen sooner or later :-\

"I've never had a problem with drugs. I've had problems with the police."
 Keith Richards
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2003, 07:41:54 AM »

Thanks for saying that Matt ,

When reading back my post it sounded a bit harsh, your Mystic river / Blood work example was exactly what I was trying to say .

Philo .

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2003, 07:49:38 AM »

Eastwood has been saying this sort of thing in interviews since around the time of Unforgiven ... coincidentally or no, a film like his upcoming Mystic River in which his directorial talents were showcased and for which the advance word from the critics was particularly good. I wouldn't take it too seriously, especially considering the venue of the bulletin. I mean, come on ... Woman Magazine?  ???
« Last Edit: July 14, 2003, 04:24:12 PM by KC » Logged
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2003, 07:58:28 AM »

I wasn't going to comment on Women magazine . I agree KC since the 80's in certain interviews he has said that he will see himself on the screen one day and that will be that .

I am not sure if that day has come , it may have .

Philo .

the stranger

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2003, 08:12:20 AM »

Well obviously Clint choose to give this interview to Women Magazine... ever stop to consider that KC?

I find it increasingly hard to post anything these days, because of the negative criticism of some.

What the hell does it matter what Publication it is from, these are Clints own words, which does not seem to be good enough for some. To be honest, I would not care if the Beano Interviewed Clint, I would be more interested in his comments from within that interview..

This was an interview from Clint by that particular publication, it is not a "Hello" or "OK" magazine which concentrates on cheap tabloid exploitation.

I just don't know why I bother sometimes..
The attitude around this place stinks of $#!t sometimes!
No wonder we have so few people posting these days...
-Stranger-
« Last Edit: July 13, 2003, 11:02:22 AM by KC » Logged

When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!
misty71

I'm a guitar player

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2003, 08:16:41 AM »

:o

Keith Richards
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2003, 08:19:46 AM »

Hey Stranger ,

I understand how you feel . Women magazine to us here in the UK is a little more serious than the title sounds to our friends over the water.

I have some copies from over the years that have featured him and who knows maybe this interview was the one that caught him when he was wanting to make that statement a fact.

Time will tell my friend , call me in the cutting room when you get in .

Philo .

the stranger

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2003, 08:20:51 AM »

Yeah, but do you agree with the comments misty, that's the important point here..?
-Stranger-

misty71

I'm a guitar player

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2003, 08:23:29 AM »

I agree that if Clint agreed to an interview for that magazne, he must feel that the magazine is a good one, otherwise he would have just chose some other place to express himself.
 I have never read women magazine, and you cant judge a magazine just by its title, but Im sure if Clint chose to present his views there, it cant be all bad ;D

Keith Richards
the stranger

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2003, 08:25:16 AM »

EXACTLY misty, thank you for seeing the light :-*
-Stranger-

misty71

I'm a guitar player

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2003, 08:26:54 AM »

now lets all just kiss and make up (or at leats shake hands) and hope that clint acts again ;D

Keith Richards
the stranger

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2003, 08:28:40 AM »

I have decided not to post the section of the interview regarding Clints comments on his recent dubbing of GBU, as this magazine is obviously not good enough to quote from..
-Stranger-

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2003, 08:32:27 AM »

The quote within a quote feature doesn't work well, but this is Clint from the article Stranger posted:

"After working on so many films over nearly 50 years, you begin to lose your enthusiasm for being on a set, waiting around and having your hair and make-up fussed over. It's become a job, which isn't what you want to hear yourself thinking. I used to be very driven when it came to acting. I was pretty intense when I prepared myself for a part even though I generally played fairly cool and laid-back characters. I always wanted audiences to feel there was some underlying tension beneath the surface."

When I read that, I immediately thought of Blood Work, which to me lacked that "underlying tension beneath the surface".  My impression of watching that film was that to Clint it was just a job, done to get another film in the can, and there was no love or burning interest in the project.  So reading Clint's comments "It's become a job..." etc. don't seem that hard to believe.  Now, if you loved Blood Work, maybe it's easier to write this off as more of the same old same old.
misty71

I'm a guitar player

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2003, 08:35:57 AM »

I agree Matt.(I agree a lot this morning ;))
He didnt seem to have that something special he had, that made him above average, maybe the candle has just burned out. He seemed...I dont know how to say this, he seemed just tired.
 but still, maybe a good script could revive the old flame again ;D

Keith Richards
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2003, 08:39:41 AM »

;D The problem was... he was supposed to look tired in Blood Work, which is why I can't really complain about a lackluster performance, but I did feel the whole film was pretty uninspired from the casting to the script and most of the acting.  You wouldn't see scenes as poorly made in films like White Hunter, Black Heart, Bridges, A Perfect World as the one where McCaleb found Graciella and her nephew in that scene toward the end, and they look up and say "Hi" with a smile.  That should have been reshot.  God.  It just makes you think... where's the interest in this project?  Getting it to the screen.  That's it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T