News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eastwood playing Eastwood  (Read 2149 times)
FallenHero

Ain't never kissed my horse

View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 01, 2003, 01:12:32 PM »

Hello all. Been peeping in through the swinging doors of this fine establishment for some time now. Finally had the nerve to step inside. So while I’m waiting for the bartender to serve me, I’ll just mention that Thunderbolt and Lightfoot started it all for me back in 74 at the local cinema. Liked that film very much, but have to say it’s the saddle where I really like to see Clint. Right then, getting to the point of my first post, I’ll use John Wayne to help me along here. Mostly, whenever people went along to see Wayne that’s exactly who they wanted to see, John Wayne playing John Wayne. Now I wonder for the most part, is it the same with a Clint Eastwood movie? Certainly Clint’s been a lot braver in the variety of roles he’s taken on, and I think we’re all richer for it, but that doesn’t change my question. Oh, here comes that barman with my glass of milk!  :)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2003, 01:55:55 PM »

Hi FallenHero, glad to see that you've been reading the board and have decided to join in the discussions here. Welcome!  :)

The first couple of Eastwood films I saw were westerns, and as much as I love most of his films, it's the westerns that I'll always love the most. After seeing a few of those, I saw some of the Dirty Harry films next.  Watching all these "macho" roles, or "Clint being Clint" (as you put it) I grew up believing that Clint Eastwood was the coolest actor, and became a huge fan.  Then, I searched out the lesser played films on television (no VCR or DVD back then) and came upon some of his softer films, like Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, Bronco Billy, and the Which Way films, and I admit... I thought they were a little bit of a let-down at the time. They certainly weren't my favorites and part of it was that this wasn't the Clint I was used to or expecting.

Well, that was my experience watching Eastwood as a teenager. I'm nearing 40 now (oh God, I've never said that before) and I find that these "softer" films, although they're not "Clint being Clint," are some of his best works. Okay, maybe not the Which Way films, though I have grown to have more respect for them now than when I was a kid.  But Bronco Billy and Thunderbolt and Lightfoot have since grown to be two of my most favorite Eastwood films, and then later, when Bridges and A Perfect World were released, I added those immediately to my favorites list (okay, I have a lot of favorites. :) ) They're definitely some of his best achievements, and extremely enjoyable to watch even though they're not "Clint being Clint".

Clint's performed roles and given us films for nearly everyone, for those who love the action films, war movies, comedies, westerns, dramas, "soft" drama, and even musicals. And although Clint may seem stereotyped to more casual observers, those who have embraced his entire career see an actor who has really given us something for just about every genre, and given us great performances in every film he makes.  

Do people watch Clint to see him be Clint?  Yes, I think a lot do, just as I used to. But, I also think that those fans he makes by being Clint usually wind up watching some of his other films and accept (if not love) when Clint is sometimes "less-Clint". If that makes sense. :D

Hope that answered the question. I'll stop rambling now and let someone else answer. :)

Once again, welcome to the board.  :)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2003, 02:03:45 PM by Matt » Logged
misty71

I'm a guitar player

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2003, 02:26:21 PM »

Im glad that you've decided to join!
Im sure you'll find that this is the best Clint Eastwood Web Board around, Heck the best Web Board around, period. ;D

Now for your question, Im probably gonna repeat some stuff that Matt already mentioned, since Matt pretty much covered the whole thing ::) (kiddin') ;) But I feel like talking...

The first Clint Movie Ive ever seen was "Dirty Harry" and I guess that's 100% "clint playing clint"... To most people who are just getting familiar with his work, they see clint as a though guy with a lot of one liners.
 And I guess thats because we have a tendency to categorize things,so even if Clint has done romantic movies, comedies, dramas etc....He'll always be known as the guy who said "Go ahead, make my day" whatever he does.
 And maybe its because thats what he does best....No, thats not really how I should put it, because thats not the only thing he does best. Ah: here's what I wanna say , it's because when it comes to playing though guys with one liners, No one does it better and every time I watch an Eastwood movie, I find myself thinking of certain scenes as "Clint beeing Clint" moments,  wheter I want it or not.

