News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Clint on a new Dirty Harry  (Read 13413 times)
JSL

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2003, 09:08:00 PM »

I'm a big fan of the Dirty Harry series and think that the first one is easily one of the greatest thrillers of all time but I can't really see Clint doing this type of film anymore at 73.

Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2003, 06:26:59 AM »

I'm a big fan of the Dirty Harry series and think that the first one is easily one of the greatest thrillers of all time but I can't really see Clint doing this type of film anymore at 73.

I was just looking at the pictures that Brendan posted a link to from 'Mystic River', and I think that Clint looks GREAT.  Why people can't concieve of a 73 year old Harry is a bit depressing in a way.  Do our heros just stop being heros in their old age?  I think not.  Strength and Honor and character do not give way with age.  The Asians have it right with those movies where they venerate the old master martial artists who can whip the young punk's asses.  I say go the same way with Harry.   Are you listening Clint?  You can do it.

WKC.

bdc28
Classic Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2003, 07:19:00 AM »

This kind of reminds me of the Mike Tyson/Lennox Lewis fight.

Tyson fans were YELLING how Tyson was going to kill Lewis. People who were fans of the sport, rather than the fighters, were saying otherwise. Tyson had degraded, fought lower class fighters, was a shadow of his former self. Basically, the fans of Mike Tyson expected the Mike Tyson of yesteryear to show up for that fight.

But he didnt.

Folks, we cant ignore the obvious. Clint...as wonderful as he is, is an OLD man now. Now I know that is not fair...but you have to remember, for all intent purposes, the Dirty Harry series were action packed movies.

What is a seventy plus year old man going to do in an action film? He cant run as fast...he cant do the things he did when he made the action genre movies great.

Why set him up to fail? He just cant carry the role.

Hey, before you start lobbing bricks at me...maybe thats his view. Its unrealistic to put someone his age in an action flick.

You name ONE OTHER person his age in action flicks now as the main character. Or have EVER done it.

Its just not feasable anymore. I love him to death...but its not.

Those that believe he can...well...maybe they are looking at a Clint of yesteryear. Not the man he is now.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2003, 07:20:49 AM by bdc28 » Logged

"I once shot an elephant in my pajamas. What he was doing wearing my pajamas I have no idea..."
the stranger

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2003, 07:34:36 AM »

Yep, seems like stating the bleedin obvious doesn't it BDC... ;) ;D
Maybe the fans who are for Clint to make another Harry film, should ask themselves one simple question?

Why has Clint decided not make another Harry film, he could hire the greatest script writers in the world if he so wished...

BUT why hasn't Clint made another Harry film?

-Stranger-
« Last Edit: October 17, 2003, 07:35:42 AM by the stranger » Logged

When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2003, 09:21:59 AM »

You name ONE OTHER person his age in action flicks now as the main character. Or have EVER done it.

Its just not feasable anymore. I love him to death...but its not.
Well,

John Wayne made 'The Shootest'  when he was 69, and just  3 years before his death.  That film is considered by many to be a career highlight, and a classic swansong.

I reckon that Clint has a LOT of years to go yet before he meets his maker, so why not...

WKC.

the stranger

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2003, 10:52:48 AM »

Because it would be a step back? :-\
Because it would look like a joke?:-[
Etc etc etc
-Stranger-

When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!
misty71

I'm a guitar player

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2003, 01:03:25 PM »

I know Ive stated my opinion on this before, but since this thread seems to be going strong, Ill say it again:
 I'm 100% against the idea.
FIRST of all- if Clint ever wanted to make a 6th dirty harry, he would have done it a looong time ago. Why 20 years later? DIRTY HARRY 2003: "he's back, with a dusty magnum". There were enough useless sequels that were made this year, but this would definately be the worst thing ever. I just dont see how you can even consider this- he would be ridiculed. Fortunately, Clint knows better than to rely on self-parodies to make big bucks, and I think that is why he now chooses characters that are more suited to his age.

For those who are still considering this, just sit down for a second (well actually, I guess everyone is already seated, I can't picture anyone standing up working on a computer :P) and try and picture it. dirty harry 6. Ok..where do we go from here? what could good ole harry be doing at 73? gone fishing for his lost badge? I dont know, I just can't/dont wanna see it happen :-\
 As BDC so intelligently stated, dirty harry was an ACTION flick.

face it guys, he's too old :)
It's over for Harry

Besides, what would happen to those wonderful Dirty Harry 5 piece-Box-Sets? ;)

"I've never had a problem with drugs. I've had problems with the police."
 Keith Richards
Blu

Would you like some of Bill Carson's tobacco too ?

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2003, 08:57:16 PM »

Maybe the fans who are for Clint to make another Harry film, should ask themselves one simple question?

Why has Clint decided not to make another Harry film, he could hire the greatest script writers in the world if he so wished...

BUT why hasn't Clint made another Harry film?

-Stranger-

Among the myriad responses Clint has given to this:

1)  He's never found a writer who could write a good enough script.
    2)  It would depend on where you could take the character now  --probably to a nice quiet beach somewhere.
    3) He's too old to do "comics" anymore.
    4) That he'll never do another film about, "Mayhem in the city".  
    5) That if he ever comes back to San Francisco, it'll be about, "A photographer who meets a nice Italian woman --probably somewhere in North Beach".
    6) That Dina won't let him.  Just kidding.  I haven't heard this one --yet.

In the final analysis, I think what Clint is trying to say is that he just doesn't want to do another one.

