News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Clint Eastwood: Gut Instinct (A&E's "Biography") News at Last...  (Read 9556 times)
the stranger

View Profile Email
« on: September 20, 2003, 02:26:38 AM »

At long last, something to report on the new Doc'.
Here's a Synopsis sent to both myself and Philo:

CLINT EASTWOOD:  GUT INSTINCT

"Go ahead.  Make my day";  Clint Eastwood made the line famous in Sudden Impact (1983), a film he starred in, directed and produced.  In his remarkable career, Eastwood has achieved a level of prestige that few in Hollywood can match.  Highlights from films such as Unforgiven (1992), Dirty Harry ( 1971) and Mystic River (2003), as well as home movies, behind-the-scenes footage and interviews with Eastwood, his family and contemporaries such as Quincy Jones, Tim Robbins, Don Rickles, and Laurence Fishburne chronicle the life of actor, director, producer, musician, inn keeper, clothing manufacturer, golfer and former mayor of Carmel, California, Clint Eastwood.

Born on May 31, 1930, Clinton Eastwood Jr. was quickly uprooted from his birthplace of San Francisco as his father, Clinton Sr. desperately sought work during the Great Depression.  In 1940, the Eastwoods settled in Piedmont, California, where Clint worked countless part-time jobs to help support his family.  A handsome 6'4 teenager, he developed a passion for cars and jazz.

In 1951, 20-year-old Eastwood was drafted into the Korean War and sent to basic training in Fort Ord, California.  After befriending an actor at the Army base, Eastwood made the decision to explore the unique profession.  In 1954, with a new wife in tow, Eastwood tested and signed a contract with Universal, who saw promise in the actor's rugged good looks.  After a lackluster beginning, however, Eastwood made the move to CBS in 1959, where he landed the second lead role in the successful western, Rawhide.  

During hiatus and after the cancellation of Rawhide, Eastwood traveled to Italy to star in director Sergio Leone's spaghetti westerns, among them the heralded Fistful of Dollars (1964) and The Good, The Bad and the Ugly (1966).  After returning to the States, forming his own production company and fathering two children with his wife Maggie, Eastwood secured a role in Coogan's Bluff (1968), directed by Don Siegel, who became a lifelong mentor.  Eager to take on more responsibility in filmmaking, Clint Eastwood made his directing debut with the 1971 film Play Misty for Me.  Future directorial successes would include the commercial blockbusters Dirty Harry, Every Which Way But Loose (1978) and Sudden Impact.  Though inspired by his professional achievements, Eastwood was unfulfilled by his marriage.  His divorce to Maggie was finalized in 1984.  

Two years later, eager for another challenge and frustrated by the town's bureaucracy, Clint Eastwood became the heralded mayor of Carmel, California.  He entered office as the long-time boyfriend of actress Sondra Locke, but a bitter two-year palimony suit ensued when Eastwood left her for actress Frances Fisher, with whom he fathered a child.

After a string of box-office disappointments, Eastwood emerged victorious with the 1992 hit, Unforgiven.  The film grossed more than $100 million in the U.S. and earned four Academy Awards, including Best Actor and Best Director, both for Clint Eastwood.  The 63-year-old followed up his success with a critically acclaimed performance in 1993's In the Line of Fire.  In 1995, Clint Eastwood married for the second time.  Dina Ruiz, a TV reporter from Salinas, California, captured Eastwood's heart and graciously welcomed his extended family, which also includes a daughter by Fisher, into their life.  The happy couple welcomed their own child, Morgan in 1997.

In October of 2003, Eastwood will release his 24th directing effort, Mystic River, starring Sean Penn, Tim Robbins, Kevin Bacon and Laurence Fishburne.  Incorporating his lifelong love of jazz, Eastwood also co-wrote the music for the film, demonstrating that the ambitious entrepreneur shows little signs of slowing his pace.

Highlights include:

·   Rare behind-the-scenes footage of Eastwood directing The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976).
·   Interviews with Clint Eastwood, Dina Eastwood, his children Alison and Kyle, his mother Ruth, director Martin Scorsese, comedian Don Rickles, actors Tim Robbins, Lawrence Fishburne, James Garner, Eli Wallach, Forest Whitaker and music producer and friend Quincy Jones.
·   Rare behind-the-scenes footage from Dirty Harry.
·   Never-before-seen home movies of Clint Eastwood with family and friends from the late 1950s and early 1960s.

CLINT EASTWOOD:  GUT INSTINCT is produced by Prometheus Entertainment and Foxstar Productions in association with Fox Television Studios and A&E Network.

-Stranger-
« Last Edit: October 06, 2003, 08:57:32 PM by Matt » Logged

When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!
misty71

I'm a guitar player

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2003, 06:31:18 AM »

Awesome! thanks for the great news Stranger! ;D

I had read a little about this in some TV schedule thingy that my friend had the other day.
 Anyone knows when this will be airing?

