News: Coming in 2021: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Once Upon Time Vs. Good Bad Ugly  (Read 30536 times)
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2003, 11:12:20 AM »

I have never seen Once Upon a Time in the West.  I am now intrigued to do so.  GBU is my all time favorite movie above all movies, so it will have to be extremely good to top that.  I will look for this film on DVD next time I go out.
Once Upon a Time in the West is coming out on DVD November 18, so you'll soon get a good chance of finding it out. 8)
Sad Hill

Email
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2003, 07:50:57 PM »

I have never seen Once Upon a Time in the West.  I am now intrigued to do so.  GBU is my all time favorite movie above all movies, so it will have to be extremely good to top that.  I will look for this film on DVD next time I go out.

Don't get your hopes up. I found OUATITW to be a long agonizing bore. Once you see GBU nothing else compares. Rent OUATITW. You won't have to buy it because you'll never want to see it again. Thank GOD that Charles Bronson was not able to play the role of Tuco. It had to be a blessing from heaven.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2003, 10:30:20 PM »

Well said, Sad Hill!  ;D
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2003, 02:58:19 PM »

Like we all know opinions are like a**holes,everybody got one ;D
CSM

"I ain't drunk."

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2003, 04:12:10 PM »

Like we all know opinions are like a**holes,everybody got one ;D

Yes, it's a good thing too.

"You can kill a man, but you can't kill what he stands for - not unless you first break his spirit.  That's - a beautiful thing to see!" - Cigarette-Smoking Man (William B. Davis), "The X-Files", "The Beginning" (6X01)
Lover of Eastwood & Leone
Cowboy_Bebop

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2003, 08:36:29 PM »

??? Im very perplexed here. Im at a loss for words actually. Once Upon a Time in the West is just pretty blah. Ive tried numerous occasions to try to get into but i cant. Im very surprised that so much people think its better then GBU. The movie is pretty dull the character development is poor, frank doesnt really strike me as a bad guy and its just a real boring movie. The storys just doesnt flow like GBU it seems forced, choopy. I did like the opening sequence though that was pretty cool. I also liked jill mcbain simply gorgeous, just stunning words just cant describe her.
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2003, 09:33:14 AM »

frank doesnt really strike me as a bad guy and its just a real boring movie.
I`ve allways thought that killing a whole family is pretty bad thing ;)Maybe there are more villanious characters in other westerns(FAFDM`s Indio is also pretty bad) but I think Fonda`s Frank is among the best ones when it comes to being bad.
About the dullness of the OUATITW I used to think that way too.It`s not an"action"western like Leone`s earlier westerns with Eastwood.So if less killing means film is boring then you are right ??? ;D
Meridico

"The name on the grave is Arch Stanton."

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2004, 07:12:48 PM »

I asked for and recieved Sergio Leone's Once Upon a Time in the West for my 23rd birthday last week.  I got the two disc special edition released recently.  I watched it right away.  I was disappointed with the film in one area.  I will mention the positives first.  The cinematography was great and very stylistic of Leone's westerns, I also liked the music by Morricone.  The actors chosen played thier parts well.  It had a strong cast of well known actors for the time.

The area I disliked was the overall plot and story of the film.  It was very slow at points, and the viewer was left questioning what was going on most of the time.  A good film to me reveals a little bit at a time as you go along.  Once Upon a Time in the West leaves you questioning everything until the very end where it tries to tie it all up at once.  

The final showdown was in a dusty area with a half crumbled stone wall like the films in the Man with no Name trilogy.  The music began to play and the characters sized each other up in classic style.  Then they draw right quick and the Harmonica player fires.  Sure, it was realistic but there were no surprises or anything mixing the match up any.  In For a Few Dollars more, the battle seemed to be in the favor of Indio until Manco plays the watch Music and gives his gunbelt to the Colonel.  In The Good the Bad and The Ugly, it was a surpise three way gunfight and the trick was that Blondie had unloaded Tuco's gun ahead of time.  Once Upon a Time in the West had no interesting twist at the final gunfight.  

I was left with a feeling of unsatisfaction after the movie reached its end.  It started off well, and then dragged its feet until the very end.  I did not feel for the characters like I felt for Blondie and Tuco and thier experiences.

It was still a good movie, with the positives I mentioned at the beginning, but the plot and slow advancement of the story killed the experience somewhat for me.  I asked for the movie because I had read many reviews here of people who paralled it to The Good The Bad and The Ugly as one of the greats, with some even preferring it over GBU.  

My final opinion is different.  I liked it okay and will probably watch it again in a year or two, but it was nowhere near as good as GBU for me.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2004, 07:15:13 PM by Meridico » Logged
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2004, 07:26:19 PM »

I agree. I liked Once Upon a Time in the West, but it doesn't quite have what The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly has.
The final showdown was in a dusty area with a half crumbled stone wall like the films in the Man with no Name trilogy.  The music began to play and the characters sized each other up in classic style.  Then they draw right quick and the Harmonica player fires.  Sure, it was realistic but there were no surprises or anything mixing the match up any.  In For a Few Dollars more, the battle seemed to be in the favor of Indio until Manco plays the watch Music and gives his gunbelt to the Colonel.  In The Good the Bad and The Ugly, it was a surpise three way gunfight and the trick was that Blondie had unloaded Tuco's gun ahead of time.  Once Upon a Time in the West had no interesting twist at the final gunfight.
That's a good observation. I never thought of that.
ScreamingEagle

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2004, 08:58:05 AM »

I disagree. Once Upon A Time In The West is a masterpiece compared with The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly. And is my favourite western. It does reveal the plot little by little throughout.

