News: Coming in 2021: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Once Upon Time Vs. Good Bad Ugly  (Read 30539 times)
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2004, 03:12:33 AM »

The idea of having Henry Fonda as a bad guy was very important. He's been in a lot of John Ford American Westerns as the good guy, his full filmography is below.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000020/

When he was starring in the role of Frank (the blue-eyed, women and child killer), when he emerges from the brush advancing towards the remaining child, when the audience would finally see his face and see it was Henry Fonda, the audience was expected to be shocked and shout 'Jesus Christ, It's Henry Fonda!!!'

Which sadly ages the film for the current audience who are not John Ford/Henry Fonda fans.  

Question:  Without this historical reference, how does Fonda's performance stand up?  For me, very good, but not brilliant.

WKC.

Agent
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2004, 06:57:07 AM »

I've always wondered why Leone was almost obsessed with getting Fonda in one of his movies. I mean, he was no doubt a great and legendary actor, but his role in this movie, especially with all that makeup and mascara on - doesn't do it for me. It's the same as if Leone would've cast Jimmy Stewart or Cary Grant to play the part....just very odd.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it." - Clint Eastwood
tmw3nyc

My mule don't like you painting the town red.

View Profile Email
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2004, 03:34:36 PM »

I heard that mentioned on the DVD and even before I saw the film last year (about how important it was for Fonda to have that role) but for me I had no history with Fonda.  All I saw him in was maybe The Ox Bow Incident and maybe scenes from On Golden Pond.   I hear My Darling Clementine is good.  

I agree with WKC:
He was OK in his role  but there was no shock value or anything; it didn't add any mystique for me, even if it did resonate with older crowds back when it came out.
Charles (All I want are my MELONS!!! ) Bronson was more recognizable and even Jason Robards, which worked against his role more.  At least not knowing a lot about Fonda, it was like maybe he was a tough guy back then.

The same thing happened with Peter Fonda a few years ago with Ulee's Gold? where he was a beekeeeper or something like that.  Everyone talked about the Barrymore's and the Fonda's and the American acting families, but to the younger crowd this history( Easy Rider etc.) aren't too relevant i don't think.
MakeItVin

I admire your notion of fair odds, Mister!

View Profile Email
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2004, 01:52:20 PM »

Personally, I don't think Fonda did all that bad as a bad guy.  I never noticed the makeup, maybe it was because they all wear makeup for the lighting on the set, and his just showed through more?  Anyway, I thought Fonda was the right blend of stoic, hardened, and willful.  I've been renting OUTITW lately, and have seen it enough to change my mind on it.  Maybe Leone considered Fonda to be a major name actor to bring credibility to his flick (not that he needed it) and Bronson was a major name but not necessarily that popular, and therefore perfect for the man opposite Fonda?
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2004, 05:19:26 PM »

Bronson not that popular......

I dunno Vin.

WKC.

ScreamingEagle

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2004, 03:11:01 AM »

Bronson not that popular......

I dunno Vin.

WKC.

thje problem with Bronsons acting career is that it started too late. He made his name in The Magnificent Seven. And he was in his late thirties.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T