News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feedback on Gut Instinct (A&E's "Biography") please...  (Read 5537 times)
the stranger

View Profile Email
« on: October 06, 2003, 02:26:37 AM »

Hi,
For those of us outside of the US, could some of the members please fill philo and myself in on how the Doc' looked etc.
We'd be very Grateful. thanks in advance.
-Stranger-
« Last Edit: October 06, 2003, 08:56:33 PM by Matt » Logged

When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2003, 09:56:07 AM »

Hi, Stranger -

I did get to see the Biography last night and thought it was very good.  It took his career and life in chronological order and that was nice.......it didn't jump around.

I think you and Philo can be very proud of how it turned out. And, I did see a "Special Thanks" to both of you.  That was so neat.  I know you guys worked really hard on it and I'm thrilled that you were acknowledged.

Good job!  :D
misty71

I'm a guitar player

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2003, 12:39:07 PM »

Stranger- First of all, I wanted to congratulate both you and Philo, for working on this, as mgk said, you can be very proud 8)
 I watched it last night and I was very impressed, I had a feeling it was going be good, but the quality went beyond my expectations. It was very informative, and filled with rare footage and Im looking forward to seeing mystic river even more now.
 Ive watched many A&E biographies, and they are always good, but this one was even better.

Awesome! ;D
thumbs up,
Misty

"I've never had a problem with drugs. I've had problems with the police."
 Keith Richards
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2003, 03:07:55 PM »

I thought it was a great documentary, and I was pleased to see Eastwood's entire family involved in it. This was the first time I had seen Clint's sister, Jeanne, participate in a documentary, and I enjoyed what she had to say. Also nice to see his mother, Dina, Kyle, Alison and Frances Fisher interviewed, and of course, Clint, himself.  

This is definitely a program that you both can be proud to have been involved with, and it was great seeing your names at the end.  Great job, "philo" and "stranger" and congratulations!  :)
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2003, 07:55:36 AM »

Hi Stranger,

based on what the folk here have to say it sounds
R E A L L Y good!  
Do you know if it is being marketed at any Australian television stations, or if any Aus stations have expressed interest in it?

WKC.

eustressor

Undeterred.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2003, 11:04:54 AM »

Stranger, Philo,

Great work, guys :) I enjoyed the documentary very much. Paired with the Actor's Studio interview, it made for a memorable evening of getting to know Clint. Thanks for all of your contributions to said evening :)

I thought it looked very crisp and moved along at a steady, unhurried pace, managing to avoid any middle-of-the-special bog down which can often afflict two-hour documentaries. Well done!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2003, 11:08:22 AM by eustressor » Logged
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2003, 03:40:08 PM »

Thanks for all the feedback.

I have yet to see the show but from what you have said and some of my friends in LA have also told me, it seems like a good show.

I thought I had missed my chance when I was too late to work on Bruce Ricker's excellent Out of the shadows and then I refused to work on the UK bastardised version.

Will comment further when I should get to see it in the next week or so.

Philo .

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2003, 05:40:14 PM »

I got around to watching Gut Instinct earlier today. It was very enjoyable. I was pleased to finally see and hear Clint's sister talk.

I'm glad this special was done. I know A&E had done an Eastwood Biography several years back, but it wasn't that well prepared. In fact, it was really just Eastwood talking about his own work. I wasn't sure if they'd ever get around to a more proper edition that was actually about his life.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2003, 08:38:51 PM »

As I commented in the other thread, I never got to see this! :( I was really looking forward to it, but I don't have a TV here in my room yet, so I tried to use the lounge TV, but you can't very well monopolize the TV when its a TV for the whole floor and other people want to watch things, so I sadly didn't get to see it. If anyone knows of any way that I can see this documentary without having to pay for the DVD, I'd appreciate it :) I am quite looking forward to see how it all came out, especially because two of our coolest board members worked very hard on it! :)
william

Email
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2003, 03:35:06 AM »

Well unfortunatly for me, I missed it as well. When did it come on tv? And will it re air again?
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2003, 09:59:04 PM »

Due to a mail workers strike here in the UK, I only received my copy from the production office today.

I was pleased that the copy had been converted to Pal format, had no commercial breaks and full screen untalked through end credits.

As for the show I thought it was just great. It can sit alongside the very best of programmes made on Clint Eastwood. When I asked if he had enjoyed it, I now believe more than ever that he really had. It was balanced, didn't avoid certain things and included enough rare footage and stills to keep any fan happy.

After being asked to be involved in the BBC arena mess up of Out of the shadows, I must admit I wasn't sure how this would be. I was so pleased that everything was to a high standard and I hope that it will be seen by board members outside of the USA.

I began work on this at one of the lowest points of my life. There were many times that I received email from the production asking for certain technical infomation and it was a real effort to even reply. I was filled with worry and pressed on to try and take my mind off the fearful nights. I would be a very hard person if I did not thank our very own MGK for her support during this most difficult time.

I sadly lost my dear Mum a few weeks later.

She was a big Eastwood fan (with me around what choice did she have ;))

She would have been proud.

Philo .
« Last Edit: November 10, 2003, 09:59:26 PM by philo » Logged

Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2003, 10:46:39 PM »

After being asked to be involved in the BBC arena mess up of Out of the shadows, I must admit I wasn't sure how this would be
I haven't seen 'Out of the Shadows' yet, but please tell more...   mess up?
I began work on this at one of the lowest points of my life. There were many times that I received email from the production asking for certain technical infomation and it was a real effort to even reply. I was filled with worry and pressed on to try and take my mind off the fearful nights. I would be a very hard person if I did not thank our very own MGK for her support during this most difficult time.

I sadly lost my dear Mum a few weeks later.

She was a big Eastwood fan (with me around what choice did she have ;))

She would have been proud.

Philo .
I haven't seen 'Gut instinct yet either, but I bet she would have been proud 8).

What was her favourite Eastwood film?

Best,

WKC.

philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2003, 11:09:12 PM »

Hi Wkc ,

Thanks for your message. I was going to put what her favourite film was and felt it perhaps was a bit too much... but as you ask.
She liked a great deal of his films, but her favourite for its mixture of emotions was Thunderbolt and Lightfoot. She found the film funny in places and also very sad.

There may be a post from me about just what the BBC did to Out of the shadows. I do remember that most UK board members thought I was wrong in my opinion of the UK show until Bruce Ricker the director of the Original US version, came here on the board and among other things verified what I had said.
KC helped out on the US show and I now know how she must have felt seeing the finished programme.

If the moderators are unable to come up with anything, I will post what exactly was wrong.

Philo .
« Last Edit: November 14, 2003, 11:10:00 PM by philo » Logged

Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2003, 06:04:22 PM »

Just want to say that A&E is re-airing this tonight at 8pm and again at  12am. All times are eastern.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2003, 09:59:30 PM »

Same darn problem. People watching stuff in the lounge. I'm never going to see this! :( :( :(
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T