I loved the showdown between Bronson and Fonda. It is said that the close up of Bronson's eyes is the closest ever. And good acting on Bronson's part, he didn't blink once.
The flashback to Harmonica's brother being hung is a reflection to the end of The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly, in that when Tuco is hanging by a noose it is obviously a joke. In Once Upon A Time In The West it twists that into the ultimate nightmare.
ScreamingEagle

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2004, 09:01:11 AM »

The thing with that. Yes it is reasonably obvious that Bronson will win the showdown. Sergio Leone makes u forget who will win and turn you attention to why they are doing this. Which is shown in the flashback, with Frank killing Harmonica's brother.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2004, 09:08:22 AM by ScreamingEagle » Logged
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2004, 06:57:11 PM »

Meridico, I've merged your topic with an older one we had comparing the same two films.
MakeItVin

I admire your notion of fair odds, Mister!

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2004, 02:12:58 AM »

Both OUTIW and GBU are long movies, which is great from a movie-goer's standpoint.  GBU is a classic.  I wouldn't consider OUTIW to be anywhere near the status of any of the spaghetti westerns; it's just a long and decent movie.  Large numbers of stars doesn't necessarily mean a good movie, especially when each  star gets "x" number of minutes doing pretty much nothing.  But, no action + star names + great scenery = a good movie (or can), so there it is.

The Man with No Name was so bored, watching all those turkeys float by on the river, that he went "west" and, well, the rest is history.....!!   ;D  
ScreamingEagle

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2004, 06:19:34 AM »

Large numbers of stars doesn't necessarily mean a good movie, especially when each  star gets "x" number of minutes doing pretty much nothing.

Try telling that to the people who don't like OUATITW because it doesn't have Clint Eastwood in.
But of course, on a forum for Clint Eastwood, that the majority will say that they're favourite western would be one with Clint in like The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly or Unforgiven or Outlaw Josey Wales.
Lots and lots of Action does not always make a good film, if that were true, films like..... Die Hard would be considered the greatest movies ever.
il buono

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2004, 02:07:09 PM »

I love GBU but I'd have to go with OUATITW.  They're both epic but OUATITW is absolutely majestic.  
MakeItVin

I admire your notion of fair odds, Mister!

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2004, 05:11:32 PM »

I realize that Clint's not in OUTITW - that's not why I don't appreciate it.  That movie just plain puts me to sleep.  A movie doesn't have to have non-stop action to be good - quite to the contrary: non-stop action is usually a sure-fire sign that the movie-maker's brains are dead.  But when you see a title like OUTITW, you're likely to assume you've got an epic on your hands.  OUTITW is an epic, an epic bore....
Meridico

"The name on the grave is Arch Stanton."

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2004, 10:42:49 PM »

Matt - Yeah no problem with the topic merge, my new one continues the discussion from the old one nicely. :)

Once Upon a Time in the West had great music, scenery, and as mentioned great closeups.  However, the plot was somewhat drab and boring.  It is indeed a masterpeice in the areas I have mentioned as being the film's positive qualities.  It looses something along the way though, and disappoints at the end.  I knew Harmonica would win the gunfight.  I just expected some interesting little twist that seemed to have become the standard for the Leone films' final gunfight scenes.  It didn't, it just showed us a flashback as to why Harmonica wanted Frank dead.  While that was interesting, it left me feeling ripped off.  I ha dwatched the slowmpaced film the entire time through only to have what seemed like a rushed gunfight at the end.  The pacing sped up all of a sudden and it was over.  

It is a great film in many ways, but it lacks in what draws me to GBU the most, story that I can relate to and characters that capture my imagination.  OUATITW did neither for me.

Makes a nice addition to my DVD collection, but now my sights are set on the region1 release of the GBU Special Edition.  :D  
Kal Varnsen

Looking for Jimbo, eh?

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2004, 07:21:45 AM »

I have seen all movies directed by Sergio Leone. While I prefer the ones starring Clint, I love the others as well. But I do have a few complaints about Once Upon a Time in the West. Like a few others have said, it's a bit slow and there is very little action for such a long movie. ;)
Charles Bronson just doesn't feel right for the role he played. Or maybe the role wasn't right. He's a man with no name, but he isn't THE man with no name. He doesn't talk much, but he doesn't shoot much either. He doesn't do much of anything at all. :P
The music is great of course and I liked the showdown with the flashback.
ScreamingEagle

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2004, 01:47:25 PM »

Charles Bronson just doesn't feel right for the role he played. Or maybe the role wasn't right. He's a man with no name, but he isn't THE man with no name. He doesn't talk much, but he doesn't shoot much either. He doesn't do much of anything at all. :P

Erm..... the film isn't about the death count.
I don't think it was Leone's intention to have Harmonica exactly like "THE" man with no name. For one thing he plays a Harmonica instead of smoking a ciggarello.
Clint Eastwood's Man with No Name character didn't talk much either.
Kal Varnsen

Looking for Jimbo, eh?

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2004, 04:06:12 PM »

Yes...? What point are you trying to make? My point was that Harmonica is boring, while the man with no name (from the Dollars trilogy) isn't.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T