News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Once Upon Time Vs. Good Bad Ugly  (Read 30537 times)
1861navycolt

View Profile Email
« on: October 10, 2003, 06:14:55 PM »

I have been reading alot about Once Upon A Time In The West at the Leone discussion site.  I am sure many of you have been there as well but here is my question.  Over on the Leone Board many claim that Once Upon a Time is better than GBU and may be the greatest western ever.  I have never seen Once Upon A Time but I assume this is total foolishness.  Is it?  I wanted to get the opinions of Eastwood fans rather than the less biased bunch over at the Leone boards.  Opinions?
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2003, 06:18:46 PM »

I've seen both and feel that Once Upon a Time in the West is very possibly a better film than The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. I highly recommend that you see it and judge for yourself. If you appreciate Leone's style, then you'll love it. I prefer GBU because it has Clint!  :D  But I was in awe watching OUATITW... an absolutely phenomenal film.
the stranger

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2003, 06:24:34 PM »

I have to say I do find OUATITW a little dull, I think it has some wonderful moments, but it never holds me like TGTBATU, which I think is the complete EASTWOOD/LEONE western.
-Stranger-

When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2003, 06:27:21 PM »

I wouldn't know ... I've never been able to get through the hourlong opening sequence without falling asleep! ;)
the stranger

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2003, 06:32:51 PM »

To be honest, I have tried to like it so much, but I also do tend to nod off... :-[
-Stranger-

When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2003, 08:47:47 PM »

I've only seen OUTW once, so I'd have to watch it again to be sure, but I really liked the movie, but I'd probably still give the upper hand to GBU.
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2003, 03:00:55 AM »

I've only seen OAATITW once, and I suppose it deserves a rewatch soon.  
At the time I watched it I found it to be the lesser film, and although sometimes on rewatching a film years later these things can change, based on my memories, I doubt it will ever exceed GBU for me, although I expect that I might enjoy it more second time around.
So to conclude my rant:  GBU is the superior film.

WKC.

Holden Pike
Member Extraordinaire

"If they move, kill 'em."

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2003, 04:53:09 AM »

It isn't "total foolishness", it's opinion.

And in this cowpoke's opinion, yes, OUATITWest is the better film. For me it is THE Western, even more than Unforgiven and, in spite of my handle, The Wild Bunch. But really I'd rank all three of those Westerns above GB&U. Not that I don't love it and find it to be one of the best movies ever made, I just prefer those others a bit more.

"We're not gonna get rid of anybody. We're gonna stick together, just like it used to be. When you side with a man you stay with him, and if you can't do that you're like some animal, you're finished. We're all finished."
Xichado
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2003, 09:31:22 AM »

I quite enjoy GBU, but I feel that OUATITW was a more poetic and human feeling.

It's my opinion that Once Upon A Time In The West is a better movie, and to be honest, I think it's a masterpiece.

I like the languidly opening scene and the silence that draws me in. I like the plot and the characters in OUATIW more than in GBU.

I think there are similarities in both movies, I think the similarities are more relevant in the main characters that are trying to survive and stay afloat -in a way or another- but in the GBU we have three characters that are trying to "outsmart" eachother for the gold, in the OUATIW, just like in the GBU, there are characters whose paths have crossed along the way and although they remain in the same place/area for different reasons there is a cooperation and understanding between them -they also try to get their hands on the "gold", which is the price of McBain's propriety once the railroad arrives there.

Also the similarities of the events that are happening around the main characters, GBU is a story that happens during the civil war, man versus man, two different sides trying to prove to the other side that their view are better. In the OUATITW, there is a conflict of man versus nature, of man conquering nature while laying down the track of mankind destiny -which at the end of the movie that destiny is left "in progress".

GBU is a great movie, but I feel that OUATITW was a more poetic and human feeling.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2003, 09:10:40 AM by Xichado » Logged

"I'm an idealist. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way." Carl Sandburg
1861navycolt

View Profile Email
wow
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2003, 07:14:18 PM »

I am leaning toward running down to the store and getting the dvd the day it comes out.  
« Last Edit: October 12, 2003, 01:27:18 AM by 1861navycolt » Logged
CSM

"I ain't drunk."

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2003, 04:58:56 AM »

I am leaning toward running down to the store and getting the dvd the day it comes out.  
Me too.

I am a member of the Leone board, as I've said, and though GBU was a) my first Leone (and Eastwood) film, and b) one of my favorite movies ever, I'm still going with OUATITW.  No Clint, that's fine with me.  I love Clint but I can live without 'im.

