News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New weekly UK Eastwood magazine  (Read 14140 times)
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« on: March 24, 2004, 01:51:02 PM »

Good news for UK fans, I have just seen a commercial for a new Clint Eastwood magazine that focuses on one film a week and includes that film on DVD.

This is the same format as the recent "Carry on" collection.

The good news is that they featured the "Which way" films in the trailer and they have yet to be released on DVD here.

Warner's will get their cut but I feel they have lost out not releasing some of these themselves.

Gant,
Could see a clip of Where eagles dare, not sure about the others we want.
Good news for once on extras, the magazine copies usually feature none but as the Eastwood discs have very little anyway this is no loss.

Will post more as soon as I know it. First film is Dirty Harry .... price £3.99 .

Philo .    

« Last Edit: March 25, 2004, 02:14:14 PM by mgk » Logged

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2004, 02:23:02 PM »

Here is a link to the web site.

http://www.deagostini.co.uk/eastwood/

Philo .
« Last Edit: March 25, 2004, 02:14:37 PM by mgk » Logged

philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2004, 02:48:57 PM »

Some of the discs even have extras. They are not giving the full rundown of films but the fact that UK masters exist of films such as Tightrope, White hunter black heart etc, means that Gant will have everything crossed.  ;)

Philo .

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2004, 05:31:12 PM »

Wow, Philo, that seems almost too good to be true, gotta get me one of those multi regional DVD players.

One detail, though ... from the FAQ:

What is the frequency of the magazine?

Fortnightly.
 ;)

philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2004, 08:33:28 PM »

Hi KC ,

I wish that was all I got wrong  ;) I was unable to get the FAQ to work at time of posting.

Philo .
« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 08:33:47 PM by philo » Logged

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2004, 01:43:40 AM »

Hey... great news Philo..... ;D

I thought the Carry On magazine/dvd  series was good. I treated myself to Carry On Camping. A personal favourite... ;)

I'd much rather get the Eastwood films I want this way   than buy those horrible box sets.... :)

Everythings crossed.................. ;D
« Last Edit: March 25, 2004, 01:44:16 AM by Gant » Logged

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2004, 02:12:13 AM »

can we buy them at the newsagent or do we have to buy on-line?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2004, 03:25:49 AM by vik » Logged

england -  its flag the St George flag
allycat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2004, 05:52:24 AM »

Hey, I was going to post about this, you guys got there before me!

My dad actually bought me this two nights ago. About the best thing he's done for me for years. I didn't actually have Dirty Harry on DVD yet, only on video. Unfortunately the DVD doesn't have any extras, and I note that it is available to buy on Region 2 elsewhere, with 2 documentaries included, for £14.99 I think. But still, £3.99 for DH on DVD plus a magazine is pretty good. The price goes up to £8.99 for the second issue, which still isn't bad considering you get Unforgiven free with that one. I won't be buying that one though as I already have the special edition version on DVD which I got for Christmas.

I was a little suspicious at first because the price was so low and also it came from the local newsagent's, (in answer to your q. vik) but the quality is actually very good. I'm not sure whether the DVD version is actually remastered as the magazine states, as I couldn't really tell from looking at the opening of the film, but this is still a very good offer and well worth the money.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2004, 05:54:00 AM by allycat » Logged

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2004, 07:16:41 AM »

Ally, what's in the magazine? Is it worth picking up even if we already have the DVD and/or can't watch R2 DVDs?
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2004, 11:37:44 AM »

« Last Edit: March 25, 2004, 11:39:48 AM by Gant » Logged

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
allycat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2004, 01:32:09 PM »

Yes Gant, you got it!

I have to say KC, that it's not a very thick volume, but then for £3.99 it ain't bad. Let me get it from upstairs and tell you what's in it. I don't know if I'll be able to tell you much more than what's on the website...

Ok. Here it is.

First of all it gives you the chance to subscribe to get '5 fantastic free gifts.' You get:

1) An exclusive CE DVD storage box
2)A Clint T-shirt. It looks like it's got the Dirty Harry poster on the front - the image of Clint anyway
3)A pair of Dirty Harry style sunglasses :)
4) A stylish CE binder :D Presumably to keep all the magazines in
5) A cd of 'music for the movies of Clint Eastwood'

Pretty good huh?