"I've never had a problem with drugs. I've had problems with the police."
 Keith Richards
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2003, 02:44:05 PM »

is this on dvd?

or are we taliking tv

england -  its flag the St George flag
misty71

I'm a guitar player

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2003, 02:49:37 PM »

TV.
Its a biography about Clint that they're showing on A&E :)

"I've never had a problem with drugs. I've had problems with the police."
 Keith Richards
the stranger

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2003, 03:44:18 AM »

Hey Misty71!

Sorry I forget to mention the date:
from Jon Glover at Van Ness Films
Last I heard the show is airing here on October 5th.  
(That's the US.)

That's as much as I know.. ;)

-Stranger-

When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2003, 08:07:21 PM »

I'm looking very forward to seeing this, not only because it sounds like a great program, but because our very own "Stranger" and "Philo" have been involved in the project and have been working very hard on it for months now.  They may be too modest to announce their part in it, so there... I've done it!  Congratulations! ;D

Stranger, Philo, will A&E be releasing videos or DVD's of the program for purchase?

philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2003, 09:10:04 PM »

Just as Matt was posting the previous message, Stranger and I received this from the production office.

Shame the image has been reversed

Thanks again to Matt

Philo .

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
the stranger

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2003, 02:00:30 AM »

;) Thank you Matt, and my partner in crime, Philo, for putting this up (I wondered what the hell that was downloading on the incoming mail) (I had a cup of tea, and visited the bathroom before it had come through..) ;)
Thanks for putting it up for all to see.
As far as a Video or DVD release goes Matt, I really have not got a clue, if they have released any of their previous programs on any kind of home format in the pass I can't see why they would not do the same with this? But I would not take any chances, so stick that VHS in ! I will ask though Matt, and return with the answer.
At least you guys will see the finished project before us!
The wait has been torture!
-Stranger-

Meridico

"The name on the grave is Arch Stanton."

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2003, 08:55:01 AM »

It airs on October 5th?  Does anyone know what time?  I would very much like to record this.  My thanks and respect go out to the members here who played a hand in the creation.  I know it will be a great special.
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2003, 09:13:24 AM »

Sounds very interesting.  Can I ask what role Stranger and Philo played in the production of this documentary?  It must be a real thrill for both of you to be involved in such a promising production.

Re the reference to Clint directing 'Every Which Way but Loose'...  I assume that is an unintentional error?  Or did he have an uncredited role in directing it?

WKC.

vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2003, 11:14:11 AM »

don't tell me this had something to do with the bbc?

england -  its flag the St George flag
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2003, 04:33:50 PM »

No, it doesn't have anything to do with the BBC.

Jon Glover, the researcher for the documentary, posted here a few months ago to see if there were any collectors who could lend a hand supplying materials to enhance the documentary (see THIS thread).  Philo and Stranger both responded and that's how they came to be involved with the show, not through their work with the BBC.  
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2003, 04:54:06 PM »

don't tell me this had something to do with the bbc?

No , no thank god no !!!  :o

Philo .

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2003, 07:16:55 PM »

It airs on October 5th?  Does anyone know what time?  I would very much like to record this.  My thanks and respect go out to the members here who played a hand in the creation.  I know it will be a great special.

It airs at 8:00pm and is then repeated at 12:00am according to that photo above, but in a magazine I recieved to day, the October issue of 'Feature Magazine', it says it is repeated at 10:00pm.

Can anyone clarify the exact times?
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2003, 06:35:16 PM »

"Stranger" wrote Jon Glover about whether or not there would be a VHS or DVD release of the special, and got this reply. He was having a hard time posting it and e-mailed it for me to post.  Thanks, Stranger! :)

As far as the VHS and DVD question.  I do think that A&E has been selling VHS copies of certain shows for some time now.  I also think that they may even have FINALLY started selling DVD copies, I don't know how they decide what show is going to be sold and what isn't.  I am never told about any of this.  I guess it's because we are a seperate production company and not actually A&E.  The best thing I can suggest is for people to look at the A&E website 'Biography.com' - I know that they won't sell the show until after it airs.
Xichado
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2003, 07:52:23 PM »

I've noticed that by the end of the shows that A&E airs, they usually inform if the show is available for purchase.

I also noticed that the most recently aired shows are available in VHS and DVD... but at this moment I can only find the listing for Clint's Biography in VHS format :-\ (HERE).
« Last Edit: October 02, 2003, 07:27:38 PM by Xichado » Logged

"I'm an idealist. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way." Carl Sandburg
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2003, 05:35:03 PM »

It's a good thing I finally got around to this thread!

This sounds cool! Now I have two specials to tape for Sunday night.
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2003, 06:02:14 PM »

Good thing there's no A&E Canada or us Canadians would be screwed over again.

I'm glad I can at least watch something about Clint.
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2003, 04:43:55 PM »

Just reminding people, its on in 10 minutes.  ;) 8)
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2003, 06:58:43 PM »

Well, I enjoyed that.

It was very well done and very informative. I've seen alot of A&E Biographies,and I must say that that one was one of the best.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T