News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who saw MYSTIC RIVER? (NO SPOILERS)  (Read 12134 times)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« on: October 15, 2003, 10:11:23 PM »

So who has seen Mystic River? This is the official thread to weigh in and let us all know what you thought of it. We welcome all thoughts and comments and even full-fledged reviews of the film, but please... NO SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD. If you feel that what you want to say about the film may spoil it for those who haven't yet seen it, then please post in our MYSTIC RIVER SPOILERS thread.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2003, 10:52:59 PM »

We were a little late starting this official NON SPOILER thread for our members to tell us what they thought of Mystic River. This post came in tonight and reminded us to start a thread. Thanks, JSL!  

I went to see Mystic River today and was totally blown away by it.   I was expecting it to be quite good since Clint is a terrific director and the reviews have been positive.   But even with that this movie still surpassed my expectations.    The 2hrs and 17 minutes just flew right by and I felt like I was watching the struggles of real people.  The film had an excellent combination of suspense and drama.   Plus Clint's film score was pretty haunting and fit in perfectly.

As much as I love Unforgiven I think that Mystic River might've just surpassed it and is now Clint Eastwood's directorial masterpiece.   I expect to see Clint get his second Oscar nomination for Best Director and hopefully he'll win.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2003, 11:03:33 PM »

I gotta agree..the movie easily surpassed any expectations I had. This is the most powerful, haunting film I've seen in ages. All the acting (without exception) was terrific. I was genuinly moved and not for a moment felt aware of the running time of the movie.

I'd be very surprised if there isn't a nomination for Clint at the next Oscars...
Looking forward to seeing it again.

Great to see our man back on top huh. ;D

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
the stranger

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2003, 09:30:39 AM »

Yes, I agree with all that Gant said, we saw it on the same night.

A terrific piece of work, I did already state, that maybe it could have been shortened very slightly, but that is a very minor detail, technically it is superb.

I've  made no secret of the fact the I think we will see an Oscar nomination for Clint, Penn and Robbins, at the very least, with maybe a few more in there.

A Must see film, I'll be seeing it again with my lady in the coming week. 8)
-Stranger-
« Last Edit: October 16, 2003, 09:31:40 AM by the stranger » Logged

When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2003, 10:19:32 AM »

I saw it with Mrs Gant at the N.F.T and tho' not a big Eastwood fan (Loved Bridges...) she thoroughly enjoyed it  and was very moved by the acting.....
Hope Mrs Stranger enjoys it to. :)

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
the stranger

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2003, 11:31:21 AM »

;D Mrs. Stranger has always been an Eastwood fan, since we grew up together at school! :) She still has a picture of Eastwood in her purse that I gave her when she was 14 or 15! :)
-Stranger-

When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!
exit00

Dying ain't much of a livin'

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2003, 01:33:34 PM »

I was lucky enough to see Mystic River over a week ago when a few cities were showing advance screenings.  Having read the book already, I can say that Clint and screenwriter Helgeland (along with all the others who usually work with Clint like editor Joel Cox) have crafted the film masterpiece from the novel.  Everything about this movie is just perfect.  All the actors are so good but Tim Robbins is especially haunting in his role.  Everybody is talking about Sean Penn (who is really great in this movie), but Robbins to me is the guy who really hits the homerun.  The movie is 2 1/2 hours long but doesn't drag a second, even though the story is told in a slow pace.  And I got more of the murder mystery from the film than from reading the book.  Just a great screenplay by Helgeland and masterful direction by Clint.

People are comparing Mystic River to Unforgiven.  I hate to compare these two because the stories are so different even though they tackle some similar themes.  But for me, Unforgiven is still Clint's main masterpiece....
misty71

I'm a guitar player

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2003, 02:01:47 PM »

I just came home from the theater. 8)
Wow.
It was awesome!
This is the movie of the year, heck, of the decade. The acting, the directing, the score, everything was top notch. If I had to choose a favorite between Sean Penn or Tim Robbin's performances, I think I would have to go with Penn's , but it's a close one :).
 Time just flew right by, and I really felt I was caught up in the story.

Unforgiven or Mystic River?
umm...I'd say Mystic River :D
Great, just great.
Thumbs up Clint, you've done it again!

"I've never had a problem with drugs. I've had problems with the police."
 Keith Richards
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2003, 02:15:11 PM »

I think that this is Clint's best film since Unforgiven.

It was just damn great. Sean Penn was amazing and so was Tim Robbins. Both delivered such terrific performances. Like I said in the spoilers thread, Penn really shines in the scene where he is speaking with his father-in-law.

Everything about this film was great.

It really deserves that best director, and best picture node.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2003, 02:20:39 PM »

I'm glad to read everyone's enjoying Mystic River so much. I hope everyone will weigh in here with their comments after they've seen it.

Brendan, I didn't read your review yet in the SPOILER thread... I'm waiting to see the film first. But thanks for adding something to this thread too for those of us who are avoiding the other thread.
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2003, 02:24:17 PM »

Yeah, there's no activity over there, so I figured I'd something here, just too let everyone know I liked it.
eustressor

Undeterred.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2003, 09:04:01 AM »

I just saw Mystic River last night and...