And it's great to see "Clint Beeing Clint" sometimes at the most unexpected moments in his movies, because , like I said, no one does it better.

I have never thought a squint could be that powerful, but if he'd give me his, I'd run! ;D

Its sad that people tend to think of clint only as "dirty harry" or as "the man with no name" because, the more you know about him, the more you discover the variety of his work.
 And no matter what he does, what genre he ventures in, theres always a style that remains. And thats what I see as "Clint Beeing Clint"

Im not even sure I answered the question ??? ;D

oh well, Welcome Aboard! Hope we didnt scare you off with our long dissertations ;)

"I've never had a problem with drugs. I've had problems with the police."
 Keith Richards
FallenHero

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2003, 07:28:44 AM »

Thank you both for those very informative replies. I guess it was pretty much the same story for us all after getting hooked on Eastwood. Not saying there wasn’t disappointment from time to time at the cinema - but like everyone else over the years I took the good, the bad, and the in-between, without losing my faith that he would in most cases continue to entertain me. Few years ago, I took my son, then around twelve or thirteen to see Space Cowboys at the local multi-plex – his mother and sister watched something else. Must admit he went in dragging his heels, seeing as his other choices were seemingly worse. But he really enjoyed the film, much to his own amazement.  He isn’t a Western fan either, but he also enjoyed Dance With Wolves after I put it on one evening. I’ll keep working on him. Maybe an evening of spaghetti will do the trick  . . . .   :)
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2003, 09:00:01 AM »

I think when you begin to see his more artistic films, you begin to realize there's more to him than squinting and shooting bad guys in the back, and you can go back and watch those action, "Clint being Clint" films with more appreciation.  At least for me.  

FallenHero, you might try The Outlaw Josey Wales on your son ... it seems to be a western that all people of all ages enjoy.  And if he liked Dances With Wolves, I'm betting he'll like it a lot.  

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
FallenHero

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2003, 11:32:53 AM »

That’s a good idea, Doug. Josey Wales just might be the one to go with. As with  Dance With Wolves, it’s got a cracking storyline along with the good visuals. Was going to get A Fistful of Dollars on DVD and start him with that, but it may look a bit too dated for his age group. Better to go with something a little more modern (Yes I know, only 25 odd years old, lol) that’s more likely get him hooked. Saving Unforgiven until he’s ready. Don’t want to spring that one on him at this stage.  ;D
bdc28
Classic Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2003, 02:59:14 PM »

Hey Fallen, appropriate name for someone venturing into a bar. I usually fall from the bar too. :)

Another thought, to add to Matt's and Misty's. Eastwood also matured as his movies did. When he did FISTFUL, FOR A FEW, GOOD THE BAD, he was  younger, brash. It was enjoyable to watch.

If you notice though, Clints movies seem to mature with the man, both in the content, and the performances. Even the movies people thought were TOTAL stinkers, Ive pretty much enjoyed. For example, a movie he did with Burt Reynolds called CITY HEAT. Everyone hated that movie. Personally, I cracked up at watching Clint parody himself. Being TOO silent, his firearm being WAAAAY too big.

I guess, what Im saying is, in almost all of his movies, you see Clint being Clint. But there is alot more to him than the easiest to swallow. The lean mean guy is easy to fall in love with, he captivates you within a couple of seconds.

His lesser movies though, like BRONCO BILLY, and PLAY MISTY FOR ME, where he wasnt "tough Clint", you have to actually follow the movie, and not be enamored by one character. Cause if you really think about it, those kind of movies, ultimately, are kinda thin.

Spaghetti westerns were done to death, and no one could do them like Clint. OH THEY TRIED!!!! God did they try! Couldnt do it. Why? No Clint. Sometimes, it takes just one component to make a movie magic.

A perfect movie to prove this point is TOMBSTONE. People watch the movie, and those who DO like it, like it because of Val Kilmers portrayal of Doc Holliday. Honestly, the movie sucked otherwise.

"I once shot an elephant in my pajamas. What he was doing wearing my pajamas I have no idea..."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T