"You can kill a man, but you can't kill what he stands for - not unless you first break his spirit.  That's - a beautiful thing to see!" - Cigarette-Smoking Man (William B. Davis), "The X-Files", "The Beginning" (6X01)
Lover of Eastwood & Leone
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2003, 07:28:30 AM »

No Clint, that's fine with me.  I love Clint but I can live without 'im.

OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD...... :o

Sorry about that,  I think I've recovered now.... :)

WKC.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2003, 07:30:02 AM by wkc » Logged

Xichado
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2003, 09:18:39 AM »

I hope you will come back and let us know your opinion. Sooner or later, I believe we will have our GBU Movie Discussion and I hope this topic will give us some good point for a good discussion.

I haven't seen OUATITW for quite some time -or GBU  :-[- and like you, I'm anxious to get my hands on this dvd.  ;)

Philo mentioned the release of the dvd some time back in the OT Discussion, (HERE).
« Last Edit: October 12, 2003, 09:31:05 AM by Xichado » Logged

"I'm an idealist. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way." Carl Sandburg
CSM

"I ain't drunk."

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2003, 03:14:09 PM »

OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD...... :o

Sorry about that,  I think I've recovered now.... :)

WKC.

Whoa, sorry!

What I MEANT was, I could survive a film without Clint in it.  That's all.  I'm sorry for any misconceptions.  ;D

"You can kill a man, but you can't kill what he stands for - not unless you first break his spirit.  That's - a beautiful thing to see!" - Cigarette-Smoking Man (William B. Davis), "The X-Files", "The Beginning" (6X01)
Bounty-Hunter

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2003, 10:01:08 PM »

I can't really compare since I've never seen Once Upon a time in the west.

But IMHO. A western without Clint Eastwood, just ain't a western.  ;D

"Go ahead make my day"
Hans

Email
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2003, 03:29:03 PM »

Leone started with 'fistful', an exercise for what was still to come.

Better was his second: '$$ more'. Remember the awesome wide screen opening shot, followed by Lee van Cleeff (the second star next to Clint): 'Does this train stop at Tucamcari?'. And dropping the beautiful woman from 'fistful' was also an improvement.

GBU, of course, was the fulfilment of the high hopes these twe previous films had produced. No beautiful women and 3 stars, of which Eli Wallach was the best. Unkike other westerns, the 3 main characters were all bad guys, with different shades of badness though.

OUATITW clearly was a setback: an extremeley beautiful women, no Clint, and no 3 stars. Charles Bronson did well, but I think Henri Fonda was a miscast. The 3rd actor was OK, but of a lesser caliber. It is the most 'American' (and the least 'spaghetti') of Leone's westerns, with Fonda playing the real bad guy, while the other two are basically decent guys.

So, in my view, Leone peaked in GBU!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2003, 01:09:31 AM by Hans » Logged
palooka
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2003, 06:55:48 AM »

‘Once Upon’ is available on a special ed 2 disc DVD. Check it out again. That opening scene is one of the best committed to celluloid!

Did you know it was Leone’s intention to have Eastwood, Van Cleef and Wallach waiting for Bronson at the train station?

And to par take in this thread … I prefer GBU, its not as stylish but much better paced. Neither are as good as Unforgiven. Just my opinion.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2003, 06:56:40 AM by palooka » Logged

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
CSM

"I ain't drunk."

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2003, 04:51:17 PM »

‘Once Upon’ is available on a special ed 2 disc DVD. Check it out again. That opening scene is one of the best committed to celluloid!

Did you know it was Leone’s intention to have Eastwood, Van Cleef and Wallach waiting for Bronson at the train station?

I'm fairly sure that's common knowledge palooka.  Guess who it was who turned the offer down?  ;)

Anyway, I don't think I've seen you before.  I'd say hello, but I'm not sure how long you've been around.  Oh well.  Hi anyway!  ;)

Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2003, 05:29:04 PM »

I love both of them but I think that Once Upon A Time In The West is a better film.
I remember that I used to think that OUATITW was dull(especially that opening scene that KC mentioned earlier) but somehow over the years I`ve begin to prefer it over GBU.Sorry guys ;)
I think the story and the villain in OUATITW are better than what they are in GBU.
I might think diffrently if Eastwood would have been Harmonica...or better yet Frank!
Well anyway both films are great and after I saw restored version of GBU I`m now looking for to see Once Upon A Time In The West`s DVD version because I only have it on videotape and the quality of that video sucks!
Meridico

"The name on the grave is Arch Stanton."

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2003, 09:11:15 AM »

I have never seen Once Upon a Time in the West.  I am now intrigued to do so.  GBU is my all time favorite movie above all movies, so it will have to be extremely good to top that.  I will look for this film on DVD next time I go out.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T