News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Clint's Squint  (Read 6299 times)
GBU

Name's Ash. Housewares.

View Profile Email
« on: December 04, 2003, 07:18:55 PM »

I was watching GBU, again, when I noticed something. In the scene when he is telling Tuco that he is with Angel Eyes, Clint is not squinting, he is almost wide eyed. The next time you see him is outside telling Tuco "You wern't gonna die alone were ya?", then is squinting. When he played Rowdy Yates he never squinted when indoors, only he was outside on his horse or something. I came to the conclusion that Clint is sensitive to direct light.

Can anyone tell me if my guess is true?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 07:20:05 PM by The Good, Bad, and the Ugly » Logged

You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N.
~ Dazed and Confused
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2003, 08:10:31 PM »

... I thought you might enjoy reading the interview with Eastwood that appeared in the current issue of the venerable German newsmagazine Der Spiegel (no. 48, November 24, 2003). For those who can read German, the interview is online here. For those who can't, here is my translation:

... and here is an excerpt from the beginning of that ... ;)

SPIEGEL: Mr. Eastwood, is it true that you developed your famous killer gaze in the "spaghetti Westerns" of the sixties because you're nearsighted and you could see better when you squinted?

Eastwood: No, I see perfectly at a distance! Close up, it's a bit troublesome, but that's just how it is at my age. My eyes are especially sensitive to light. Probably that's why I've always squinted while shooting in glaring light. However, at that time I wasn't aware of the effect this would have on screen.
GBU

Name's Ash. Housewares.

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2003, 05:10:33 PM »

AH HA! I was correct.  Thanks!

You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N.
~ Dazed and Confused
grandpa_chum

If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2003, 07:41:27 PM »

yeah, i can't remember where, but i heard the same thing, that he squint began when he shot a fistful of dollars and became his trademark.  apparantly leone used huge lights to make spain look more like the old west and get that sweaty glare to the faces of the actors and clint didn't do to well looking at him, so he squinted. thats what i heard somewhere.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2003, 09:15:23 PM »

Yes, Eastwood has made similar statements in a number of interviews over the years.
grandpa_chum

If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2003, 10:57:34 AM »

Yes, Eastwood has made similar statements in a number of interviews over the years.

that musta been where i heard it, reading one of the interviews.
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2004, 06:13:00 AM »

Sort of like Christopher Lambert who has this 'look' in his eyes which makes him popular with women.
Apparently this 'look' is the result of his eyes going out of focus/blurry because he does not have his prescription glasses on.

Bye the way, what a great film Highlander is.  Pity about the sequels.

WKC.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T