News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which movie would you see?  (Read 4033 times)
GBU

Name's Ash. Housewares.

View Profile Email
« on: September 01, 2003, 07:55:33 PM »

If you could see one Clint movie in an IMAX theatre what would it be?  ??? I would like to see, as you can tell by my name, GBU.

If you don't know what an IMAX theatre is it is a theatre with the screen about 5 stories tall and 200 feet wide. It is HUGE!!!!! :o I think the world's largest.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2003, 07:56:39 PM by The Good, Bad, and the Ugly » Logged

You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N.
~ Dazed and Confused
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2003, 08:09:13 PM »

The IMAX Experience is the world's most powerful and involving film experience. With breathtaking images up to eight stories high and wrap-around 12,000-watt digital sound, IMAX technology takes you to places only imagined.

Anyway, I would love to see The Good, The Bad or The Ugly on an IMAX screen. My God, I don't know if its possible for that movie to get any better, but if it is, IMAX is the answer.
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2003, 08:24:41 PM »

Actually Imax would do GBU no favours at all.

The Techniscope process that it was filmed in consists of only two perf negative half of normal feature films. That is why there is grain to the image on the original release prints. If you blew that up for Imax you would have to issue golf clubs because golf ball size is what the grain would be. At 170 mins + not a nice image to savour.

If you are talking Imax then stick to a film shot on big neg , such as Where eagles dare , Kelly's heroes or ........ Paint your wagon.

Now we are talking

Philo .

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2003, 09:17:46 AM »

This is a good question.... I reckon out of all the Eastwood films I never got a chance to see at the cinema I'd go for Outlaw Josey Wales. Providing it was gonna look good.  ;)

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Lt. Briggs

From the Crossroads of the World

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2003, 10:00:34 AM »

To see a regular  35mm film on an IMAX screen is the worst place to see the movie.  People think they are getting more picture because on that large screen and sound system.  But you are not getting anything more.  The newspapers and theatre company advertise on the IMAX screen. The only films that look outstanding on an IMAX screen are only IMAX Films.  Its like watching an 8mm (home movie) on a regular move theatre screen. The image area on an IMAX frame is about 3" x 2" (15pref) and a regular 35mm frame is 1/2" x 3/4" (4 pref)
.  A few of the studios have released a few films in the IMAX format (Matrix, Beauty & the Beast, Apollo 13, Star Wars Eps 1 & 2). Those films had their negs, blown up and were re-edited for the IMAX format.  
You are Never going to get a regular 35mm picture to look like the IMAX Experience.  A regular 35mm film is never going to use all the IMAX screen.

If you are talking IMAX then stick to a film shot on big neg, such as Where Eagles Dare, Kelly's Heroes or.........Paint Your Wagon

Now we are talking

All three of those films were shot in regular Panavision Scope format.  They were never shot in big neg format.
They were blown up to 70MM format for the cinema.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2003, 10:02:29 AM by Lt. Briggs » Logged

I hate to walk up to a door with Harry.
To many people don't like him.
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2003, 11:13:15 AM »

Well, I know I dont get more of a picture, but I'm just going to assume that the question was IF you could see any movie of Clint, despite problems, which would NOT be present, which one would it be.
Lt. Briggs

From the Crossroads of the World

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2003, 12:15:51 PM »

My guess that maybe "Josey" or "Eagles" might work to see.  And maybe "Firefox" , for the most part it would be like watching a great Letterbox version.  

The best places to see films are in theatres. That they were intended for large single screen houses of the day.  I work in the film industry, so I get directors, producers and editors that tell me about how bad their films look on that type of screen.  

So in the newspaper ads that state special IMAX print of a regular movie.  All it is, is the Lab printed it lighter.   Its the same thing the labs do for Drive-In prints.

I hate to walk up to a door with Harry.
To many people don't like him.
dane with no name
Member Extraordinaire

I dont think it's nice you're laughing...

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2003, 04:55:35 AM »

i would go for josey wales or GBU. Maybe space cowboys since i resently saw 2001, a space odysse in IMAX and it blew me away,  :o wondered what the space scenes in SC would look like
Eric

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2003, 06:56:44 PM »

GBU, Every WHich Way But Loose, Space Cowboys, Unforgiven, The first Dirty Harry. Oh yeah, and the Eiger Sanction.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2003, 06:57:54 PM by Eric » Logged

"  Pope......I think it's only fair to warn you....I'm going to have to waste you a little...."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T