So...the magazine is divided into the following sections:

The Main Feature: Here's where you'll find out about the movie's plot, read some classic Clint quotes and hear what the critics had to say.

A Life in the Movies: Follow the career of Clinton Eastwood Jr from his birth in 1930 to the roles that have made him one of cinema's greatest stars.

In the Making: Get the low-down on how the movie was made, from developing the script and selecting the cast through to the drama of shooting.

Inside Hollywood: Take a deeper look at some of the film genres that Clint has made his own: from 'rogue cop' to 'revenge western'.

The magazine - the current issue anyway - is 12 pages long excluding the cover and back page.

I'm not sure the info in it is anything you haven't already got KC. The format seems to be more for people who aren't already die-hard fans (like us!), for people who don't know much about Clint perhaps. It does provide an interesting read though.

The last section of the current issue (1) is quite interesting actually (the 'Inside Hollywood' feature). This issue it's 'Cops in Action' and it compares Dirty Harry with other cop films of the time - In the Heat of the Night, Bullitt (I love Bullitt!) and The French Connection.
The last page reproduces the original Dirty Harry poster, with the caption 'Detective Harry Callahan. He doesn't break murder cases. He smashes them.'

Check it out and see what you think!

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
Big-matt

Gotta light

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2004, 04:05:22 PM »

Got mine today  ;D im going to subscribe to get the box"for the dvd's" the folder for the mags, the dirty harry glass's and the tee shirt... this is great news..

I tried being reasonable,
I didn't like it.
Hammerhead

Get the hell out of the way, hammerhead.

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2004, 07:20:53 AM »

Hmm, forgive me for not getting too excited about this magazine, but with the exception of the first issue, it does seem to be pretty expensive.

You can regularly pick up Clint's Warner output for around £5 in the UK - at the moment Virgin have a 2 for £10 offer that has most of the titles.

I even picked up the 2-disc version of Unforgiven for £4.99 on-line last month (although that company has now gone bust.)

That said, I am looking forward to R2 versions of Tightrope, White Hunter etc - if the series gets that far. Quite often these things fold before the end of the intended run due to a tail off in sales. And they are not included in the 10 films mentioned on the website.

Sorry to be so negative!  :)
ak260665

U heros killed a dozen people last week..

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2004, 08:01:50 AM »

Here Here!..to the last comment..i have most of whats alraedy available on the R2 market but have subscribed on line to get the freebes especially the Box for keeping the collection....Have to c if my own collection will fit & just make up the missing films...sorry to b a poop 2 to the new collection but we're not all made of money and 'at the end of the day' (apparently the most common quote these days!) Warner have already made a few bob out of me :-\..
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2004, 10:40:02 AM »

ok now i ain't kidding
the brits are getting clint for 3.99 a dvd
so thats a bargain i am certain

so go down to the newsagents
and buy up them all up
and have a great weekend watching the lot

allycat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2004, 12:57:02 PM »

vik, I leave it to you to get straight to the point - your posts are a refreshing change!

I agree with you - I need to spend a weekend or two just watching Clint films and nothing but. Then maybe I can join in the trivia games in which I long to participate.

Everyone who lives in Blighty who hasn't got Dirty Harry on DVD yet - you may as well buy the first issue - at £3.99 you can't afford not to!

vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2004, 01:22:30 PM »

thanks ally

i think warners have given the brits a chance to see and read about clint and thats just great

allycat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2004, 01:29:11 PM »

A good point vik, but as BA would say from the A-Team, I pity the fool who doesn't already know about Clint!

How could you not know...

Gino M

The Godfather... as a kid.

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2004, 01:51:53 PM »

Hmmm.. I wonder if I an I can talk my local Barnes & Noble into carrying this as they have a lot of Brithch and European magazines on stock

"I'm in waste management!!  If anyone asks you...."You ain't seen nothin'!"
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2004, 01:12:51 AM »

you didn't finish your sentence ally ....

clint clint clint clint clint clint clint clint clint clint clint clint

---- ok
« Last Edit: March 28, 2004, 02:08:02 AM by vik » Logged