-Blu

« Last Edit: October 17, 2003, 09:09:29 PM by Blu » Logged

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's rainin'[/b]...."
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2003, 09:55:49 PM »

Well folks,

it's been fun playing the protagonist, and fleshing this topic out.  I am not arguing 'for' another DH because I passionately want another one, but because I like to follow possibilities though to their conclusion.

I have enjoyed your responses, however I feel that you have all failed to respond to my suggestion that movie culture lacks the ability to see 'older' people as heros.
I personally feel that this is a real issue.  

What do you all think?

WKC

Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2003, 10:01:43 PM »

I can agree with your statement about how older are not portrayed as heroes, but doing it with another 'Dirty Harry' is not the answer.

Seeing an "old man" blowing people away is not the answer to that statement.
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2003, 10:12:20 PM »

I can agree with your statement about how older are not portrayed as heroes, but doing it with another 'Dirty Harry' is not the answer.

Seeing an "old man" blowing people away is not the answer to that statement.
Agreed,

but do we have to see a new DH film in the light of 'blowing people away'?  Sure, fans would expect at least one gunplay scene, but it doesn't have to be a rehash of the previous movies.
Also people are referring to DH  as an 'action' film.  Sure it does involve action, but I always saw it more as a 'cop' film (in terms of genres), and I don't think that cop films have to have lots of gunplay to be good.

WKC.

bdc28
Classic Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2003, 09:54:42 PM »

In the movie that was mentioned before, by John Wayne....it wasnt an action movie. It was a brand new story...and it was a STORY, told about the end of a gunfighters career. Therefore it could be told in a good way, there was very little violence at all.

In my opinion, Harry's character hasnt been developed enough to be able to go boldly in another direction and just "tell a tale of pain or retribution", which is the only way realistically for him to go. No one wants to pay for a story of a older Dirty Harry waiting tables to supplement his social security check.

You can only do so much, with what you have.

"I once shot an elephant in my pajamas. What he was doing wearing my pajamas I have no idea..."
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2003, 10:00:34 PM »

Hey maybe Harry could be retired from the force and he's working as a director of security at a college and spends his days chasing teens around campus.
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2003, 04:49:26 AM »

What is a seventy plus year old man going to do in an action film? He cant run as fast...he cant do the things he did when he made the action genre movies great.

Why set him up to fail? He just cant carry the role.

Hey, before you start lobbing bricks at me...maybe thats his view. Its unrealistic to put someone his age in an action flick.

Hi again bdc28,

well, having just listened to Clint's interview on BBC4, it seems that this isn't his view.  The interviewer asks him if he can see himself as the 'slightly old action man' and he responds positively, on the grounds that he can get a good script.  (I acknowledge that this was not aimed at playing Dirty Harry again).
He even goes as far as to allude to the fact that he is fitter than the character he played in 'In the Line of Fire'  10 years ago! :D when he was 63 ;)

Bye for now....

WKC.

bdc28
Classic Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2003, 05:58:47 AM »

WKC,

Again, read my posts. I dont think its unfeasable for Clint to do SOMETHING, but only with a new character.

Developing Harry at this point would be shallow and obvious. You couldnt have Dirty Harry keeping at the pace you are used to. So you would be forced to develop his character to build a better storyline, to keep pace for the long periods where there was no action.

Thats just not going to fly. Its like putting a dress on a pig (pardon the pun). Harry is a lot of things, but a fully developed character he is not. Developing his role at this stage in the game, would be seen as nothing more than beating a dead horse. Money purposes only.

There is NO point.

Big Ed Mustafa

We're not just gonna let you walk outta here..

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2003, 06:18:29 PM »

callahan goes to the nursing home.

You forgot your fortune cookie..
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2003, 06:44:32 AM »

callahan goes to the nursing home.

Dirty Harry 6 / Cocoon 3

Elderly people are mysteriously disappearing from a San Francisco nursing home, and the SFPD send Harry in undercover to crack the case.

WKC.

Jake

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2003, 11:49:01 AM »

In my opinion, Harry's character hasnt been developed enough to be able to go boldly in another direction and just "tell a tale of pain or retribution", which is the only way realistically for him to go.

I think that's the real trouble with Harry.  As I said, you really don't have much leeway with changing the character.

The sequel I would like to see is a film that just happens to have a character in it named Harry Callahan.  But then, this may or may not be a 'Dirty Harry' movie, depending on who you ask.

But arguments for an action film or thoughtful drama both presuppose that the film can only be approached seriously.  I think there's a middle ground there to do something clever, and I also think Clint is talented enough to create something of value out of a brilliant script.  Maybe he could finally spin his ultimate take on the mystery genre, while slipping in a few crowd-pleasing winks at the audience in the process?

The original question was not if another film should happen, but 'would Clint actually do another one?'  I think we have to take him at his word when he says he would if it had a brilliant script.  I realize this high standard may easily just be a way for him to avoid the issue, but then, he already has the perfect excuse for saying no in his age.

I picked Lewis, but cheered for Tyson.

There are times when it's more fun to entertain the unlikely.

As for The Shootist, now if Clint could get that director for a sixth Harry film, then we might really have something.
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2003, 09:03:00 PM »

As for The Shootist, now if Clint could get that director for a sixth Harry film, then we might really have something.  

Rest in peace Don  :'(

On the subject of Mr Wayne, he did make Mc Q which I thought was a very poor man's Dirty Harry.
It was a good example of an older man gone too far.

I would hate to see Clint involved in this sort of project.

Philo .

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T