News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rawhide on air  (Read 11903 times)
Pete Nolan

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2004, 08:49:09 AM »

i can see where you are coming from KC. i know and you know that Clint wasn't exactly enamored with his role of Rowdy Yates and that is why he ended up trying to distance himself from that role with his spaghetti westerns.

and from an actor's standpoint, i can see that because Rowdy was hardly a complex character.

but i do believe many fans liked Clint's portrayal of Rowdy and you would think he would try to use his star power to get something done with regard to the DVDs.

the only reason i rant about this is because you see how much "junk" is released on DVDs these days. and to think that a long running and very successful show like Rawhide is left out is a bit distressing.

fans (including me) should probably write directly to Clint and let him know we want the series on DVD. maybe if enough of us do it, he will try to get the ball rolling.

Head 'em up and move 'em out!
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2004, 04:59:56 AM »

Howdy KC & Pete.  I agree-Rawhide should be made available in season box-set dvds asap.  I would love the extras, but will settle for at least having the series.  I'm debating on whether or not to order what's available now, but I know I'll regret it if/when the entire series comes out because of redundancy.  Do either of you know for sure who owns it?  That's who should be written to and I definitely would take that on myself if I had the correct information.  Head 'em up!  Move 'em out!

“Eyuh.”
Pete Nolan

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2004, 09:42:46 AM »

i am pretty sure Viacom owns Rawhide and has for some time. i taped virtually the entire run of the show off broadcast TV back in the late 80's and Viacom had it then. and i believe Viacom still had it with the mid 90s release on the FX channel and now with Hallmark.

writing to them is probably not a bad idea at all. but i think if a major star like Clint was solidly behind the project they would be more enthusiastic about doing it.

and another reason they should do it soon is that we are starting to get the point where there are fewer and fewer people who are even familiar with the show because it was made over 40 years ago. and the people who are most likely to buy the series are people over 40 and not today's young people.

anyways, i will keep hoping and praying that two of my favorite shows from the 60s (Rawhide and Get Smart) will be released on DVD within the next year or two. and like you guys, i would settle for just the series and not complain too much if there are no extras. but the extras would sure be nice to have. i love the extras on my Babylon 5 DVDs!

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2004, 09:46:54 AM »

I agree that I'd doubt Eastwood would be interested in doing commentary tracks for any of the shows, but I could see him possibly sitting down for an interview related to his involvement with the show. They could do this for the surviving cast members.
Pete Nolan

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2004, 11:24:50 AM »

i was in Sam's Club today. and do you know what i saw there in a DVD boxed set?

Have Gun Will Travel ???

now i have seen only a little of that show and i can tell you that in no way does it compare to Rawhide. yet, there it was in all its glory in a complete 39 ep boxed set! and right beside it was Little House on the Prairie :o

oh well.  :(

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2004, 11:55:44 AM »

For some reason, Rawhide isn't considered one of the all-time greats, like Bonanza, The Rifelman and Big Valley.  Have faith, though, Pete.  Considering the amount of junk currently available, Rawhide is bound to make it's way to dvd.  How bad could it have been if it lasted 8 seasons!  :)

“Eyuh.”
Pete Nolan

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2004, 03:20:11 PM »

i just had another thought Jed.

i wonder if Viacom is waiting for Clint to die so they don't have to pay him any royalties?? :o

of course there is a very good chance that Clint has no rights to royalties from Rawhide (just like the original Star Trek cast got nothing from all those reruns) either.

but you are right. time to stop b*$@hing about it and just chat about something more positive like what our favorite eps are or who are favorite guest stars were. the interesting choice of spelling Jesus as "Hey Soos" in the credits. stuff like that.  :D

howie

A MAN HAS TO KNOW HIS LIMITATIONS

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2004, 09:08:13 AM »

I watch Rawhide Saturdays on HC too.  Not only do the commercials irritate me, but they cut into the ending  theme song to show what is coming up next.  Even though I get to hear it at the beginning of the show, I still like to hear it agian at the end of the show.  Same goes for Hawaii Five-O, but that is another web discussion I guess.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2004, 04:29:29 PM »

i just had another thought Jed.

i wonder if Viacom is waiting for Clint to die so they don't have to pay him any royalties?? :o

of course there is a very good chance that Clint has no rights to royalties from Rawhide (just like the original Star Trek cast got nothing from all those reruns) either.

but you are right. time to stop b*$@hing about it and just chat about something more positive like what our favorite eps are or who are favorite guest stars were. the interesting choice of spelling Jesus as "Hey Soos" in the credits. stuff like that.  :D

"Hey Soos"?!?!?!  :o  Hey Sue!  ::) Too funny.

