News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GBU Special Edition May '04  (Read 50796 times)
thehorn

View Profile Email
« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2004, 09:41:08 AM »

The new release of GBU is really something to be excited about. The reinsertion of the previously deleted Italian scenes has my heart pumping, especially the scene where Angel Eyes visits the Confederate fort in search of Bill Carson. The camera work as it pans the scene while circling AE together with the music is heart stopping. I could only wish that this new release would make it to the big screen, if only to play in selected theaters for a brief time. Now that would really be something worth dying for!
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2004, 10:00:34 AM »

Howdy thehorn; the newly dubbed GB&U did have a limited release on the big screen-too bad you missed it.  I think there should be a Clint Eastwood western marathon on the big screen-I'd sit through all 10 of 'em!

“Eyuh.”
Ady

View Profile Email
« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2004, 09:31:22 AM »

Well, I had my DVD of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - Special Edition delivered through my door this morning. I haven't had a chance to watch anything on it yet, but I did take a look at the first 10 minutes of the main feature and it looks and sounds absolutely gorgeous!  :D

There's a sticker on the DVD cover that I'm gonna leave on there. It has a quote by Quentin Tarantino on it that says: "CINEMATICALLY PERFECT".  :)
Washingtonian

I get the wrong idea only when it suits me.

View Profile Email
« Reply #83 on: April 28, 2004, 07:20:05 AM »

So is it worth the 25 bucks or so that I will have to shell out?
cason85

View Profile Email
« Reply #84 on: April 28, 2004, 10:03:55 AM »

Holy crap! Definiite buy!
Washingtonian

View Profile Email
« Reply #85 on: April 28, 2004, 04:04:50 PM »

Ok. I just spent the twenty bucks that I had on the Unforgiven special edition. :) I'll have to go to the bank for this one, but I'm gonna get some money tomorrow too. I'll wait until I see it at a store and then will add a third copy of GBU to the collection.
Cal
Administrator

Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #86 on: April 28, 2004, 06:17:21 PM »

Just got my advanced copy today via FED EX. Will post more about it once I get a chance to go through it all. Lot's of stuff!
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #87 on: April 28, 2004, 06:31:58 PM »

Slightly advanced, Cal?  ;)
Sjes

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #88 on: April 30, 2004, 07:32:46 AM »

well........ ive just watched the film and the bonus materials. some really good stuff there.
and the picture and sound quality.. astonishing!!! and havng Clint and Eli to dub themselves in the inserted scenes work really well..........

this is a really need to have
Meridico

"The name on the grave is Arch Stanton."

View Profile Email
« Reply #89 on: May 02, 2004, 05:32:26 PM »

I am greatly looking forward to the release of this Special Edition of my favorite Movie.  I have had the date memorized for a couple of months now, ever since I first read about the upcoming release here.  The deleted scene with Blondie and Tuco having a longer conversation in the wagon before running into the Union Soldiers is the scene I am most looking forward to seeing.  The second is the scene where Blondie meets up with Angel Eye's Gang and kills one that sneaks up on them.  

I will be getting friends and family together alike to share the occation with me on the evening of May 18th.
ScreamingEagle

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #90 on: May 08, 2004, 02:42:14 AM »

Well, I've got my DVD.
Special Features are good.

I can't say whether I like the better sound quality or not, I prefer the original as it gave it that better feel of a Spaghetti Western. But hey whether you like the sound quality or not, it's your own decision.

Again, because of the better sound quality, you get an added BOOM with gunshots and explosion. Again you decide whether it is a good thing or not as the classic explosions give the film a more Spaghetti Western feel.

The added scenes are ok, good for Clint and Eli to do themselves for the dubbing in those. Even if there voices are a little old.

It's a shame though that Sir Christopher Frayling doesn't do any commentary in either DVD.

My only real disappointment with it is towards the end of the film where they play 'Ectasy of Gold' and the main theme at the credits, I'm not sure how to describe it. It has this like 'techno' echocing. Anyone else found this on there DVD?
Or is it just mine?

Anyway, good for you people who prefer GBU to OUATITW (damn you!) :P ;)
ScreamingEagle

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #91 on: May 08, 2004, 02:52:19 AM »

In terms of the music appearences in Kill Bill 2.

I've noticed the Angel Eyes theme from GBU, played when the Bride walks out of the wedding chapel.

The showdown music in FOD (known as 'For A Fistful of Dollars' in the music section of this site), played when after Bud shot 'The Bride'.
There are some other Ennio Morricone music in there aswell.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001LJCPC/qid=1084009862/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/002-8592245-7846405?v=glance&s=music

Washingtonian

View Profile Email
« Reply #92 on: May 11, 2004, 09:19:36 PM »

It's a week until it comes out! I cannot wait! I am going to so buy it!  ;D
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #93 on: May 12, 2004, 05:55:59 AM »

Quote:
My only real disappointment with it is towards the end of the film where they play 'Ectasy of Gold' and the main theme at the credits, I'm not sure how to describe it. It has this like 'techno' echocing. Anyone else found this on there DVD?
Or is it just mine?

That is what they do with single channel mono when split to at least five channels. They add reverb (a kind of echo) usually to the left and right surround speakers.
In a word it sounds ..... Crap!!
Totally new effects, annoying echo, sounds like another frustrated employee playing god with a classic.

Philo .
« Last Edit: May 12, 2004, 05:58:36 AM by philo » Logged

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #94 on: May 12, 2004, 06:02:31 AM »

sounds like another frustrated employee playing god with a classic.

Thank goodness that we have the original DVD release to preserve the correct soundtrack!   Here's hoping the Region 4 SE offers both original and new soundtracks...

WKC.

philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #95 on: May 12, 2004, 06:45:30 AM »

I wish it would although I doubt they recorded mono for the new sequences.

What bothers me the most (although I have yet to hear this new version) is that the Leone films have sound effects like no others. If they are messed around and changed for something that doesn't closely match, then it is going to really stand out.

I have switched between the awful 5.1 on Dirty Harry and the French mono and it (audio wise ) is now a different film. At the dub of the new version Don Siegel (if he had lived) would have to have more than his fingers crossed. From what we know of his simple straight approach, had he been involved, it wouldn't have happened.

Philo .

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #96 on: May 14, 2004, 05:09:11 PM »

I ordered the SE edition off of Ebay, should ship on the 18th....I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for it!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2004, 05:09:34 PM by Conan » Logged

Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #97 on: May 15, 2004, 07:34:21 PM »

I just saw a commercial for the DVD during the race. It had the quote from Tarrantino claiming it was the best directed movie of all time. 8)
Washingtonian

View Profile Email
« Reply #98 on: May 17, 2004, 06:26:24 PM »

The Friday or Saturday, I'll start checking the local stores. :)
JoeManco

View Profile Email
« Reply #99 on: May 17, 2004, 06:39:39 PM »

I had the great fortune to see the remastered version in the theaters when they released it a couple years ago. What an experience!!
I agree with Tarantino that it's the greatest directed movie of all time.

Any of you guys see it in the theater? The new footage is great! I saw the Italian version of it on the (now old) DVD but there's nothing quite like seeing it on the big screen. Lee Van Cleef's eyes were fifty feet across!!

What more could you ask for?

I wonder if I'll be able to squeeze the box into my "Man with no Name Trilogy" slipcase? Anybody know?

If you're gonna shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T