News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alan J Lerner on Paint your Wagon  (Read 1198 times)
the stranger

View Profile Email
« on: October 24, 2003, 05:15:36 PM »

Here I am sitting at work, Archiving the same Old stuff, I thought?
Then I find I have an old interview with Alan J Lerner, about his career etc, they touched on Paint your Wagon for a while, interesting about the film version, he was talking about the track There's a coach coming in he said that they actually had 800 singers on location singing that song (and he was one of them),
I put on a costume and did a Hitchcock!
regarding Lee Marvin and Wanderin star it took him 3 weeks! to actually record the track in the studio,
I went into the studio and some days we would get one line! (laughter) he was terrified of the microphone, he could sing, like anybody else, if he was walking down the street or something.. but like so many people, stick them in front of a micrphone, they were terrified, and he was petrified! (laughter) In the beginning the trouble was the key of the song, it just didn't sound like Lee Marvin, so i kept saying to Nelson Riddle "drop the Key, drop the Key" and finally, in order to make it sound like Lee Marvin, it came out in a key that has never been sung before my the Human Voice! (laughter) and never will be again!

Just thought i would share that ;)
-Stranger-

When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2003, 07:53:11 PM »

I guess it would make sense that even Lee Marvin would feel insecure about his singing talent.

At any rate, I've always enjoyed his performance in that movie, and the songs he sang. 8)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T