Well, I was wrong about what's available through Columbia House.  What they have is 3 episode dvds priced at approx. $20 each!  Like the original Star Trek & Twilight Zone, they (whomever distributes them) want to take us for a ride to get as much money possible before issuing them in season box-sets format!  Argh!  >:(
I hope it doesn't take something drastic like Clint's passing for them to see the light of day.  To be honest, I was thinking that but didn't want to voice it here.  Too often we see that happen; I cite Dean Martin cds as a perfect example.  Before he died in 1995, I was lucky to find 2 cds on the guy.....now there's loads available.

I wish the Westerns Channel would air Rawhide instead of Hopalong Cassidy!  ;D
« Last Edit: May 14, 2004, 04:31:14 PM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Pete Nolan

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2004, 06:51:55 PM »

i agree Howie about the annoying commericials over the endings! they do that with virtually all shows now because the old shows ran much longer and they need to get in their ads whenever and wherever they can.

and Jed, i have a feeling you are right about us fans being held over the coals on the DVDs. they will probably do it just like with Star Trek and Twilight Zone and release them as singles first. at least with Twilight Zone they did finally release boxed sets.

it sure would be nice if Clint could "ramrod" them to get the DVDs done the right way.  ;)

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2004, 04:01:56 AM »

I think the only thing left to say about getting those Rawhide episodes on dvd is......"Head 'em up! Move 'em out!"  ;D

I meant to comment about the credits, too.  I can see why that would be bothersome.  To vent a little, I've noticed for years now that some stations actually increase the volume during commercials!  How annoying is that?!  >:(

Ok, I'm done venting.  :-\

“Eyuh.”
Fan

Rawhide is the best! buy it!

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2004, 08:37:36 AM »

Colombia house has all of season 1 on DVD and some of season 2.  The shows are uncut and the picture is remasered.  the picture quality is fantastic.  They also have closed captioning available.  I have asked them if they are planning on doing the entire series, and I get answers ranging from 'I don't know' to 'check for future listing of Rawhide on DVD' to ' it is possible that we will not have all episodes on DVD'.  After repeated questioning they are starting to come around with the answer, 'yes, we will be doing the entire series' and they 'expect one episode to be completed per week'. of course only some of the representative at Columbia House know what they are doing so most still answer ' check for future additions of Rawhide on DVD'.  I have to say that I am surprised that I don't see any posts on this website about Rawhide coming out on DVD. It's one of the  greatest additions ever made to DVD, and noone is really talking about it.  
« Last Edit: May 28, 2004, 08:40:48 AM by Fan » Logged
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2004, 11:05:21 AM »

I have to say that I am surprised that I don't see any posts on this website about Rawhide coming out on DVD. It's one of the  greatest additions ever made to DVD, and no one is really talking about it.  

Hi Fan,

Thanks for the info.  If I'm not mistaken, Rawhide is not currently available in season box-set format, which would be ideal since they were on the air for 7-8 years.  I won't collect them if there's only a few episodes on each disc-that would fill an entire wall!  If/when Rawhide is finally released on dvd in season box-set format, I plan on posting the info. myself, unless I'm beaten to it!   ;)

“Eyuh.”
Fan

Rawhide is the best! buy it!

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2004, 07:20:18 AM »

Well, I hope Columbia House does the entire series. It takes some time to got the shows  on DVD, because they started in November 2003 and until May 2004 they have made 8 disks available, so it may take some time for them to all be available.  I hope they do the entire series.  
As a note to those Rawhide fans that watch the Hallmark Channel, as many are aware, those episode are cut! they are only showing about 40 minutes of approximately 51 minute episdoes.  
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2004, 07:30:06 AM »

I hope the entire series becomes available too.  The sooner the better.  I've been collecting MASH going on a couple of years now and have the first 5 seasons.  It's too bad that those responsible are releasing Rawhide very slowly and not in season box-set format.  Even if they started now, it would take some time to get the entire series out.  The first Star Trek series (1966-69) is still only avaialbe at 2 episodes per disc!  That's outrageous, very costly and takes up way too much space.  If it can be done for shows like Law & Order, CSI and the other Star Trek shows (all aired on tv in 1hr time-slots), it certainly can be done for the original Star Trek & Rawhide.

I don't have the Hallmark channel, so I'll have to look into that.  I would rather see the unedited versions of each Rawhide episode, but will take what I can get until it's released in the format I desire.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2004, 08:15:38 AM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T