LOVED IT!

Very good work by all involved. Very troubling. Easily Clint's best film since A Perfect World. Sean Penn's performance has been widely lauded, and rightly so, but Tim Robbins is the one to watch. There are revelatory scenes for his character where the man seems to age right before your eyes, so heavily does his burden lie. His character more than any other had to walk a fine line to avoid spilling over into stereotype. My guess is that they are going to push for Penn for a Best Actor Oscar, so my money's on Robbins for Best Supporting Actor. Although, truth be told, it reminds me a little bit of the Pulp Fiction Oscar confusion, when both Travolta and Jackson had nearly equal parts, but they pushed for Travolta for the Best Actor nod. In the case of Mystic River, both performances are equally crucial to the story, and they have a comparable share of screen time. I just find Robbins' performance more groundbreaking and amazing. We'll see...

This is one of those movies you'll be thinking about long after the haunting final pan. My wife and I discussed it enthusiastically on the late drive home. I chewed on it some more before turning in last night. This morning I wrestled with the implications further, on my way to work. It's one of those films. I'd even say Clint has a shot at another Best Picture and Best Director combo win, were this not the "high-concept", pre-ordained Year of The Ring.

There is a heckuva lot more to this movie than simply the "whodunnit". Several times throughout the movie, I'd be on the tantalizing edge of really taking in the film on its more subtextual level, and thought to myself, "I've got to see this again. I'll pick up more with each subsequent viewing".

I for one have really enjoyed Clint's more straightforward, lighter films of late. I liked Bloodwork. I loved Space Cowboys. I thought True Crime was a gem. But Mystic River delivers on the promise of Unforgiven and A Perfect World. It broods. It stands its ground and does not flinch. All in all, a terrific return to form for Clint Eastwood, THE American Director. :D
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2003, 09:23:25 AM »

My guess is that they are going to push for Penn for a Best Actor Oscar, so my money's on Robbins for Best Supporting Actor.

I think Penn will get nominated, but I feel he won't win anyway. He's snubbed the Oscars every year and he doesn't seem too really care about being nominated. So it's unlikely the Academy would give the award to someone who never shows up and won't care about having it. But, I could be wrong.
MC

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2003, 08:20:59 AM »

I finally got to see Mystic River yesterday. It is truly a fascinating film. After experiencing varying degrees of disappointment with Clint's last three films, it's a thrill to see Clint on top of his game, taking risks and delivering his best film since at least Bridges of Madison County.

Mystic River is a film that demands (and deserves) repeat viewings, so I can't really say where I rank it yet amidst Clint's filmography. But I can say that the film's powerful climax left me more shaken than any film I've seen since Requiem for a Dream (2000).

Penn and Robbins are deservedly getting lots of attention for their performances, but I was also blown away by Kevin Bacon and Marcia Gay Harden. Bacon, a solid actor but something of a journeyman, gives easily his best performance to date. Harden, terrifc in Ed Harris' Pollock, is again superb and easily deserving of a Best Supporting Actress nomination.

Like I said earlier, Eastwood's film is all about risk, and while I'm not sure I agree with all his choices (at least on first viewing), this is mesmerizing filmmaking.

A welcome return to form, and an absolute must-see. I can't wait to see it again.
Rhastus

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2003, 11:50:44 PM »

I saw it last friday( which was the first day it played here). I went to the first showing and it was pretty full for a 12:30 p.m. show.

I was really looking forward to this film and wasn't dissappointed one bit. Excellent

allycat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2003, 09:57:15 AM »

Can you believe I have to go and see Mystic River on my own tomorrow because I have no-one to go with! And I think it's shameful that in Birmingham (where I live) Mystic River is only on at one cinema, on Broad Street! You wouldn't think I live in the second biggest city in the UK would you?
Anyway I really want to see it and if I don't this week I bet it won't be on any longer. I think it's really bad that Clint's film isn't being shown at more cinemas :(

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2003, 10:18:40 AM »

Don't worry allycat, I'll go see it again tomorrow as well, alone. Now you won't be the only one.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2003, 10:18:58 AM by Brendan » Logged
allycat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2003, 12:15:00 PM »

Thanks Brendan, that's really sweet of you. I'm used to seeing films on my own sometimes because most of my friends don't have the same taste as me. The problem at the moment is that I only have one friend at home and she doesn't like anything that isn't a rom com or a chick flick (sigh). I missed Star Trek Nemesis at the cinema for the same reason. Anyway, I'll come back on here after I've seen Mystic River and let you all know what I think. Can't wait! :)

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
Mrs Stranger

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2003, 12:18:52 PM »

Finally got to see Mystic River with The Stranger on Wednesday evening.  Must say thoroughly enjoyed the film,  I agree with most people should be Oscar material.  Sean Penns performance  was fantastic. :)

"Nice day for a murder"
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2003, 06:22:39 PM »

Very good and very powerful as everyone else has said.  But for me it doesn't come close to Unforgiven, or even to A Perfect World -- but it will deserve any nominations it might receive.  

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T